Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

  1. #1
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    A new version of the TechArt firmware for their mkIII Contax G to FE adapter was released today to support the a7R II.

    I just installed and it now supports fast PDAF!!! Simply incredible. Fast AF with these Zeiss gems.

    Works just like a Metabones adapter and Canon EF lenses would, so you get AF-S and AF-C but no eye-af or tracking. Still, very impressive.
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post

  2. #2
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Nice
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member frozenbb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Good to hear, especially for anyone looking for an excellent short-tele while traveling light. The 90mm is an impressive piece of glass.

    Question: Is it still as loud as earlier versions?
    Tom
    Flickr Photostream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    A new version of the TechArt firmware for their mkIII Contax G to FE adapter was released today to support the a7R II.

    I just installed and it now supports fast PDAF!!! Simply incredible. Fast AF with these Zeiss gems.

    Works just like a Metabones adapter and Canon EF lenses would, so you get AF-S and AF-C but no eye-af or tracking. Still, very impressive.
    Do you have a link for downloading the firmware?
    Carl
    Gallery

  5. #5
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by frozenbb View Post
    Good to hear, especially for anyone looking for an excellent short-tele while traveling light. The 90mm is an impressive piece of glass.

    Question: Is it still as loud as earlier versions?
    Much quieter due to the PDAF system. The lens no longer rakes in and out so the frequency of hearing the noise is much less, plus the lens only moves in small increments as you change focus. I only have the 45/2 and the 90/2.8 and both are wicked fast - surprisingly the 90mm is a hair faster.

    I'm going to test right now if it is faster to focus than the Batis 85mm - it feels like it!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Do you have a link for downloading the firmware?
    No, I used their iOS app. They also have an Android app. Just go to the appropriate store and search TechArt. Easy.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Socorro, NM
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Much quieter due to the PDAF system. The lens no longer rakes in and out so the frequency of hearing the noise is much less, plus the lens only moves in small increments as you change focus. I only have the 45/2 and the 90/2.8 and both are wicked fast - surprisingly the 90mm is a hair faster.

    I'm going to test right now if it is faster to focus than the Batis 85mm - it feels like it!

    - - - Updated - - -



    No, I used their iOS app. They also have an Android app. Just go to the appropriate store and search TechArt. Easy.
    If you can post a video that would be good. I have the G 45 that I'm thinking of selling. But if it's fast I might hold on to it. Also, how's the accuracy? My adapter (the latest version) was not that accurate at every distance at WO.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by hiepphotog View Post
    If you can post a video that would be good. I have the G 45 that I'm thinking of selling. But if it's fast I might hold on to it. Also, how's the accuracy? My adapter (the latest version) was not that accurate at every distance at WO.
    I'm probably going to do a post on my website and will see if I can include a video. It really is very fast. I think the 90mm focuses as fast as the Batis 85mm and almost seems more sure to find focus.

    The one problem I am already finding is that if you try to focus at the minimum distance for the lens and are too close, it will hunt back and forth badly and then it is like the adapter gets stuck in that mode and stops using the PDAF points. You eventually need to restart the camera. So, another bug

    On the upside the black screen lockup appears to have been eradicated.

    Accuracy looks to be right on - perfect.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Update. After more testing I need to temper my initial excitement.

    The TechArt team has more work to do. The PDAF is still awesome but when the camera can't achieve focus with PDAF - say when you try and focus at or closer than the minimum distance - the adapter will just grind back and forth, hunting. Worse, once it switches into this Contrast Detection mode it wants to stay there. You also lose access to the MF dial when this happens. The 45/2 will exhibit this behavior more frequently than the 90/2.8. Solution is to restart or pop the battery.

    I've already sent them feedback so hopefully they will get another rev out in the not so distant future. They seem to put them out at a decent pace. They probably rushed this out so they could at least support the a7R II.

    So close to a real usable fast AF adapter. When it works it is just like a native lens. The 90/2.8 focuses just as quickly as the Batis 85mm and seems to lock on when the Batis struggles.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Thanks for the update. The constant hunting happens at less the mfd happens with Sony lenses also. It comes from the af system...

    I tried TechArt web link for the firmware, but it is inactive. Hopefully they will put it online also. Right now they have only android/iphone app access:

    http://www.techart-logic.com/2015/DL.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Update. After more testing I need to temper my initial excitement.

    The TechArt team has more work to do. The PDAF is still awesome but when the camera can't achieve focus with PDAF - say when you try and focus at or closer than the minimum distance - the adapter will just grind back and forth, hunting. Worse, once it switches into this Contrast Detection mode it wants to stay there. You also lose access to the MF dial when this happens. The 45/2 will exhibit this behavior more frequently than the 90/2.8. Solution is to restart or pop the battery.

    I've already sent them feedback so hopefully they will get another rev out in the not so distant future. They seem to put them out at a decent pace. They probably rushed this out so they could at least support the a7R II.

    So close to a real usable fast AF adapter. When it works it is just like a native lens. The 90/2.8 focuses just as quickly as the Batis 85mm and seems to lock on when the Batis struggles.
    Jordan did a comparison of Fuji 56mm vs Batis 85mm vs Contax g 90mm:
    Fuji 56mm f/1.2 vs. Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 vs. Contax G 90mm f/2.8 - Admiring Light
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by serhan View Post
    Thanks for the update. The constant hunting happens at less the mfd happens with Sony lenses also. It comes from the af system...

    [/url]
    No, this is nothing like that. It is simply a bug in their firmware or a failure to fully support the interface. It is not passing between PDAF and CD modes with any grace. I just used it all day on the Greenbelt here in Austin. When it works it is brilliant but otherwise you want to throw it against a tree. I never have that feeling with my native lenses.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    No, this is nothing like that. It is simply a bug in their firmware or a failure to fully support the interface. It is not passing between PDAF and CD modes with any grace. I just used it all day on the Greenbelt here in Austin. When it works it is brilliant but otherwise you want to throw it against a tree. I never have that feeling with my native lenses.
    Thanks. I thought the Batis 85/1.8 was overhyped when you compared the AF of that and this old screw drive..

  12. #12
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Thanks. I thought the Batis 85/1.8 was overhyped when you compared the AF of that and this old screw drive..
    Hey Vivek. I don't think the Batis 85mm is near top of the line when it comes to AF speed but I have to say that the Zeiss G 90/2.8 is very quick for a screw drive design when PDAF is active. It is really something.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  13. #13
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    This sums up my experience with the techart adapter. It's great when it works but it has too many problems. As with all of the adapters I have the version that can't be updated.

    It's encouraging to hear the AF is quick as these lens are an ergonomic nightmare to manual focus with all the adapters. Also it's got me thinking of that a screw mount LAEA3 should be the same when this adapter is working well.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    This sums up my experience with the techart adapter. It's great when it works but it has too many problems. As with all of the adapters I have the version that can't be updated.

    It's encouraging to hear the AF is quick as these lens are an ergonomic nightmare to manual focus with all the adapters. Also it's got me thinking of that a screw mount LAEA3 should be the same when this adapter is working well.
    The bummer is that with their last firmware 1.05 I was completely satisfied with the contrast detection performance and AF accuracy. They had really nailed it and gotten rid of the black screen freezes. But now that we know what is possible with the a7R II and PDAF, it is painful to go back to the slower AF.

    Yes, this proves that they (sony) could do a screw adapter without SLT. Makes me very excited to shoot the ZA 135/1.8 on the a7R II when (if) that is available.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    No CA
    Posts
    795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Please let us know which of the G lenses cover RII corners properly when wide open?

    Many thx,

    Kirk

  16. #16
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    Please let us know which of the G lenses cover RII corners properly when wide open?

    Many thx,

    Kirk
    45mm F2 and 90mm F2.8; those two are exceptional lenses, particularly the 45mm.
    35mm : mixed feedbacks; some say OK, other don't appreciate the corners. Even in the original body it didn't have such a good reputation. I don't have it, so no first hand experience.
    Shorter : forget it; smeared corners, although the magenta cast in the corners is gone on the a7r2 (hearsay, no a7r2 here).
    The 35-70mm zoom : seems it can't be adapted ? But no first hand experience.


    I confirm that the Techart adapters are tricky. I got two different ones, each one create problems with different lenses. The newer is better with the 90mm and the older (without firmware updates possible) works better with the shorter ones.
    Kipon makes an MF adapter with which I was satisfied on my E-M5 body.
    Last edited by Annna T; 30th August 2015 at 07:36.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    i use the 90 with the metabones manual focus adapter. nice lens:
    Last edited by jlm; 30th August 2015 at 08:50.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    A few with the 45/2 from yesterday...note on the last one, he was running across the street and the AF nailed it with phase detection in a fraction of a second at f/2!







    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    The 3rd one! You got that with AF, Chad?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    45mm f2 was the second sharpest lens (after Canon 200 f2) tested on film per photodo tests. They are same planar lenses as Contarex 50mm, ZM 45mm, and Loxia 50mm, going back 60 years. Loxia is the updated Sony version, most probably sharper then 45mm, but no af... 35mm is not at 45mm level, but still it is good stopped down. Here is comparison to Loxia 35mm:
    Zeiss Loxia Biogon 35/2 Review | Viktor's photo blog - Part 2

    I like 45mm a lot on A7R, so I didn't use 35mm as much, but here is a quick hand held 35mm g f/8 shot+techart af adapter on A7R thru double glass windows:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7df3ohd592...172-3.jpg?dl=0
    It has planar bokeh, eg not nice as Sony Sonnars...

    I need to update my adapter, great shots Chad!

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    45mm F2 and 90mm F2.8; those two are exceptional lenses, particularly the 45mm.
    35mm : mixed feedbacks; some say OK, other don't appreciate the corners. Even in the original body it didn't have such a good reputation. I don't have it, so no first hand experience.
    Shorter : forget it; smeared corners, although the magenta cast in the corners is gone on the a7r2 (hearsay, no a7r2 here).
    The 35-70mm zoom : seems it can't be adapted ? But no first hand experience.

    I confirm that the Techart adapters are tricky. I got two different ones, each one create problems with different lenses. The newer is better with the 90mm and the older (without firmware updates possible) works better with the shorter ones.
    Kipon makes an MF adapter with which I was satisfied on my E-M5 body.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The 3rd one! You got that with AF, Chad?
    All with AF, thanks Vivek.

    A couple of them 2 & 3 were shot with a waterproof housing and the front element of said housing is really lousy - creating all kinds of haze and blur, so not completely indicative of lens performance but still a nice look.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by serhan View Post
    It has planar bokeh, eg not nice as Sony Sonnars...
    The majority of my lenses are Sonnars and I love them (and their bokeh) but the planar has its moments when I just have to say wow!

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    The Contax G 45 and 90 also still work well in IR. Two shots below taken on a full spectrum converted A7R with the 45 and 90 mounted via the TechArt II adapter. Does not work on my A7RII so guess I'll have to upgrade the adapter to version 3.

    45mm Contax G Planar (no filter)

    90mm Contax G Sonnar (no filter)
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #24
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by hiepphotog View Post
    If you can post a video that would be good. I have the G 45 that I'm thinking of selling. But if it's fast I might hold on to it. Also, how's the accuracy? My adapter (the latest version) was not that accurate at every distance at WO.
    video link is in the article on my site here: http://chadwadsworth.com/2015/08/30/913/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Hi Show Performance, great news. Can I ask if this improvement in AF only applies for the RII or it applies on the original R as well? Thanks

  26. #26
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Hi Show Performance, great news. Can I ask if this improvement in AF only applies for the RII or it applies on the original R as well? Thanks
    Only for the a7R II

  27. #27
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    I want to order one of these. Is this the latest? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Version-III-...item487597d838 or do I need to order the one marked DEO. None of them mention optimization for A7rII.

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I want to order one of these. Is this the latest? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Version-III-...item487597d838 or do I need to order the one marked DEO. None of them mention optimization for A7rII.
    Hi Cindy,

    Looks like the correct model (version III). You may need to download the firmware upgrade app for your smartphone to get the latest firmware with support for the A7RII. I ordered the version III adapter from MX Camera directly, but have not received it yet. I can use my older model (II) adapter on the A7R and A7RII, but AF is unreliable so I only use MF mode with that adapter.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Some incredible news for Contax G fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    A new version of the TechArt firmware for their mkIII Contax G to FE adapter was released today to support the a7R II.

    I just installed and it now supports fast PDAF!!! Simply incredible. Fast AF with these Zeiss gems.

    Works just like a Metabones adapter and Canon EF lenses would, so you get AF-S and AF-C but no eye-af or tracking. Still, very impressive.
    Many thanks Chad for providing the links and instructions for this update. I just received the version III adapter from Lau at MX Camera and ran the version 2 firmware update from my iPhone following your instructions - worked perfectly. I can't believe how fast and accurate the AF is now with both the Contax G 45 & 90. Hope they can fix the close focus bug, but I'm more than happy with this updated adapter using PD AF.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •