The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AF zoom lens choice for A7rII

Hausen

It is my birthday coming up in a couple of weeks which means I will have opportunity to add to my lens collection without any dramas from the better half. Have fully committed to Sony now and realise I don't have an AF lens option for social events or when I am on either motorbike or mountain bike.

My current kit is:
Zeiss 15 2.8 Zf.2
Canon 24,45,90 TS-E
Leica M 28, 50 Summicron, Canon 50 1.4, Minolta 90/4
Canon 200 2.8

Question really has anybody tried/like the Sony FE24-70/4 on A7rII. Never saw to many good things about it on previous models. Already have good wide options so 16-35 isn't that attractive. Looked at the Zeiss 24-70 SSM in A mount but for a now and then lens don't want to spend the money. Anybody think of a good option in the 24-70 Zoom or have an opinion on the FE24-70 would be a big help. If not the zoom then maybe I just get the FE28/2?

dmward

I have the 24-70 F4 and its a good lens. Sharp. Sure the corners are soft wide open. However, generally those parts of the image are unimportant anyway.

I like it. Use it for shooting weddings and general other work.

I also have the 28 F2 which is an outstanding lens. Especially considering the price. I got the Batis so will put the 28 on the block since I prefer the wider field of view.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

It is my birthday coming up in a couple of weeks which means I will have opportunity to add to my lens collection without any dramas from the better half. Have fully committed to Sony now and realise I don't have an AF lens option for social events or when I am on either motorbike or mountain bike.

My current kit is:
Zeiss 15 2.8 Zf.2
Canon 24,45,90 TS-E
Leica M 28, 50 Summicron, Canon 50 1.4, Minolta 90/4
Canon 200 2.8

Question really has anybody tried/like the Sony FE24-70/4 on A7rII. Never saw to many good things about it on previous models. Already have good wide options so 16-35 isn't that attractive. Looked at the Zeiss 24-70 SSM in A mount but for a now and then lens don't want to spend the money. Anybody think of a good option in the 24-70 Zoom or have an opinion on the FE24-70 would be a big help. If not the zoom then maybe I just get the FE28/2?
Although I have the FE 24-70 I use it mainly for non-critical work (aka snapshots). For serious work I take my FE 35/1.4 and the FE 55 and FE 70-200. True, I lose the convenience of precise framing, but I'd rather take a few steps forward (or back) and use the sharpest lenses Sony sells.

In my view the 24-70 isn't up to the standard of the a7II, let alone the a7RII (which I don't have as I blew my budget on MF gear!)

Hausen

Although I have the FE 24-70 I use it mainly for non-critical work (aka snapshots). For serious work I take my FE 35/1.4 and the FE 55 and FE 70-200. True, I lose the convenience of precise framing, but I'd rather take a few steps forward (or back) and use the sharpest lenses Sony sells.

In my view the 24-70 isn't up to the standard of the a7II, let alone the a7RII (which I don't have as I blew my budget on MF gear!)
Thanks Bill, that is exactly what I was thinking. Have been looking at the Canon 24-70 F4 but just seems strange to buy a new Canon lens to use on my Sony body.