The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SteadyShot works either with half press of shutter OR in any magnification mode.

k-hawinkler

I found this quote from Brian Smith, from December 26, 2014:"SteadyShot works either with half press of shutter OR in any magnification mode."

Sony A7II SteadyShot: Switching from OSS to Manual Lenses

So this apparently also implies that any non-native lens can benefit from Sony's version of IBIS, that they call OSS, not to be confused with their traditional lens OSS.
That was great news for me, so I tried it out with several of my adapted Leica lenses and the Mitakon ZHONGYI SPEEDMASTER 50/0.95 which has an E-Mount.

Indeed, that seems to be the case!

I focused a 50, 90, and 200 mm lens in magnification with the A7RII's OSS either set to ON or OFF.
Of course the fitting focal lengths have to be selected when changing them.
Then I exposed images at 1/15 s handheld.

The difference when focusing in magnification with OSS ON and OFF are quite striking to see in the EVF. As are the resulting images.

For me that means more precise focusing and shooting at lower shutter speeds when handheld.
As a result, my Mitakon lens will see more use handheld at f/0.95 on the A7RII than it did on the A7R.

As a side note, I have now paired my A7R with the Sony FE 2.8/90 MACRO G OSS lens, in this case the lens providing image stabilization. :grin:

Quentin_Bargate

I found this quote from Brian Smith, from December 26, 2014:"SteadyShot works either with half press of shutter OR in any magnification mode."

So this apparently also implies that any non-native lens can benefit from Sony's version of IBIS, that they call OSS, not to be confused with their traditional lens OSS.
That was great news for me, so I tried it out with several of my adapted Leica lenses and the Mitakon ZHONGYI SPEEDMASTER 50/0.95 which has an E-Mount.

I focused a 50, 90, and 200 mm lens in magnification with the A7RII's OSS either set to ON or OFF.

The difference when focusing in magnification with OSS ON and OFF are quite striking to see in the EVF. As are the resulting images.

For me that means more precise focusing and shooting at lower shutter speeds when handheld.
As a result, my Mitakon lens will see more use handheld at f/0.95 on the A7RII than it did on the A7R.

As a side note, I have now paired my A7R with the Sony FE 2.8/90 MACRO G OSS lens, in this case the lens providing image stabilization. :grin:
IBIS - in body image stabilisation - will ineeded work with any lens because its based in-body. Its also possible manually to adjust its setting for lenses not providing focal length information to the camera.

OSS is based in the lens and its supposed to work together with IBIS on an A7RII to give you stabislation on steroids!. I have found this combo works very well if you turn image stabilization ON on the lens with 90mm Macro G OSS

k-hawinkler

Thanks. The problem is that Sony calls their IBIS also OSS, AFAIK. :banghead:

BTW, I was pursuing the question how to ensure that OSS/IBIS is supporting a non-native lens being manually focused in magnification.

Short answer, it automatically does provided OSS in the A7RII is set to ON and the correct focal length entered.

V

Vivek

Samples? :)

K-H, you seem to be the only one who is holding onto the 50/0.95 Mitakon lens and have the A7rII!

jlm

Workshop Member
possibly clearing the opacity a bit, what i found with the 90mm macro re. settings:

SS on on lens; in camera, SS on/off is disabled in menu; SS settings can be auto or manual, and if manual, you can select the focal length;
SS off on lens; in camera SS on/off disabled; SS settings disabled

implies, if tripod shooting, you turn off SS on the lens, not the camera

Knorp

It is the in-lens OSS combined with the in-body OSS that provides 5-axis stabilisation, right ?

k-hawinkler

Pp
It is the in-lens OSS combined with the in-body OSS that provides 5-axis stabilisation, right ?
Correct Bart for lenses that have OSS.

However for native non-OSS FE or E lenses from Sony the A7RII does the entire 5-axis IBIS also called OSS.

5-axis means 5 measurements get taken into account, namely pitch, yaw, roll, X, and Y changesj. For pitch, yaw, and roll the focal length is required. For X and Y also in addition the focus distance.

These 5 inputs then result in 3 outputs, namely X and Y sensor movements, as well as a sensor rotation within the X-Y plane. The sensor doesn't tilt or move in the line of sight direction.

For OSS lenses, the lens does pitch and yaw stabilization, the camera body the rest. One final point on X and Y stabilization corrections. They are most important for close focus shots. For infinity focus shots they don't play a role as their corrections will go to zero.

For lenses that don't communicate the focus distance to the A7RII one can only get pitch, yaw, and roll corrections, so in a way a reduced 3-axis image stabilization.

The Olympus IBIS system is less complicated as you switch on one or the other, but not both on at the same time.

I don't have a Zeiss lens so I don't know, but would be surprised if they didn't provide focus distance information.

One way to tell my Sony lenses apart my Mitakon lens is their behavior under DMF. When the shutter button is halfway pressed and you turn the focus ring on a Sony or Sigma E lens, magnification is automatically switched on. To increase magnification I have to press the Center Button once while keeping the shutter button halfway pressed.

For my adapted Leica or Nikkor lenses and the Mitakon that doesn't happen. For those I have to press a button to switch on magnification first. Then when pressing the shutter button halfway down, magnification is switched off.

The 90 mm Sony lens has OSS builtin. One can also push the focus ring forward or pull it back towards the camera. In the latter case one can only focus manually.

Please, do your own investigation and let me know what I got wrong. :-(
I better check all these things again. :)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Samples? :)

K-H, you seem to be the only one who is holding onto the 50/0.95 Mitakon lens and have the A7rII!
Thanks Vivek, will do. I had not kept track of who kept that lens and got an A7RII. Oh well, maybe I am one of the few who only buys photo gear but never sells any. That's a sure way though to end up with too many lenses to count.

V

Vivek

Thanks Vivek, will do. I had not kept track of who kept that lens and got an A7RII. Oh well, maybe I am one of the few who only buys photo gear but never sells any. That's a sure way though to end up with too many lenses to count.
Thanks. :)

That makes two of us. :eek:

(I do break lenses though. All my E mount lenses were pretty much destroyed and I had to buy some of them back to use on the NEX-5NM)

tn1krr

I don't have a Zeiss lens so I don't know, but would be surprised if they didn't provide focus distance information.
Zeiss ZE, ZF/ZF.2 & Loxia do not provide distance info. Batis does, so with IBIS the Batii are 5-Axis, the others are 3-Axis. That said, my 3-Axis APO ZE 135/2 is just stellar on my A7R II, stabilized EVF + dat long throw manual focus ring == schweet.

k-hawinkler

Zeiss ZE, ZF/ZF.2 & Loxia do not provide distance info. Batis does, so with IBIS the Batii are 5-Axis, the others are 3-Axis. That said, my 3-Axis APO ZE 135/2 is just stellar on my A7R II, stabilized EVF + dat long throw manual focus ring == schweet.

Congratulations on your APO ZE 135/2.

Also, many thanks for the info. Great for Batis lenses. Not so hot for Loxia, but understandable. Zeiss must not keep track of focus distance information for their manual focus only lenses then.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Thanks. The problem is that Sony calls their IBIS also OSS.
I believe they refer to both as Steady Shot but I can't find them referring to the in camera portion as OSS. But in the manual they do use the term OSS when referring to lenses instead of steady shot which is the term used for the in camera ibis.

k-hawinkler

I believe they refer to both as Steady Shot but I can't find them referring to the in camera portion as OSS. But in the manual they do use the term OSS when referring to lenses instead of steady shot which is the term used for the in camera ibis.
Thanks for the correction. That makes sense. I will have to go through their manuals and make sure I got it right. :banghead:

My understanding is that OSS stands for Optical Steady Shot.
So I mistakenly assumed the two terms "OSS" and Optical Steady Shot" were interchabeable. But, I get your point.

So, please let me know if you agree that the following is correct:

OSS stands for Optical Steady Shot and indicates that image stabilization is built into a lens.

However

SteadyShot (sic) (without Optical) indicates In-body image stabilization, so IBIS, which is actually Olympus' designation for that functionality.

If I follow that train of thought then

"Optical SteadyShot" should stand for the combined system funtionalty of an OSS lens on a SteadyShot camera body, no?

Last edited:

Annna T

Count me in this category too.. So we are at least three.