The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some incredible news for Contax G fans

A new version of the TechArt firmware for their mkIII Contax G to FE adapter was released today to support the a7R II.

I just installed and it now supports fast PDAF!!! Simply incredible. Fast AF with these Zeiss gems.

Works just like a Metabones adapter and Canon EF lenses would, so you get AF-S and AF-C but no eye-af or tracking. Still, very impressive.

frozenbb

Good to hear, especially for anyone looking for an excellent short-tele while traveling light. The 90mm is an impressive piece of glass.

Question: Is it still as loud as earlier versions?

scho

A new version of the TechArt firmware for their mkIII Contax G to FE adapter was released today to support the a7R II.

I just installed and it now supports fast PDAF!!! Simply incredible. Fast AF with these Zeiss gems.

Works just like a Metabones adapter and Canon EF lenses would, so you get AF-S and AF-C but no eye-af or tracking. Still, very impressive.
Do you have a link for downloading the firmware?

Good to hear, especially for anyone looking for an excellent short-tele while traveling light. The 90mm is an impressive piece of glass.

Question: Is it still as loud as earlier versions?
Much quieter due to the PDAF system. The lens no longer rakes in and out so the frequency of hearing the noise is much less, plus the lens only moves in small increments as you change focus. I only have the 45/2 and the 90/2.8 and both are wicked fast - surprisingly the 90mm is a hair faster.

I'm going to test right now if it is faster to focus than the Batis 85mm - it feels like it!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a link for downloading the firmware?
No, I used their iOS app. They also have an Android app. Just go to the appropriate store and search TechArt. Easy.

Much quieter due to the PDAF system. The lens no longer rakes in and out so the frequency of hearing the noise is much less, plus the lens only moves in small increments as you change focus. I only have the 45/2 and the 90/2.8 and both are wicked fast - surprisingly the 90mm is a hair faster.

I'm going to test right now if it is faster to focus than the Batis 85mm - it feels like it!

- - - Updated - - -

No, I used their iOS app. They also have an Android app. Just go to the appropriate store and search TechArt. Easy.
If you can post a video that would be good. I have the G 45 that I'm thinking of selling. But if it's fast I might hold on to it. Also, how's the accuracy? My adapter (the latest version) was not that accurate at every distance at WO.

If you can post a video that would be good. I have the G 45 that I'm thinking of selling. But if it's fast I might hold on to it. Also, how's the accuracy? My adapter (the latest version) was not that accurate at every distance at WO.
I'm probably going to do a post on my website and will see if I can include a video. It really is very fast. I think the 90mm focuses as fast as the Batis 85mm and almost seems more sure to find focus.

The one problem I am already finding is that if you try to focus at the minimum distance for the lens and are too close, it will hunt back and forth badly and then it is like the adapter gets stuck in that mode and stops using the PDAF points. You eventually need to restart the camera. So, another bug :(

On the upside the black screen lockup appears to have been eradicated.

Accuracy looks to be right on - perfect.

Update. After more testing I need to temper my initial excitement.

The TechArt team has more work to do. The PDAF is still awesome but when the camera can't achieve focus with PDAF - say when you try and focus at or closer than the minimum distance - the adapter will just grind back and forth, hunting. Worse, once it switches into this Contrast Detection mode it wants to stay there. You also lose access to the MF dial when this happens. The 45/2 will exhibit this behavior more frequently than the 90/2.8. Solution is to restart or pop the battery.

I've already sent them feedback so hopefully they will get another rev out in the not so distant future. They seem to put them out at a decent pace. They probably rushed this out so they could at least support the a7R II.

So close to a real usable fast AF adapter. When it works it is just like a native lens. The 90/2.8 focuses just as quickly as the Batis 85mm and seems to lock on when the Batis struggles.

serhan

Thanks for the update. The constant hunting happens at less the mfd happens with Sony lenses also. It comes from the af system...

I tried TechArt web link for the firmware, but it is inactive. Hopefully they will put it online also. Right now they have only android/iphone app access:

http://www.techart-logic.com/2015/DL.html

Update. After more testing I need to temper my initial excitement.

The TechArt team has more work to do. The PDAF is still awesome but when the camera can't achieve focus with PDAF - say when you try and focus at or closer than the minimum distance - the adapter will just grind back and forth, hunting. Worse, once it switches into this Contrast Detection mode it wants to stay there. You also lose access to the MF dial when this happens. The 45/2 will exhibit this behavior more frequently than the 90/2.8. Solution is to restart or pop the battery.

I've already sent them feedback so hopefully they will get another rev out in the not so distant future. They seem to put them out at a decent pace. They probably rushed this out so they could at least support the a7R II.

So close to a real usable fast AF adapter. When it works it is just like a native lens. The 90/2.8 focuses just as quickly as the Batis 85mm and seems to lock on when the Batis struggles.
Jordan did a comparison of Fuji 56mm vs Batis 85mm vs Contax g 90mm:
Fuji 56mm f/1.2 vs. Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 vs. Contax G 90mm f/2.8 - Admiring Light

Thanks for the update. The constant hunting happens at less the mfd happens with Sony lenses also. It comes from the af system...

[/url]
No, this is nothing like that. It is simply a bug in their firmware or a failure to fully support the interface. It is not passing between PDAF and CD modes with any grace. I just used it all day on the Greenbelt here in Austin. When it works it is brilliant but otherwise you want to throw it against a tree. I never have that feeling with my native lenses.

V

Vivek

No, this is nothing like that. It is simply a bug in their firmware or a failure to fully support the interface. It is not passing between PDAF and CD modes with any grace. I just used it all day on the Greenbelt here in Austin. When it works it is brilliant but otherwise you want to throw it against a tree. I never have that feeling with my native lenses.
Thanks. I thought the Batis 85/1.8 was overhyped when you compared the AF of that and this old screw drive..

Thanks. I thought the Batis 85/1.8 was overhyped when you compared the AF of that and this old screw drive..
Hey Vivek. I don't think the Batis 85mm is near top of the line when it comes to AF speed but I have to say that the Zeiss G 90/2.8 is very quick for a screw drive design when PDAF is active. It is really something.

Slingers

This sums up my experience with the techart adapter. It's great when it works but it has too many problems. As with all of the adapters I have the version that can't be updated.

It's encouraging to hear the AF is quick as these lens are an ergonomic nightmare to manual focus with all the adapters. Also it's got me thinking of that a screw mount LAEA3 should be the same when this adapter is working well.

This sums up my experience with the techart adapter. It's great when it works but it has too many problems. As with all of the adapters I have the version that can't be updated.

It's encouraging to hear the AF is quick as these lens are an ergonomic nightmare to manual focus with all the adapters. Also it's got me thinking of that a screw mount LAEA3 should be the same when this adapter is working well.
The bummer is that with their last firmware 1.05 I was completely satisfied with the contrast detection performance and AF accuracy. They had really nailed it and gotten rid of the black screen freezes. But now that we know what is possible with the a7R II and PDAF, it is painful to go back to the slower AF.

Yes, this proves that they (sony) could do a screw adapter without SLT. Makes me very excited to shoot the ZA 135/1.8 on the a7R II when (if) that is available.

Annna T

Please let us know which of the G lenses cover RII corners properly when wide open?

Many thx,

Kirk
45mm F2 and 90mm F2.8; those two are exceptional lenses, particularly the 45mm.
35mm : mixed feedbacks; some say OK, other don't appreciate the corners. Even in the original body it didn't have such a good reputation. I don't have it, so no first hand experience.
Shorter : forget it; smeared corners, although the magenta cast in the corners is gone on the a7r2 (hearsay, no a7r2 here).
The 35-70mm zoom : seems it can't be adapted ? But no first hand experience.

I confirm that the Techart adapters are tricky. I got two different ones, each one create problems with different lenses. The newer is better with the 90mm and the older (without firmware updates possible) works better with the shorter ones.
Kipon makes an MF adapter with which I was satisfied on my E-M5 body.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
i use the 90 with the metabones manual focus adapter. nice lens:

Last edited:
A few with the 45/2 from yesterday...note on the last one, he was running across the street and the AF nailed it with phase detection in a fraction of a second at f/2!

serhan

45mm f2 was the second sharpest lens (after Canon 200 f2) tested on film per photodo tests. They are same planar lenses as Contarex 50mm, ZM 45mm, and Loxia 50mm, going back 60 years. Loxia is the updated Sony version, most probably sharper then 45mm, but no af... 35mm is not at 45mm level, but still it is good stopped down. Here is comparison to Loxia 35mm:
Zeiss Loxia Biogon 35/2 Review | Viktor's photo blog - Part 2

I like 45mm a lot on A7R, so I didn't use 35mm as much, but here is a quick hand held 35mm g f/8 shot+techart af adapter on A7R thru double glass windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7df3ohd5929ydcy/DSC03172-3.jpg?dl=0
It has planar bokeh, eg not nice as Sony Sonnars...

I need to update my adapter, great shots Chad!

45mm F2 and 90mm F2.8; those two are exceptional lenses, particularly the 45mm.
35mm : mixed feedbacks; some say OK, other don't appreciate the corners. Even in the original body it didn't have such a good reputation. I don't have it, so no first hand experience.
Shorter : forget it; smeared corners, although the magenta cast in the corners is gone on the a7r2 (hearsay, no a7r2 here).
The 35-70mm zoom : seems it can't be adapted ? But no first hand experience.

I confirm that the Techart adapters are tricky. I got two different ones, each one create problems with different lenses. The newer is better with the 90mm and the older (without firmware updates possible) works better with the shorter ones.
Kipon makes an MF adapter with which I was satisfied on my E-M5 body.