The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

S

Shelby Lewis

Re: And another...

Albert... LOTS of detail in these. You definitely know how to pull it out of those files :)

How are you lighting these (specifically)? They have an on-camera flash "look" to them, but the coverage is wide and even... maybe a single strobe right next to your ladder?

Thanks for sharin'

Here are a few high-school senior guys (from the thread I started a few moments ago):

APY_JR

Hi Shelby!

Albert... LOTS of detail in these. You definitely know how to pull it out of those files :)

Thanks Shelby!

How are you lighting these (specifically)? They have an on-camera flash "look" to them, but the coverage is wide and even... maybe a single strobe right next to your ladder?

Yes... exactly... with a 7" reflector feathered up about 45 degrees... to try and equalize the exposure front to back. The rest is done in post ( layer mask hide all for one lighter exposure on the top layer then gradient filled)

Thanks for sharin'

My pleasure!

Here are a few high-school senior guys (from the thread I started a few moments ago):

Excellent shots Shelby... I admire your work and results also!

Good job and thank YOU for sharing!

Albert

Albert

S

Shelby Lewis

Love this light... morning window light

... plus a little bit of doughnut on the face to add character :D

dhsimmonds

Edward

Great shots, I particularly like the 100 macro shot. This lens never ceases to amaze me. It graunches and grinds away but in the end comes up with the shot!

P

panyawong

Enjoying a free show last night @Yerba Buena Gardens Festival.
A Balinese Shadow Play - Wayang Bali by ShadowLight Productions
In Thailand, there is a similar play which is called "Nang-Ta-Lung".
The guy sits next to me has a Leitz Noct 0.95 on a film camera, wondering how his pictures will turn out.

S

Shelby Lewis

My little girl... this evening:

BTW.... no "soft focus" treatment on this. The sigma 50/1.4 gets a tad "dreamy" in certain lighting conditions near 1.4 (here f/2) while still remaining sharp with decent micro-contrast. It's a different look for sure.

same "sweet" kid....during a game of footie a few hours later :D:

dhsimmonds

Great shots Shelby.....I love the portrait, as you say the Siggie has a nice rendering with the a900 natural colours. I also like the football match, I am really envious for your freedom to take pictures of kids in the U.S.

I took my camera to take piccies of my grandson's (11 years) cricket match in his home village and was politely and apologetically asked not to take any photo's. The organisers have to ask all the parents by law now if they minded photo's being taken. There was just one dissenter which meant that there were to be no pictures taken and therefore no pictorial records of the event.

Many of the parents including my own daughter and son-in-law would have really loved some decent photo's of their kids playing our national summer sport.:( We do have a general election coming up soon though if the winning administration have the guts to reverse some of this mess!:thumbs:

On another more positive note, in the same village one of my donated framed pictures raised £150 (GBP) at a charity auction in aid of restoration work for the local church......so photography is still respected and considered respectable by most people.:D

robmac

What a paranoid, politically-correct mess. One parent (in this case) spoils it for every other parent and grandparent. Give it time, I'm sure the pool of idiots we have to elect from here (Canada) will follow suit in due course.

jonoslack

What a paranoid, politically-correct mess. One parent (in this case) spoils it for every other parent and grandparent. Give it time, I'm sure the pool of idiots we have to elect from here (Canada) will follow suit in due course.
Hi there
It's worse than that really. There is a definite feeling amongst the population and press in the UK that anybody who takes photographs of children is a pedophile . . . or if they aren't, then the people looking at the pictures definitely will be.

Personally I think it's more akin to paranoia than political correctness.
Sad - really sad.

S

Shelby Lewis

Hi there
It's worse than that really. There is a definite feeling amongst the population and press in the UK that anybody who takes photographs of children is a pedophile . . . or if they aren't, then the people looking at the pictures definitely will be.

Personally I think it's more akin to paranoia than political correctness.
Sad - really sad.
It's not quite so bad here, but since the last administration's total fear-mongering (IMO), there is a definite move away from public, documentary photography in the US. It's so litigious these days that we're all scared.

Sad here too... but at least we can take pics of the kids (for now) :(

Hopefully in these slow economic times, people will move away from "buying happiness" and taking more interest in "being in the moment" such that simple candid photography will become more valuable again.

Let's hope.

:(

robmac

Yup, nothing like a paranoia (e.g. US media type lamenting she forgot to ask US admin spokesman if the sine flu outbreak might be bio-terror *.... Didn't know whether to laugh or cry) and lawyers who can work for a cut (e.g. vast majority of settlement) around every corner.

Great combo. Like sampling cigars in a meth lab.

* Paranoia aside, any terrorist using swine flu as a weapon (obviously a nepotism 'hire') would be taken out and shot by his buddies for terminal stupidity and lack of creativity.

S

Shelby Lewis

Senior from this evening... any visible grain added in post:

(sun at back... silver reflector just out of frame to the right acting as light source)

big softbox

bare strobe... sun above as rim (yucky downsize!)

cheers,
Shelby

fotografz

It's not quite so bad here, but since the last administration's total fear-mongering (IMO), there is a definite move away from public, documentary photography in the US. It's so litigious these days that we're all scared.

Sad here too... but at least we can take pics of the kids (for now) :(

Hopefully in these slow economic times, people will move away from "buying happiness" and taking more interest in "being in the moment" such that simple candid photography will become more valuable again.

Let's hope.

:(
Interesting sidebar subject.

I'm not quite understanding what you guys mean. What does "simple candid photography will become more valuable again" mean?

- Marc