The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rokinon 135mm f/2 on Sony A7RII

Amin

The 42MP sensor on the A7RII is going to expose some lenses for being less sharp than one would like. The Rokinon / Samyang 135mm f/2 is not one of those lenses.

This is wide open at f/2, and you can see the aliasing effects all the way down to the bottom of my son's shirt if you click through to the full res version:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Perfect shirt that will do that. Polyester can cause havoc when going portrait work. Wool can also be bad.

V

Vivek

The 42MP sensor on the A7RII is going to expose some lenses for being less sharp than one would like. The Rokinon / Samyang 135mm f/2 is not one of those lenses.
Good to know. :)

Do you know of any lens that does not show moire? I ask because Erik says that even the 24-70 zoom shows moire.

I do see one positive- no need for sharpening resulting in ornage peels. :LOL:

Amin

If anyone has an A7RII image from the 24-70 at f/4 showing aliasing effects near the bottom edge, I'd be interested to see it. I didn't think that lens was sharp enough to do that wide open.

V

Vivek

The more interesting question would be: Is the aliasing a problem when it comes to batch processing?

(I am not complaining lest Sony bring back their shot gun shutters- I do not see any moire with any lens on my A7r. :LOL: )

Amin

I wish someone would do an AF version of this lens. Would buy that in an instant!

V

Vivek

If sony make a monochrome FF camera (I hope they do- that is the next Sony FF cam that I will buy- yes, it is definite!), I will buy this lens. It is good to know how good this lens is and on a camera that will have no color moire problems, it will sing.

Amin

I'm pretty sure I will buy this lens despite the lack of manual focus. It's very affordable and optically quite amazing. IBIS + focus magnifier makes it easy to manually focus on subjects that remain still for a few seconds.

I'm pretty sure I will buy this lens despite the lack of manual focus. It's very affordable and optically quite amazing. IBIS + focus magnifier makes it easy to manually focus on subjects that remain still for a few seconds.
I bought this lens a few months ago and was stunned by how sharp it is. That was on the A7. My A7RII is coming Friday. I am very curious to see how much stabilization I get with only 3 axis operating on a non-native lens. On my A7, I get zero color fringing as well. Even with an extreme transition that causes all of my other lenses to fringe except for my 180 3.4 APO Leica. Very impressive. The color cast is more yellow than I like, but then again it is more similar to my old 85 1.2L FD. Perhaps a conscious decision to emulate Canon? Who knows.

Eventually there will be a Batis version, and that will be mine one day. :)

dmward

Amin,
When clicking through I get a corrupted file.

I have the 85 1.2. Haven't tried it on the A7RII. This is an incentive to do some testing.

I've found that moire shows up on some images depending on processing and JPG compression for web posting. I presume these are out of camera JPGs. Have you fiddled with the JPG settings in the camera to see if that has an impact?

Amin

Amin,
When clicking through I get a corrupted file.

I have the 85 1.2. Haven't tried it on the A7RII. This is an incentive to do some testing.

I've found that moire shows up on some images depending on processing and JPG compression for web posting. I presume these are out of camera JPGs. Have you fiddled with the JPG settings in the camera to see if that has an impact?

I wasn't pointing out the aliasing as a problem but rather as an indicator of sharpness. This image was processed in C1. Haven't shot in an-cam JPEG in about 10 years now :D.

Clicking through should work. I've tested it from multiple computers/connections.

dmward

Not sure why I'm getting the corrupted file. That has happened to me a few time with Flicker. Probably something between them and Safari.

I shoot raw plus JPG at the moment. I got in the habit with Fuji X system. It is the only way to get high resolution review on the LCD. Not sure if that's the case with Sony. Never use the JPGs other than that.

The 85 version I have is quite sharp. Will be interesting to see how it performs compared to Batis.

Guy Mancuso

The Batis 85 will most definitely hit the nyquist level to cause moire wide open. I got it a few times already. I wish this Rokinion was really small. Seems like a big lens, maybe it's the stupid hood.

Guy Mancuso

Physical
Filter Thread Front:77 mm
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.2 x 5.83" (8.13 x 14.81 cm)
Weight 29.63 oz (840 g)