The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ideal camera bag for the A7RII kit

Pradeep

I know, these critters are multiplying like rabbits in my basement, but I just cannot get the right bag. Either it's too small and will only take one lens or it's too big and cumbersome.

I am looking for a good, sturdy, durable bag for the A7RII which can accommodate the body (with camera plate, sans vertical part) and the Batis 25 and 85 (or similar lenses), one of which would be mounted on the camera. If it can take an additional smallish lens like the 35 f2.8 or the 55 1.8 it would be great.

I would typically be using the camera on a Black Rapid strap but when I put it away, it would go into the bag without the strap. I don't need additional space for water bottles/tripod/etc.

The 'bagfinder' app on Lowepro's site results in too many choices with all bags being too large and unwieldy. I need something that is as small as possible.

I would prefer the bag not to be a backpack type since it is a pain to constantly remove it for changing lenses especially with a BR strap on. Prefer a shoulder type.

Anybody tried the Billingham series? I swear their photo vest is one of the best darned things I've ever bought, cannot imagine how I managed without one before.

I did a search and found one thread from a year ago, about a LowePro sling that I do not like after seeing one with a relative.

Thanks

Eoin

I use a Billingham Hadley Pro (mid sized hadley with a handle on the top) left over from my Leica M8 days. Fits a number of lenses and the A7II body very well. I would get a few extra velcro sections just to make it slightly more customisable for your exact lens layout/orientation.

Lovely bag, well made, will last a lifetime and doesn't scream camera bag.

Viramati

I too use the Billingham Hadley pro a truly fantastic and durable bag. 10 years old and going strong. You can also add end pockets if you need more space

Attachments

I too use the Billingham Hadley pro a truly fantastic and durable bag. 10 years old and going strong. You can also add end pockets if you need more space
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who removed the Billingham insignia from the front of the bag.

spence

Check out the Think Tank Retrospective 5. A bit heavy, and I'm not sure it's large enough for the lenses you mention, but I like mine. Maybe the 7, if 5 is too small.

Picked up a nice condition 5, in pinestone, missing the rain cover, for $53 delivered on ebay. $144 new, so, good deals are out there, if that matters.

spence

Besides the Hadley Pro and ThinkTanks mentioned by others, you might also consider the Billingham Hadley Small. It's quite a bit smaller than the Pro, but I love it for my small walk-around kit (the A7Rii w/QR plate, 90mm macro, 25mm Batis and 50mm Loxia.)

Billingham bag-006.jpg

Billingham bag-005.jpg

Pradeep

Thanks, this place is amazing. The pictures (as always) are worth a thousand words!

I think the Billingham Hadley small seems perfect. Not planning to take all the lenses with me, just 2 or maybe 3 at most. If the vest is anything to go by, these should last forever.

Jim DE

Guess I am old... I use the Sony smaller backpack like the one I used with my NEX system....... It carry's my filters, the a7rII body with a 16-35 attached, and 45 and 90mm CG lenses with extension tubes and room for a 70-200 f4 later. On the outside I carry a MeFoto tripod as well as extra batteries and accessories. But then again my a7rII is my hike in scenic system and I need my hands free and unencumbered without anything in my way while climbing(or falling ;) )

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Have a look at the Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW. I've just started using the larger 450 AW for my Nikon kit, but bought the 350 as well for when I want to go lightweight, without the long lenses. I believe that model must be very suitable for an A7 kit as well, particularly for those who carry two bodies and 4-5 lenses. It also rooms a 13" laptop or a tablet computer.

What I particularly like is the triple access to cameras with fitted lens plus the fact that main access is on the reverse side.

http://store.lowepro.com/protactic-350-aw

Viramati

As well as the Hadley Pro I also have the Hadley small and swap between the two. The Hadley small is great as it was the only bag of it's size that I found that would also fit an iPad air in the back slot. As a small kit it can carry the Leica Q, A7RII and WATE, iPad and extra batteries. I tend to use it as my everyday 'man bag' when I usually only carry one camera (95% of the time the Q), iPad, wallet, phone, glasses etc.
The Bilingham bags seem to be like Dr Who's Tardis as I always amazed what you can fit in them. I also like the way they have implemented the straps for closing the flap which can just be clicked on. I would also recommend the shoulder pad if you but the bag as it makes it a lot more comfortable and less likely to slip off your shoulder.

Pradeep

Like I said, I have too many bags already, from Thinktank, Gura Gear, Kinesis, Lowepro and F-stop, all bought over the years mainly as carry-on vehicles on the plane. I also have a few small ones for P&S types or when I am walking about with just one small lens on my Nex7 or A7r.

None of these is able to carry just the new A7R2 with 2-3 lenses and nothing else. My needs are for something as small as possible, without loops for tripod or space for flash/water bottles, filters etc. Do not want a backpack since this will be mainly a general purpose urban/walkabout/travel rig and I need to be able to take things out without putting the bag on the ground. It should also not get in the way of my Black Rapid strap from which the camera will be hanging when not in the bag.

From all I can see here and my own reading, it seems that the Hadley small fits the bill very well, the Pro will probably be too big, but maybe suitable for when I need to take the whole family (all the lenses) on an outing.

Taking the plunge today, will get the bag and the SP-40 strap as recommended on Amazon.

Final question, any recommendations on color? Since everything else I have is black, I am leaning towards the Khaki color. Any thoughts? Would it get too dirty too soon? I like the Khaki because it is so different and hey, when you spend the money, might as well have something that looks elegant too!

Viramati

I like the khaki ones specifically because they do get dirty and roughed up and thus stick out a little less. The black ones probably will show the dirt less over time