Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ideal camera bag for the A7RII kit

Post Thanks / Like

Ideal camera bag for the A7RII kit

I know, these critters are multiplying like rabbits in my basement, but I just cannot get the right bag. Either it's too small and will only take one lens or it's too big and cumbersome.

I am looking for a good, sturdy, durable bag for the A7RII which can accommodate the body (with camera plate, sans vertical part) and the Batis 25 and 85 (or similar lenses), one of which would be mounted on the camera. If it can take an additional smallish lens like the 35 f2.8 or the 55 1.8 it would be great.

I would typically be using the camera on a Black Rapid strap but when I put it away, it would go into the bag without the strap. I don't need additional space for water bottles/tripod/etc.

The 'bagfinder' app on Lowepro's site results in too many choices with all bags being too large and unwieldy. I need something that is as small as possible.

I would prefer the bag not to be a backpack type since it is a pain to constantly remove it for changing lenses especially with a BR strap on. Prefer a shoulder type.

Anybody tried the Billingham series? I swear their photo vest is one of the best darned things I've ever bought, cannot imagine how I managed without one before.

I did a search and found one thread from a year ago, about a LowePro sling that I do not like after seeing one with a relative.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ideal camera bag for the A7RII kit

I use a Billingham Hadley Pro (mid sized hadley with a handle on the top) left over from my Leica M8 days. Fits a number of lenses and the A7II body very well. I would get a few extra velcro sections just to make it slightly more customisable for your exact lens layout/orientation.

Lovely bag, well made, will last a lifetime and doesn't scream camera bag.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I too use the Billingham Hadley pro a truly fantastic and durable bag. 10 years old and going strong. You can also add end pockets if you need more space
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Hadley Pro here. Such a great bag!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can't go wrong with Billingham or Filson products, try looking at ONA bags too....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    I too use the Billingham Hadley pro a truly fantastic and durable bag. 10 years old and going strong. You can also add end pockets if you need more space
    Nice to see that I'm not the only one who removed the Billingham insignia from the front of the bag.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Think Tank Retrospective 5. A bit heavy, and I'm not sure it's large enough for the lenses you mention, but I like mine. Maybe the 7, if 5 is too small.

Picked up a nice condition 5, in pinestone, missing the rain cover, for $53 delivered on ebay. $144 new, so, good deals are out there, if that matters.

spence

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for ThinkTanks Retrospective bags. I use a 5 for my A6000 kit and a 7 for my A72/A7Rii.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides the Hadley Pro and ThinkTanks mentioned by others, you might also consider the Billingham Hadley Small. It's quite a bit smaller than the Pro, but I love it for my small walk-around kit (the A7Rii w/QR plate, 90mm macro, 25mm Batis and 50mm Loxia.)

Name:  Billingham bag-006.jpg
Views: 5017
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  Billingham bag-005.jpg
Views: 5882
Size:  73.6 KB
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Hadley Small as well and for the kit you suggested it is a perfect size.

Jim

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a Ona Brixton I listed today. Extra pads too
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Since my Leicas have left home I use the http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/gcam1000.htm for the sony.. It holds the body with vertical grip, the 90mm Macro, and the 55, plus the 35mm Loxia, with room for two more smallish lenses.

It's light and non-showy. NFS..
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, this place is amazing. The pictures (as always) are worth a thousand words!

I think the Billingham Hadley small seems perfect. Not planning to take all the lenses with me, just 2 or maybe 3 at most. If the vest is anything to go by, these should last forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the ONA Brixton. I took it to SE Asia recently and was very happy with it.

Craig Slingsby
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have gotten quite fond of the black label series of camera bags. I use this satchel bag http://www.blacklabelbags.com/_produ...el_mark_ii.htm
    It is quite small and compact but holds comfortably a camera and a few lens. It has enough height to it that one can stack smallish lenses.

I have used it with the OM-D E-M1 and now with the A7Rm2.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I am old... I use the Sony smaller backpack like the one I used with my NEX system....... It carry's my filters, the a7rII body with a 16-35 attached, and 45 and 90mm CG lenses with extension tubes and room for a 70-200 f4 later. On the outside I carry a MeFoto tripod as well as extra batteries and accessories. But then again my a7rII is my hike in scenic system and I need my hands free and unencumbered without anything in my way while climbing(or falling )

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have a look at the Lowepro ProTactic 350 AW. I've just started using the larger 450 AW for my Nikon kit, but bought the 350 as well for when I want to go lightweight, without the long lenses. I believe that model must be very suitable for an A7 kit as well, particularly for those who carry two bodies and 4-5 lenses. It also rooms a 13" laptop or a tablet computer.

What I particularly like is the triple access to cameras with fitted lens plus the fact that main access is on the reverse side.

http://store.lowepro.com/protactic-350-aw
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As well as the Hadley Pro I also have the Hadley small and swap between the two. The Hadley small is great as it was the only bag of it's size that I found that would also fit an iPad air in the back slot. As a small kit it can carry the Leica Q, A7RII and WATE, iPad and extra batteries. I tend to use it as my everyday 'man bag' when I usually only carry one camera (95% of the time the Q), iPad, wallet, phone, glasses etc.
    The Bilingham bags seem to be like Dr Who's Tardis as I always amazed what you can fit in them. I also like the way they have implemented the straps for closing the flap which can just be clicked on. I would also recommend the shoulder pad if you but the bag as it makes it a lot more comfortable and less likely to slip off your shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, I have too many bags already, from Thinktank, Gura Gear, Kinesis, Lowepro and F-stop, all bought over the years mainly as carry-on vehicles on the plane. I also have a few small ones for P&S types or when I am walking about with just one small lens on my Nex7 or A7r.

None of these is able to carry just the new A7R2 with 2-3 lenses and nothing else. My needs are for something as small as possible, without loops for tripod or space for flash/water bottles, filters etc. Do not want a backpack since this will be mainly a general purpose urban/walkabout/travel rig and I need to be able to take things out without putting the bag on the ground. It should also not get in the way of my Black Rapid strap from which the camera will be hanging when not in the bag.

From all I can see here and my own reading, it seems that the Hadley small fits the bill very well, the Pro will probably be too big, but maybe suitable for when I need to take the whole family (all the lenses) on an outing.

Taking the plunge today, will get the bag and the SP-40 strap as recommended on Amazon.

Final question, any recommendations on color? Since everything else I have is black, I am leaning towards the Khaki color. Any thoughts? Would it get too dirty too soon? I like the Khaki because it is so different and hey, when you spend the money, might as well have something that looks elegant too!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the khaki ones specifically because they do get dirty and roughed up and thus stick out a little less. The black ones probably will show the dirt less over time

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My new secret weapon here and I really like it .

Think tank urban approach 10

I can fit my VC 15 on bottom in one slot and my Batis 25 or85 on top of it with a spacer on one side so a double stack. On the other side my 35 1.4 than camera with either the Batis 25,85 or 35 on camera lens down in middle. Batteries side pocket . Cards, passport checker, remote cord in front pocket.

So basically body and 4 lenses. Now I just got the Minolta 200 2.8 with adpter it fits in one of those pockets but I am short on of my lenses. I have the Ona Brixton that can fit my whole kit. But I still need a backpack now if I need my strobes.

My one problem with the Brixton is the pads are too thick so right now it's tight. So I thought of selling it but I'm going to try and get thinner pads and keep it.

But for a small kit the Urban Approch is very nice. I'm heading to camera store this morning to look around. Including looking at the 90 macro although I'm keeping my 85 I just want to hold the macro.

Urban Approach 10 Mirrorless Camera Shoulder Bag
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 28th August 2015 at 06:40.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    any recommendations on color?
    I chose the khaki color because I do a lot of walking in the sun and dark bags tend to 'bake' their contents. And it looks very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Dumb question - when stacking small lenses in a bag, how do you keep them from rubbing one another?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use a small insert pad. On one side I leave the Velcro so I can attach it than I can just lift up put lens in and cover it with pad. The Vc15 or 35 2.5 and even the 55 lenses are small so it works pretty good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Remembering our Leica m days we would sand down rear lens caps and glue them and have a double stack rear lens cap. Bet we could do the same with Sony rear caps as well. I think we used contact cement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Dumb question - when stacking small lenses in a bag, how do you keep them from rubbing one another?
    Very good question, actually! The bag comes with a little divider, with velcro only on one end, which you can use to split the vertical compartment. But I usually just stack the lenses rear-cap-to-rear-cap; they fit so snuggly into the space, that there's no risk of them hurting each other.

Here's Amazon's image of the insert and dividers -

Name:  pads.jpg
Views: 4453
Size:  23.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taking the plunge today, will get the bag and the SP-40 strap as recommended on Amazon.
    For Pradeep and you Billingham bag owners, how do you choose the best shoulder pad for the Pro or Small bag? Billingham seems to have more variety in their shoulder pads than in the bags themselves.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't use a shoulder pad on smaller bags such as the Hadley Small. On larger bags they tend to come with them.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more option if you like Billingham.

http://www.amazon.com/Billingham-Sto...illingham+pola

Very small bag. Will hold one lens on the bottom with an insert from another bag placed on top and then insert camera body with one lens on top. I just tried this with a A7rII with 55 2.8 and a Minolta 135 2.8 place on the bottom of the bag. I don't have a Batis to check with both the above combination fits very well. Minimalist and don't expect to fit any thing else but small and elegant.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I use this shoulder pad on both Hadley Small and Pro.
    http://www.billingham.co.uk/sp15.html
    I just have the one as it is so quick and easy to change from one bag to the other

Post Thanks / Like

I use the think tank turnstyle 10. I carry the a7r or II and can fit a few lenses a small flash and extra batteries. Right now i have the camera, flash, Leica Wate, Leica 135mm, Sony 24-70, Sony 35mm, 55 1.8

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for a good, sturdy, durable bag for the A7RII which can accommodate the body (with camera plate, sans vertical part) and the Batis 25 and 85 (or similar lenses), one of which would be mounted on the camera. If it can take an additional smallish lens like the 35 f2.8 or the 55 1.8 it would be great.
    A lot of people in this thread mentioned somewhat larger bags, but I think you might be able to fit the kit you describe in an Ona the Bowery bag, which I have. It is nice and compact, and I can comfortably fit my A7 along with two of my three lenses, either the 16-35mm, 55mm, or 24-240mm. You'd definitely be able to carry the A7rII + Batis 25 and 85. Adding the FE 35 or 55 might be possible too, although you'd want an extra divider. Here's a shot of my bag with the Sony 55 and 16-35:

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my two:

raven and ryker by unoh7, on Flickr

Wotancraft; big one is Ryker, little is Raven.

Ryker can hold much than appears:

DSC02872 by unoh7, on Flickr

Untitled by unoh7, on Flickr

I've had A7 with Nikon 180/2.8 and M9 with 75 Lux plus 2 more lenses stuffed in there. Even full iPad will slip in special pouch. Lined with microfibre. Heavy protection. Limited production, they run 379ish and are very easy to sell if you don't like it in the end. Quality of a thousand dollar bag.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keep the images coming! I do not buy anything like these at all but it is a visual feast for me.

Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    Here are my two:

<snip>

Wotancraft; big one is Ryker, little is Raven.

Ryker can hold much than appears:

<snip>

I've had A7 with Nikon 180/2.8 and M9 with 75 Lux plus 2 more lenses stuffed in there. Even full iPad will slip in special pouch. Lined with microfibre. Heavy protection. Limited production, they run 379ish and are very easy to sell if you don't like it in the end. Quality of a thousand dollar bag.
    Are those are made of Unobtainium? Can't find any source on the Web. They're beautiful bags.

I'm drooling over all the bag images.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Serious bag porn here. Damn those are really nice looking

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Are those are made of Unobtainium? Can't find any source on the Web. They're beautiful bags.

I'm drooling over all the bag images.

Joe
    I considered getting a wotancraft bag and this is the only place I could find to buy one on the web.

http://www.wotancraft.com/product.php?pid=130

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    I considered getting a wotancraft bag and this is the only place I could find to buy one on the web.

http://www.wotancraft.com/product.php?pid=130
    Thanks Craig. Beautiful bag. I'm a sucker for leather bags.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

If you want something functional and don't mind that it actually looks like a camera bag, there's the Ape Case Metro 700.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Compact.html

It's my grab-and-go bag stuffed with M lenses (28, 35, 50, 90, 135) and enough room for batteries, filters, and cards. You can easily fit a three lens Sony/Zeiss kit in there, so long as one of them isn't the 70-200/4.

A7IIandMetro700_1 by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

A7IIandMetro700_3 by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

It's also got a nice long strap for big guys like me. Not sexy, I know, but for $35, it's hard not to love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm a Billinham Hadley Pro user too.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Is my birthday next week and I am very tempted by the Ona Union Street. A big bag for sure but perfect for my A7rII + 3 Canon TSEs, Lee filter kits and adaptors.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got the Billingham Hadley Pro, Hadley Small and Digital Hadley.

The one I use most by far is the Digital Hadley. It is perfect for the A7x with two lenses (from small Leica rangefinder lenses to more substantial Leica R lenses), one being mounted on the body.

Post Thanks / Like

If there's something simpler than this, or more rugged, or less inviting to steal – please let me know?

Whole landscape kit = A7RII w/ L-bracket + MATE + WATE + 25 Distagon + adapters & Gordy strap in a ThinkTank Retro 40 bag.

There's a little DigiSix meter under one of the lenses, to measure incident light for backlit subjects.

Lower picture: The grip fits over the shorter lens and rests on the lens cap. The bag comes with a short Velcro divider that could fit as a flap between shorter lens & grip, but it doesn't seem necessary.

Occasionally I carry a Zeiss f3.4 Vario-Sonnar 35-70 – in which case one of the Leica lenses goes in a photo-vest pocket.

(Over the other shoulder: carbon fiber Gitzo Traveler w/ light Sirui ball head in Giottos tripod bag.)

I doubt this is fashionable, but it's certainly functional. The OP's Sony lenses would be more economical and would fit in the bag just as well, with his 25 Batis being smaller than my Distagon. But I had the Leica lenses for my Monochrom, and I like the less 'clinical' look of middle-aged lenses.

Kirk

Attachment 94795Attachment 94796

PS, I just checked the B&H site to recall the name of the bag, and they're on sale for $100 discount. Probably a new model coming out?

But Brad's Ape Case looks like the ultimate bargain.
    Last edited by thompsonkirk; 5th September 2015 at 08:32. Reason: PS

Post Thanks / Like

Last Fall, I did a time consuming search for a camera bag for a Sony A7R (or A7RII) kit that would meet four goals:

1. VERY light weight.
    2. As small as possible, yet provide quick and convenient access to the camera body with a mounted lens and two additional lenses. The FE 70-200mm zoom, the FE 55 f/1.8 and the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm FE zoom or another prime.
    3. The ability to store the A7R (or the A7RII) with the 70-200 zoom mounted on the body, or alternatively store the 70-200 zoom separately. This is important to me as I would not want to be forced into changing lenses in order to store the gear.
    4. Comfortable to use for walking around a city while traveling.

The bag that I finally found that met these goals for me is the Lowepro Transit Sling 250AW. It weighs only 1.7 pounds. There are surely more "elegant" bags around, but none provides the combination of extremely light weight with the desired functionality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be even more confusing here. I am going on a week long trip and I am bring a lot of stuff in a Billingham 445 but also taking a very lightweight Domke F3X as shooting bag. It should easily hole the camera with a lens attached as well as tow more lenses and the pockets will hold a flash, etc if I need it. All this in a light and easy to carry bag. Not as elegant pr protective as the Billingham the Domke has its own charm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a ONA Union Street and ONA Berlin I for when I want to go small and light. The ONA Berlin can accommodate the A7R and both Batis lenses with filters and accessories as well no problem. The Union Street provides room for one body plus 2-4 lenses(if one is attached to the body and the extras are small.) I'd recommend either.

I I also have a Gura Gear, Tenba, and Tamrac floating around somewhere that are larger (the Tenba isn't much larger physically but can hold a crap ton of stuff.)
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tried out the Ona Union Street over the weekend and a little small for my kit. Very tempted by the Wotancraft Ranger though. $US499 is the only thing giving me pause.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds to me that any bag that would suffice for a Leica M kit is worthy of consideration here too.

Post Thanks / Like

All these high end bags are appealing.
    My stable includes a large Domke bag I've had for years; a small Domke bag I've had almost as long; and two cheap shoulder bags I acquired from Amazon that I've put padded inserts into. I put the gear I want for the particular situation into the appropriate bag.

The small Domke is my go to bag for the A7RII when walking around. It holds the camera with a lens, a couple of extra lenses, batteries, cards in case, a small pouch with cable, tripod plate, lens cloth, etc.

The rest of the gear is in rolling cases. Bare bulb strobes and accessories in one, speedlites, lenses and accessories in another.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Filson Harvey shoulder bag. You shouldn't have a problem fitting everything you mention. Plus it looks great and hangs comfy. In general though I think currently Think Tank has the best line of no-bullsh*t indestructible gear. They don't always look that great but I have a couple of their bags and they are absolutely the best designed I've used.