Site Sponsors

Thread: Rokinon 135mm f/2 on Sony A7RII

Post Thanks / Like

Rokinon 135mm f/2 on Sony A7RII

The 42MP sensor on the A7RII is going to expose some lenses for being less sharp than one would like. The Rokinon / Samyang 135mm f/2 is not one of those lenses.

This is wide open at f/2, and you can see the aliasing effects all the way down to the bottom of my son's shirt if you click through to the full res version:

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Rokinon 135mm f/2 on Sony A7RII

Perfect shirt that will do that. Polyester can cause havoc when going portrait work. Wool can also be bad.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    The 42MP sensor on the A7RII is going to expose some lenses for being less sharp than one would like. The Rokinon / Samyang 135mm f/2 is not one of those lenses.
    Good to know.

Do you know of any lens that does not show moire? I ask because Erik says that even the 24-70 zoom shows moire.

I do see one positive- no need for sharpening resulting in ornage peels.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has an A7RII image from the 24-70 at f/4 showing aliasing effects near the bottom edge, I'd be interested to see it. I didn't think that lens was sharp enough to do that wide open.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The more interesting question would be: Is the aliasing a problem when it comes to batch processing?

(I am not complaining lest Sony bring back their shot gun shutters- I do not see any moire with any lens on my A7r. )

Post Thanks / Like

I wish someone would do an AF version of this lens. Would buy that in an instant!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If sony make a monochrome FF camera (I hope they do- that is the next Sony FF cam that I will buy- yes, it is definite!), I will buy this lens. It is good to know how good this lens is and on a camera that will have no color moire problems, it will sing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I will buy this lens despite the lack of manual focus. It's very affordable and optically quite amazing. IBIS + focus magnifier makes it easy to manually focus on subjects that remain still for a few seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I will buy this lens despite the lack of manual focus. It's very affordable and optically quite amazing. IBIS + focus magnifier makes it easy to manually focus on subjects that remain still for a few seconds.
    I bought this lens a few months ago and was stunned by how sharp it is. That was on the A7. My A7RII is coming Friday. I am very curious to see how much stabilization I get with only 3 axis operating on a non-native lens. On my A7, I get zero color fringing as well. Even with an extreme transition that causes all of my other lenses to fringe except for my 180 3.4 APO Leica. Very impressive. The color cast is more yellow than I like, but then again it is more similar to my old 85 1.2L FD. Perhaps a conscious decision to emulate Canon? Who knows.

Eventually there will be a Batis version, and that will be mine one day.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish someone would do an AF version of this lens. Would buy that in an instant!
    There is such a lens! - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._1_8_Carl.html

Name:  Zeiss 135mm lens-2.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  40.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    There is such a lens!
    Yes, but I want Rokinon pricing and no adapter .

But seriously though, if that lens is as sharp as this Rokinon, I will have to consider it!

Post Thanks / Like

Amin,
    When clicking through I get a corrupted file.

I have the 85 1.2. Haven't tried it on the A7RII. This is an incentive to do some testing.

I've found that moire shows up on some images depending on processing and JPG compression for web posting. I presume these are out of camera JPGs. Have you fiddled with the JPG settings in the camera to see if that has an impact?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but I want Rokinon pricing and no adapter
    You and me both!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Amin,
    When clicking through I get a corrupted file.

I have the 85 1.2. Haven't tried it on the A7RII. This is an incentive to do some testing.

I've found that moire shows up on some images depending on processing and JPG compression for web posting. I presume these are out of camera JPGs. Have you fiddled with the JPG settings in the camera to see if that has an impact?

I wasn't pointing out the aliasing as a problem but rather as an indicator of sharpness. This image was processed in C1. Haven't shot in an-cam JPEG in about 10 years now .

Clicking through should work. I've tested it from multiple computers/connections.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why I'm getting the corrupted file. That has happened to me a few time with Flicker. Probably something between them and Safari.

I shoot raw plus JPG at the moment. I got in the habit with Fuji X system. It is the only way to get high resolution review on the LCD. Not sure if that's the case with Sony. Never use the JPGs other than that.

The 85 version I have is quite sharp. Will be interesting to see how it performs compared to Batis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Batis 85 will most definitely hit the nyquist level to cause moire wide open. I got it a few times already. I wish this Rokinion was really small. Seems like a big lens, maybe it's the stupid hood.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Physical
    Filter Thread Front:77 mm
    Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.2 x 5.83" (8.13 x 14.81 cm)
    Weight 29.63 oz (840 g)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm pretty sure I will buy this lens despite the lack of manual focus.
    How can you shoot with it without buying?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I borrowed it for review.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Physical
    Filter Thread Front:77 mm
    Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.2 x 5.83" (8.13 x 14.81 cm)
    Weight 29.63 oz (840 g)
    It's a big lens for sure. Similar to other 135/2 lenses I've used from Canon and Nikon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    There are logical explanations to that question, but how can you shoot with it without manual focus ?
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the file to open in Safari on an iMAC with 27 in monitor.
    At 1:1 in preview I can not see any problematic moire. There are some areas where there is subtile blue stripes that seem not to be accurate to the color of the shirt. There also appears to be some chromatic fringing between the blue gray and neon green under armor logo.

I wonder how much moire appearing on our computer screens has to do with the graphics processor, screen size and resolution rather than the file itself.

There are probably some sizes below 1:1 that will cause moire on a given screen with given processing parameters from the raw converter to JPG.

It is a sharp lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Another wide open shot. This lens is crazy sharp. I have seen only the slightest longitudinal CA. Such great glass for the money!

_DSC4579
    by Amin Sabet, on Flickr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another wide open shot. This lens is crazy sharp. I have seen only the slightest longitudinal CA. Such great glass for the money!

_DSC4579
    by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

You are getting wonderful images! I assume these were handheld with the manual setting for IBIS?

My A7RII got shipped by ground instead of 2day. A very rare Amazon error. The emailed invoice clearly states: 2day. I gave them some polite feedback that they had a glitch in the system. They apologized and extended my Prime membership by one month.

I am very torn. I do not really need any more resolution than the A7 has, but the IBIS and the ability to shoot ridiculous high iso is very tempting... All the other advantages are frosting on the cake as well. I also have to admit that, aside from simple gear lust, the capability to throw away resolution in downsizing for enhanced noise reduction is also tempting.

Being addicted to photography is only slightly less expensive than drug addiction...

Post Thanks / Like

Some more samples with this lens wide open:

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think its beautiful! I bought one. Thanks for the pics!
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Here are the raw files for anyone who would like to examine them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B93...ew?usp=sharing

In addition to the ones shown above, there is a dedicated bokeh series (f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6) and sharpness series (f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11) in that download.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Here are the raw files for anyone who would like to examine them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B93...ew?usp=sharing

In addition to the ones shown above, there is a dedicated bokeh series (f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6) and sharpness series (f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11) in that download.
    Very nice work!
    I do want to warn you, though. In the Bokeh series, the top link in that chain looks like it is ready to snap! Actually, it seems to be the plastic coating that is cracking, but you might want to take a peek inside to see just how much corrosion is going on in there.

Is this the level of nit picking we are going to experience now? This is just crazy resolution. In your resolution series, even at f2.0, where the focus will not be perfect across the front of the building, you can see grain in the door (under the paint). Stopping it down a few notches makes it almost a forensic record of the building.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together. Even though I have the lens, I am still waiting for the new beast to arrive.
    I plan to test against some of my old classic lenses. At f8 and smaller apertures, I expect they will all look pretty good, but it will still be interesting.