The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Braeside

Edward, Thanks for the 16-35 shots, looks like a good lens, certainly sharper than the Tamron 17-35 that I have (as we should expect).

edwardkaraa

Edward, Thanks for the 16-35 shots, looks like a good lens, certainly sharper than the Tamron 17-35 that I have (as we should expect).
Hi David,

It is definitely an excellent lens. I have to confess it is not as sharp (slightly and only by pixel peeping) as the 24-70 between 24 and 35mm. The 24-70 is an exceptional lens, and 35mm is its sweet spot. However, 16-35 photos do look very sharp if you view them by themselves, and of course, if you buy this lens, it's because you need the extra coverage below 24mm. It also has some other advantages over the 24-70 such as less noticeable CA and distortion (almost nil at 24mm). The sharpness at 16mm is simply amazing.

jonoslack

It's the Zeiss shot at f/2.4
Ahhh - I've just got back from the camera shop - lucky I saw this afterwards!

I just bought . . . . . wait for it . . . . . a Tamron 28-300! for £300.
We're off skiing tomorrow, and carrying the Zeiss 24-70 and the Sony 70-300 is simply too much. Added to which, I'll be shooting mostly at small aperture.

I can get the A900 with the tamron, and the Sigma 12-24 in a little lowpro sling-shot 100 (I don't normally like this sort of bag, but on a chair lift you can just pull it round to the front rather than having to take it off each time).

Mind you, playing with the lens in the shop, it seems to be much sharper than one might imagine.

jonoslack

Jono, what a great source of lovely objects you have in your kitchen.
Thank you David - it's the wife's magpie qualities which has done it - it's a double edged sword though - I even have to sneak out to the dump at night to get rid of old floppy disks :ROTFL:

Braeside

Jono - Let us know how the Tamron 28-300 works out on holiday. I have a similar problem here. I'm trying to decide what to take for a trip next month and can't decide what to take and what to leave behind. On one hand I could go light, but then would not have the best quality lenses. I have a 28-105 Minolta that is reasonable when stopped down. However I also have the Tamron 17-35, 24-70 CZ and the 70-300G as well as less used 80-200G and Minolta 100 macro 50/1.7 , Sigma 24/2.8.

picman

Hi Edward - I dream of them updating it to use a silent wave motor for the focusing (it's screwdriver isn't it?)
That's what made me hesitate too, but PMA has come and gone and I do not see it happening anytime soon. So it's on order :D.

Cheers, Bob.

Quentin_Bargate

Great mono shot, David.

And lots of other cool stuff from Jono, Edward, everyone. I'd like the 135mm but I already have the excellent 85mm F1.4.

Quentin

Braeside

Thanks Quentin, just playing around with Silver Efex Pro. I downloaded the demo today and am becoming addicted to it.

jonoslack

HI David
Jono - Let us know how the Tamron 28-300 works out on holiday. I have a similar problem here. I'm trying to decide what to take for a trip next month and can't decide what to take and what to leave behind. On one hand I could go light, but then would not have the best quality lenses. I have a 28-105 Minolta that is reasonable when stopped down. However I also have the Tamron 17-35, 24-70 CZ and the 70-300G as well as less used 80-200G and Minolta 100 macro 50/1.7 , Sigma 24/2.8.
I'm sure I'll be able to fish out a few shots!

I wasn't going to take the A900 at all - these days I usually just take a compact for those skiing moments, but my son wanted me to take some snowboarding pictures of him - he's just doing his third season working in the resort, and is planning University next autumn, so it might just be his peak! it seemed that I ought to take something better.

I've got almost the same lenses as you:
Sigma 12-24, 24-70 CZ and 70-300G 100 macro- I thought the Tamron would do instead of the CZ and the G lens (that's a lot of weight and space saving!) In that snowy light I'll be able to stop right down, so hopefully it'll do the job. It seemed surprisingly good in the store.

Quentin_Bargate

Here's a recent shot with the A900 and Zeiss 24-70mm converted to mono (top), plus one of Fairford Mill from the Mamiya ZD (bottom)

Quentin

Last edited:

jonoslack

Lovely Quentin
I like the Halifax add best :)
Have a great time in Dubai. We're at Stansted waiting for our flight to Geneva

Braeside

On the topic of snow and Ski-ing etc. This is a rework of a set of 5 exposures shot for HDR, but this time 'enfused' rather than tonemapped. I like the effect better (more natural). Sony A100 CZ16-80

jonoslack

Lovely David
We've just woken up on our first day in the resort - there was 50cm fresh snow overnight, so if the sun would just come out :):p:):D:clap::thumbs: