The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ideal camera bag for the A7RII kit

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My new secret weapon here and I really like it .

Think tank urban approach 10

I can fit my VC 15 on bottom in one slot and my Batis 25 or85 on top of it with a spacer on one side so a double stack. On the other side my 35 1.4 than camera with either the Batis 25,85 or 35 on camera lens down in middle. Batteries side pocket . Cards, passport checker, remote cord in front pocket.

So basically body and 4 lenses. Now I just got the Minolta 200 2.8 with adpter it fits in one of those pockets but I am short on of my lenses. I have the Ona Brixton that can fit my whole kit. But I still need a backpack now if I need my strobes.

My one problem with the Brixton is the pads are too thick so right now it's tight. So I thought of selling it but I'm going to try and get thinner pads and keep it.

But for a small kit the Urban Approch is very nice. I'm heading to camera store this morning to look around. Including looking at the 90 macro although I'm keeping my 85 I just want to hold the macro.

Urban Approach 10 Mirrorless Camera Shoulder Bag

Last edited:

Amin

Dumb question - when stacking small lenses in a bag, how do you keep them from rubbing one another?

Guy Mancuso

I use a small insert pad. On one side I leave the Velcro so I can attach it than I can just lift up put lens in and cover it with pad. The Vc15 or 35 2.5 and even the 55 lenses are small so it works pretty good

Guy Mancuso

Remembering our Leica m days we would sand down rear lens caps and glue them and have a double stack rear lens cap. Bet we could do the same with Sony rear caps as well. I think we used contact cement

Dumb question - when stacking small lenses in a bag, how do you keep them from rubbing one another?
Very good question, actually! The bag comes with a little divider, with velcro only on one end, which you can use to split the vertical compartment. But I usually just stack the lenses rear-cap-to-rear-cap; they fit so snuggly into the space, that there's no risk of them hurting each other.

Here's Amazon's image of the insert and dividers -

pads.jpg

JMaher

I don't use a shoulder pad on smaller bags such as the Hadley Small. On larger bags they tend to come with them.

Jim

JMaher

One more option if you like Billingham.

http://www.amazon.com/Billingham-St...id=1440776208&sr=8-3&keywords=billingham+pola

Very small bag. Will hold one lens on the bottom with an insert from another bag placed on top and then insert camera body with one lens on top. I just tried this with a A7rII with 55 2.8 and a Minolta 135 2.8 place on the bottom of the bag. I don't have a Batis to check with both the above combination fits very well. Minimalist and don't expect to fit any thing else but small and elegant.

Jim

mark1958

I use the think tank turnstyle 10. I carry the a7r or II and can fit a few lenses a small flash and extra batteries. Right now i have the camera, flash, Leica Wate, Leica 135mm, Sony 24-70, Sony 35mm, 55 1.8

ggibson

I am looking for a good, sturdy, durable bag for the A7RII which can accommodate the body (with camera plate, sans vertical part) and the Batis 25 and 85 (or similar lenses), one of which would be mounted on the camera. If it can take an additional smallish lens like the 35 f2.8 or the 55 1.8 it would be great.
A lot of people in this thread mentioned somewhat larger bags, but I think you might be able to fit the kit you describe in an Ona the Bowery bag, which I have. It is nice and compact, and I can comfortably fit my A7 along with two of my three lenses, either the 16-35mm, 55mm, or 24-240mm. You'd definitely be able to carry the A7rII + Batis 25 and 85. Adding the FE 35 or 55 might be possible too, although you'd want an extra divider. Here's a shot of my bag with the Sony 55 and 16-35:

uhoh7

Here are my two:

raven and ryker by unoh7, on Flickr

Wotancraft; big one is Ryker, little is Raven.

Ryker can hold much than appears:

DSC02872 by unoh7, on Flickr

Untitled by unoh7, on Flickr

I've had A7 with Nikon 180/2.8 and M9 with 75 Lux plus 2 more lenses stuffed in there. Even full iPad will slip in special pouch. Lined with microfibre. Heavy protection. Limited production, they run 379ish and are very easy to sell if you don't like it in the end. Quality of a thousand dollar bag.

V

Vivek

Keep the images coming! I do not buy anything like these at all but it is a visual feast for me.

Beautiful! :)

If you want something functional and don't mind that it actually looks like a camera bag, there's the Ape Case Metro 700.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...O700W_ACPRO700W_Metro_Collection_Compact.html

It's my grab-and-go bag stuffed with M lenses (28, 35, 50, 90, 135) and enough room for batteries, filters, and cards. You can easily fit a three lens Sony/Zeiss kit in there, so long as one of them isn't the 70-200/4.

A7IIandMetro700_1 by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

A7IIandMetro700_3 by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

It's also got a nice long strap for big guys like me. Not sexy, I know, but for $35, it's hard not to love it.

Hausen

Is my birthday next week and I am very tempted by the Ona Union Street. A big bag for sure but perfect for my A7rII + 3 Canon TSEs, Lee filter kits and adaptors.

ypamine

I got the Billingham Hadley Pro, Hadley Small and Digital Hadley.

The one I use most by far is the Digital Hadley. It is perfect for the A7x with two lenses (from small Leica rangefinder lenses to more substantial Leica R lenses), one being mounted on the body.

If there's something simpler than this, or more rugged, or less inviting to steal – please let me know?

Whole landscape kit = A7RII w/ L-bracket + MATE + WATE + 25 Distagon + adapters & Gordy strap in a ThinkTank Retro 40 bag.

There's a little DigiSix meter under one of the lenses, to measure incident light for backlit subjects.

Lower picture: The grip fits over the shorter lens and rests on the lens cap. The bag comes with a short Velcro divider that could fit as a flap between shorter lens & grip, but it doesn't seem necessary.

Occasionally I carry a Zeiss f3.4 Vario-Sonnar 35-70 – in which case one of the Leica lenses goes in a photo-vest pocket.

(Over the other shoulder: carbon fiber Gitzo Traveler w/ light Sirui ball head in Giottos tripod bag.)

I doubt this is fashionable, but it's certainly functional. The OP's Sony lenses would be more economical and would fit in the bag just as well, with his 25 Batis being smaller than my Distagon. But I had the Leica lenses for my Monochrom, and I like the less 'clinical' look of middle-aged lenses.

Kirk

View attachment 94795View attachment 94796

PS, I just checked the B&H site to recall the name of the bag, and they're on sale for $100 discount. Probably a new model coming out?

But Brad's Ape Case looks like the ultimate bargain.

Last edited: