The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ideal camera bag for the A7RII kit

Pradeep

Jim, I too bought the Hadley Small and not the Pro because the idea was to get the smallest possible bag for the kit. I have too many larger bags already.

I don't have a vertical grip on my A7RII, but I do have the L-plate on it. I can fit the camera with the 55 1.8 on it and put the Batis 85, Batis 25 and the 16-35 f4 in the pockets. The camera does stand out of the top, but the top flap on the bag curves over it and fits into the clasps quite easily. That also leaves the front pockets for batteries and cards.

Overall it is a bit tight fit but serves my purpose very well, allowing me to carry pretty much everything I need to with me.

In addition, I always have my Billingham photo vest on - obviously not if I am going to a social event - and that is one incredible item. I highly recommend it. You can carry an unbelievable amount of things in it and it still looks quite cool.

seb

As I go everywhere by bike and do a lot of hikes or runs, a backpack with a good wearingsystem is a must.
For my daily use, I have the lowepro photo sport bp 300 aw ii. Really small, light weighted, waterproof and enough place to put other stuff in. The camera pocket which is accessible from the side holds a A7RII with 90/2.8, 55/1.8, 16-35/4 and 28/2. Or any other combo with the same size. In the cover of this pocket you have two holders in the same size of the A7-series batteries. If you have more stuff, you can put it in the top pocket (or the milk you had to buy). And there are also a lot of additional small pockets over the whole packpack.
Edit: For transporting a mobile studio with tripods, flashes, umbrellas and soft box, I'll take a mindshift rotation180° Professional 38L.
And without a bag it's the peak design slide or peak design cuff (always on the camera).

Last edited:

mark1958

Domke Directors Shoulder Bag

I picked the new Domke Directors Bag yesterday and while not as elegant as some of the others (e.g. WotanCraft)-- it really can hold a lot of stuff yet still fit inside of my carry on luggage. If i do not want to take full gear the side pockets zipper down so don't take up much room.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...v_direc_csb_director_cordura_stone_black.html

I include a link so i do not have to take a lot of photos but in the main bag-- I had my A7rII with voigt 180mm attached hood open, leica WATE, Sony 90mm macro, Zeiss 25mm Batis. In one of the side pockets i had my sony 24-70 and Sony 55mm 1.8. The other side pocket was empty and can easily fit more lenses or a flash. The front pocket can carry batteries and charger.

Here are what I find to be the pluses and minuses in addition to what it can carry--- at least so far.
1) Not sealed so for really tough weather not best choice. Can always add a rain jacket
2) I am not the biggest fan of the Domke shoulder strap attachments-- plastic. Their straps are not most comfortable but they do sell separate shoulder protector that connects to the strap.
3) side pockets are not well padded but can always wrap the side pocket lens with the associated soft lens case.
4) Zippered front pocket -- can put in small iPad or keep extra SD cards or other small items in sealed zipper
5) Back pocket to hold papers or magazines
6) Straps so you can place over luggage arms

Attachments

jfirneno

A completely utilitarian option

So I wanted a bag that could be either a sling or a backpack. It had to have a side opening to allow switching lenses without putting the bag down. I wanted something that would hold a pretty good selection of lenses from 12mm to 200mm. This is what I've found:

Case Logic DSS-103 Luminosity Large Sling Backpack (Black)
19.69 x 9.45 x 11.42 inches ; 3.09 lbs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDYRZ0S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Inside the side opening I added a partition:

Ciesta Flexible Camera Insert Partition for DSLR SLR Lens (Brown / Large)
7.2 x 9.2 x 13.3 inches
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0OF9K0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

What I keep in the bag:

Sony A7S
Minolta (A-mount) 200mm F4 Macro Lens
Sony (A-mount) 135mm F1.8
Sigma (A-mount) 12-24mm F4.5 – 5.6
Sony LAEA3 A-mount to E-mount converter
Sony LAEA4 A-mount to E-mount converter
Sony FE 35mm F1.4
Sony FE 55mm F1.8
4 spare batteries, spare memory cards
Camera L plate, lens foot plate, hex wrenches, etc.
polarizing filter
remote control

This bag has room for a lap-top and a bunch of other pockets and spaces. Very sturdy (but no style at all).

mathomas

OK, I'll weigh in with a couple of suggestions that I believe are unique to the thread:

Billingham F-Stop f/1.4
For me, much better for my needs than the Hadley series. I find the Hadleys too "slim", and they run out of room quickly, IMO. The F-stops are just a bit more "square", and much better suited for my gear and taste. I did an extensive video on the bag:
https://youtu.be/bcCqCSqXOMQ
I don't use my Hadley Pro any more, though I find it a more beautiful bag than the F-Stop. I guess I need to list the Hadley here!

Domke F-10
This is a minimalist, and somewhat oddly-shaped bag that can hold a surprising amount. I've done multiple videos on the bag, but here's one covering Sony gear:
https://youtu.be/_MfZ9gLFGdE

If you like bag reviews, I've done tons of them. Here is the playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL383DC234D4BF6902

And if you're still reading this, I'm currently running a giveaway contest (ends 12/13/2015) of the Mindshift Horizon Backpack. Here's the giveaway kickoff video:
https://youtu.be/3ly8sJSaJ9c

Somewhere along the line someone asked how others separate lenses when stacked. My low-tech, and basically free, approach is bubble wrap. You can cut it to shape and it weighs nothing. Someone else I was talking to recommended yoga mat, cut to shape.

Jose Viegas

I was going thru this all thread and it's interesting that nobody mentioned the Tenba Switch 10 Camera Bag. I, as most, have a lot of bags including Billingham Small and a Wotancraft Ryker but this Tenba has been my main bag for the last months. I cant put the A7RII with a lens plus the 70-200 f4, the 16-35 f4 and the 55 f1.8, or both Batis instead. Worth taking a look at it.

*not my photo.

Pradeep

I was going thru this all thread and it's interesting that nobody mentioned the Tenba Switch 10 Camera Bag. I, as most, have a lot of bags including Billingham Small and a Wotancraft Ryker but this Tenba has been my main bag for the last months. I cant put the A7RII with a lens plus the 70-200 f4, the 16-35 f4 and the 55 f1.8, or both Batis instead. Worth taking a look at it.

*not my photo.
Thanks Jose.

I don't have a 70-200 and the only lenses I take with my A7R2 are the 2 Batis, the 16-35 and the 55 1.8

I can put them all in the Hadley Small, along with some spare batteries etc in the front pockets. It is a tight fit, but it works. The whole package is very light.

It would probably be easier to have a bag that is a bit roomier and thus easier to put the lenses in. However, my main concern was the overall size and weight. We all have too many bags of course.

Would it be possible for you to post images of the two bags (the Hadley and the Tenba) side by side and their relative weights with the above lenses. I know it is a but much to ask, but I would really appreciate it.

The one disadvantage of the Hadley of course it the lack of significant protection and padding. But then that would add to the size and weight - which is always the compromise we have to make.

sbay

I've been redoing my bags since switching to sony. My most recent acquisition is an F-stop shibata:

IMG_20160119_083127~2.jpgIMG_20160119_082940.jpg

Things I like about it are that (1) it looks like a cheap bag, (2) it is a cheap bag at $40, (3) it's super lightweight (1.2lbs). I looked at a lot of different bags and I think this is by far the lowest weight in it's class. Think tank is the worst in this area -- super tough bags but they are way too heavy for me (I'm trying to get rid of my urban disguise 35).

It comfortably fits camera + mounted lens plus one additional lens. I can fit camera with 3 lenses (e.g. a7r2, 16-35fe, canon 70-300L, plus one more medium sized DSLR lens) but it's tight or I need to stack camera above lens.

If I need more space, I have a timbuk2 messenger bag with insert (just over 3 lbs) which fits more than I want to carry (cam + multiple DSLR sized lens + mind shift filter hive)

For backpacks I have an F-stop Loka UL with medium insert (37L, 3lbs). I almost got one of the lowepro photo sport models but the f-stop had more space but was just as light.

Jose Viegas

Thanks Jose.

I don't have a 70-200 and the only lenses I take with my A7R2 are the 2 Batis, the 16-35 and the 55 1.8

I can put them all in the Hadley Small, along with some spare batteries etc in the front pockets. It is a tight fit, but it works. The whole package is very light.

It would probably be easier to have a bag that is a bit roomier and thus easier to put the lenses in. However, my main concern was the overall size and weight. We all have too many bags of course.

Would it be possible for you to post images of the two bags (the Hadley and the Tenba) side by side and their relative weights with the above lenses. I know it is a but much to ask, but I would really appreciate it.

The one disadvantage of the Hadley of course it the lack of significant protection and padding. But then that would add to the size and weight - which is always the compromise we have to make.
Sure, I'll do it as soon as I have some free time.

To me, the Peak Design Everyday Messenger Bag is the best designed messenger bag out there. I have not seen any innovative features on any of the bag mentioned here (yes, I have considered many of them here). After a month of heavy use, here is a list of what I like about the EDM:

- The quick top access in a messenger bag
- Flexible origami divider
- Integrated Tripod holder
- Peak Design quick adjustable strap and pivoting attachment
- Waxed Canvas
- The magnetic clasp: mainly for its on-the-fly size adjustability
- Hip belt for a long day shoot with 3 lenses, A7S and A7RII bodies, and a flash
- Small inner pouch for quick access to phone or passport/boarding passes
- Laptop compartment + separate tablet compartment (more for document - contracts, portfolio, etc.)
- Not too flashy at all despite what many naysayers believe. I have not received any compliment on the bag while out on the field.

davidstock

I just discovered this entertaining thread. Like others here, I've tried many many camera bags over the years. Unlike others here, I never completely bonded with the Billinghams, although I've owned two of them. (Actually, I used a small zippered Billingham until the bottom corners frayed out.) I'm not a fan of the button/buckle double closure system that's on most of the Billingham bags. I find the closures awkward. They flop around when they're open, and the leather cracks too soon, IMO. Some of the Billinghams seem too unstructured for me, too. Especially if they aren't full of gear.

I don't like bags that look really expensive, bags without a top carry handle, or bags that need a sliding shoulder pad. I also get annoyed by excessive velcro and shiny/slippery fabrics. Not too picky, am I?

What I keep coming back to is the Domke F-803. Basic bag. Light, inconspicuous, tough, nice canvas fabric feel, ages well. Carry handle on top, easy-to-open flap, single secure closure, reasonable price. This bag has a little structure because of the top stiffener and the insert. But it still molds to my body. I can carry an A7RII with Gariz grip and three or four small or moderate sized lenses in the main compartment, and throw everything else I need into the front or top pockets. The 803 is small enough that I can also just carry the body with one lens if I want, without it seeming like overkill.

The 803 isn't big enough for all my lenses at once, but it's fine for the two Batis lenses plus the 55. Plus the 35/2.8, if I want. There's even a wide back pocket for a Kindle or a magazine. The strap is unfussy wide canvas. I currently put A7RII stuff in a black 803, and keep my APSC stuff in a dark blue one. (Not sure they even make that color any more.)

Sometimes I want a larger bag to carry more stuff, or larger stuff. The small Domkes aren't great for the 70-200 f4 plus other lenses, for instance. And I'm not as crazy about the big Domkes as I am about the small ones. (Yes, I do own one of those, too. Sigh.) So in that situation, I use a Tenba messenger bag, which I leave nested snugly inside a small roller bag for ease of transport (and to rest my aching back).

--d

Jose Viegas

To me, the Peak Design Everyday Messenger Bag is the best designed messenger bag out there. I have not seen any innovative features on any of the bag mentioned here (yes, I have considered many of them here). After a month of heavy use, here is a list of what I like about the EDM:

- The quick top access in a messenger bag
- Flexible origami divider
- Integrated Tripod holder
- Peak Design quick adjustable strap and pivoting attachment
- Waxed Canvas
- The magnetic clasp: mainly for its on-the-fly size adjustability
- Hip belt for a long day shoot with 3 lenses, A7S and A7RII bodies, and a flash
- Small inner pouch for quick access to phone or passport/boarding passes
- Laptop compartment + separate tablet compartment (more for document - contracts, portfolio, etc.)
- Not too flashy at all despite what many naysayers believe. I have not received any compliment on the bag while out on the field.
Funny how most of those features are already present on the older Tenba I've mentioned.

Funny how most of those features are already present on the older Tenba I've mentioned.
Jose,

I wouldn't say most features.

-I admit I didn't know the Tenba bag has a quick access zipper top (a huge plus for me).
-Same old inflexible divider. This EDM origami divider has 4 different configurations (for different height) which offer more arrangements.
-Belt loop, bottom tripod holder requires taking the bag off most of the time to access a tripod. EDM has a quick access, top flap tripod holder that would not interfere with the quick access top zipper, which of course depends on the size of the tripod (but I tested with a RRS Series 4/Gitzo Series 5 equivalent tripod and it does get a little harder to access the gear).
-Pivoting strap attachment has to be experienced to see how effective it is to keep the bag hugging your body at the right angle. Peak Design quick adjustable strap requires a second or two to adjust the length. Tenba doesn't have either.
-I think the Tenba needs a rain cover, while this EDM is rain proof.
-The EDM affords quick (again a second or two) size change with their propriety magnetic clasp (4 different configurations). Tenba has magnetic closure but slow size adjustment.
-This might not seem that unique, but I do use the inner quick access pouch (just below the quick access zipper top) quite often (none in the Tenba)
-Tenba has one Ipad/small laptop compartment without a smaller compartment for other document

I think most would think the EDM is just like another messenger bag until you actually think about it. It offers a set of features that are truly new (no bag has a specific feature) or truly offer more than what other bags would have.

Jose Viegas

Jose,

I wouldn't say most features.

-I admit I didn't know the Tenba bag has a quick access zipper top (a huge plus for me).
-Same old inflexible divider. This EDM origami divider has 4 different configurations (for different height) which offer more arrangements.
-Belt loop, bottom tripod holder requires taking the bag off most of the time to access a tripod. EDM has a quick access, top flap tripod holder that would not interfere with the quick access top zipper, which of course depends on the size of the tripod (but I tested with a RRS Series 4/Gitzo Series 5 equivalent tripod and it does get a little harder to access the gear).
-Pivoting strap attachment has to be experienced to see how effective it is to keep the bag hugging your body at the right angle. Peak Design quick adjustable strap requires a second or two to adjust the length. Tenba doesn't have either.
-I think the Tenba needs a rain cover, while this EDM is rain proof.
-The EDM affords quick (again a second or two) size change with their propriety magnetic clasp (4 different configurations). Tenba has magnetic closure but slow size adjustment.
-This might not seem that unique, but I do use the inner quick access pouch (just below the quick access zipper top) quite often (none in the Tenba)
-Tenba has one Ipad/small laptop compartment without a smaller compartment for other document

I think most would think the EDM is just like another messenger bag until you actually think about it. It offers a set of features that are truly new (no bag has a specific feature) or truly offer more than what other bags would have.
Personally for me it has two problems:

- Too big: 43cm wide vs 30cm on the Tenba and 30cm tall vs 22cm
- Too expensive: at 250USD vs 109USD (BH)

I've payed more for other bags like the Ryker, but it's full leather and full style :cool:

Personally for me it has two problems:

- Too big: 43cm wide vs 30cm on the Tenba and 30cm tall vs 22cm
- Too expensive: at 250USD vs 109USD (BH)

I've payed more for other bags like the Ryker, but it's full leather and full style :cool:
Fair points. Size would depend on the user's needs. Price and value are not the same thing. IMHO, I would gladly pay $250 to get the EDM, especially since it offers way more functionality than any messenger bag out there, regardless of price.

Frits

I am a "3 bag and a pouch" person for my A7II kit.

First, the pouch: For tourist-like very light weight walkabout I have a small belt pouch, in which I carry the camera with the 35mm 2.8 fitted. Tiny package, hardly notice it is there.
(did not think it worthy of a picture)

Then, for compact all-round walk about with the Zeiss 24-70mm f4 OSS attached, I use a Wotancraft Raven:

For a more serious day trip outing, I use the Wotancraft Ryker with the Zeiss 24-70 attached plus the Zeiss 16-35mm f4, the 35mm f2.8 and misc. accessories as needed in the bag:
(it has been mentioned before: those Wotancraft bags are to die for!!!)

Lastly, as a "throw it all in the car" solution, I use my old Domke F-2 workhorse bag from my Nikon days. The camera with the 24-70 attached, the 16-35mm, the 35mm (cannot see it, it is in the pouch under the 70-200 foot) plus a Zeiss 70-200mm f4 and a Zeiss 55mm f1.8 and a bunch of accessories: