The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Battery status disappearing

Rawfa

Guys, I don't know what's going on but now the battery status on my A7S only shows up for a couple of seconds and then it goes away. I have to click the "display" options for it to show up again...but it only shows up for a couple of seconds and then it disappears again (along with the M symbol - as in manual). Did this ever happen to anyone??

stephen.s1

Happens to me. No biggie, it's lit up just long enough to give me a clue as to battery status. I thought it was supposed to be that way... Perhaps it is.

Rawfa

I wouldn't think this is a logical thing to happen. This camera was tailored with video in mind and it's just not logical not to be able to see how much battery you have left. The weird thing is, this only started happening after I've used a Neweer battery grip on the A7S. I was shooting an interview and I could see the battery status, but then the first battery ended and I couldn't see the status anymore. I've tested with single batteries and then with the grip again, but it remains the same. Before that it was working fine. I REALLY need to be able to see how much battery I have left.

stephen.s1

Push the display button until you get the page where the bat status stays lit up. Perhaps that's what you're looking for. BTW, I do use the grip.

Rawfa

If I select the display mode where ALL the info is displayed, then the battery status stays there...but there's WAY too much information along with it.

Rawfa

That is REALLY strange, because I've been using the A7S for about a month for video and I could ALWAYS view the battery status non stop. Yesterday I pop in the battery grip and all of the sudden the information is not longer displayed? Suspicious to say the least.

V

Vivek

That is REALLY strange, because I've been using the A7S for about a month for video and I could ALWAYS view the battery status non stop. Yesterday I pop in the battery grip and all of the sudden the information is not longer displayed? Suspicious to say the least.
First: the battery status is always displayed (top right) in all display layouts in the EVF.

To see battery status on the LCD (Monitor):

Go to the cogwheel in the menu -> 2 -->DISP Button ---> Monitor ---> Choose Graphic Display and Display All Info these are the two modes that will display the battery icon on your LCD.

Viramati

What display setting are you using to get it to display non stop? In the LCD whatever I set I set it to, unless it is the info display screen, it disapears after a few seconds and this is with my A7s

Guys, I don't know what's going on but now the battery status on my A7S only shows up for a couple of seconds and then it goes away. I have to click the "display" options for it to show up again...but it only shows up for a couple of seconds and then it disappears again (along with the M symbol - as in manual). Did this ever happen to anyone??
In the past, when something like that happened to my equipment, it turned out to be an oily or dirty contact. If you get a proper contact cleaner and hit all of the contacts in the chain, this might fix your issue. I am told that one of those contacts is a sensing contact, rather than a power contact. This just might be the issue.

Please do not use alcohol to clean the contacts, it makes things worse in my experience.

Edit:
I just remembered the brand that I use: DeOxit. They have many different styles of cleaner, some for copper contacts, some for gold plated.