The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony "RAWPeg"

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I knew this buying into the A7r. Totally at peace with it. Never ran into the issues myself. People are at this point just using it as a argument against Sony. In the meantime I'm making art and money. Thank you very much

Would I like to have it . No question but it's not going to stop me from buying and shooting

Knorp

Huh ?! Are we really at peace ?
I for one am dying to know whether this lossy compression can be cured by firmware say next month or that we have to wait say another 5 months for the next iteration ... :rolleyes:
In the meanwhile I'll be happily shooting every single artefact that happens to come in front of my lens.

:watch:

V

Vivek

Would you be unhappy if there is no FW update or it is included in an A7RIII?

(FWIW, I waited for a FW update for the A7R -EFCS- never happened.)

Amin

I would not be upset if there is no fw update and it is included in an A7RIII or A9. In fact, that's exactly what I expected to happen, though with all this attention Sony may have to do otherwise.

jim251

Sitting here in San Diego with my grandson shooting eye AF. Holy cow this works great.
Guy, your tip on configuring AF-ON and Eye-AF to the two positions on the AF/MF/AEL-switched button was exactly what I was looking for. I adopted that immediately and find it perfectly intuitive. So please accept some :clap::clap:...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks here is the really cool part. So let's say your in low continoius, AFC mode on wide area setting. You switch to AEL button down. Push in center button you go into eye AF. Now say your subject turns its head you lose eye AF because it can see it. Just let go of center button than camera immediately goes to normal AFC wide area and you still picking up subject let's say back of head in this case. You simply can't miss if you know when to switch out . It's so intuitive this way.

Just so folks know I made that AEL switch button to eye AF in my custom mode so switch down than use center push button to engage eye AF. You have to continuously hold that button to AF with your thumb but using your index you can shoot away. Very nice setup

Knorp

Crikey Vivek, if there is no firmware update I'd be more than unhappy ... :D

But seriously, I'm hoping for some kind of explanation from Sony whether it can be mended in firmware or that more horsepower is required.

Kind regards.

Did the exact same thing (though independently) and its freakin' awesome. I love working this way and its something I miss when I go to my SLR-based bodies.

Thanks here is the really cool part. So let's say your in low continoius, AFC mode on wide area setting. You switch to AEL button down. Push in center button you go into eye AF. Now say your subject turns its head you lose eye AF because it can see it. Just let go of center button than camera immediately goes to normal AFC wide area and you still picking up subject let's say back of head in this case. You simply can't miss if you know when to switch out . It's so intuitive this way.

Just so folks know I made that AEL switch button to eye AF in my custom mode so switch down than use center push button to engage eye AF. You have to continuously hold that button to AF with your thumb but using your index you can shoot away. Very nice setup

dmward

Crikey Vivek, if there is no firmware update I'd be more than unhappy ... :D

But seriously, I'm hoping for some kind of explanation from Sony whether it can be mended in firmware or that more horsepower is required.

Kind regards.
Since all the descriptions of the lossy compression describe it as applying to pixel data based on the luminance value of the pixel it has to be software driven rather than hardware driven. There is no way for the hardware to know what the luminance value will be for a given pixel in a given image. Even the pixel stripping, as described, depends on the luminous values of the pixels to generate the ramp.

This is not to say that Sony won't put it off for a new piece of hardware.
If they do, it is, in my view, quite arrogant of them as a company.

In the mean time I am happily shooting away with my A7RII. It sounds like the problems tend to raise their head at the extremes. Most often when I shoot I use bracketing mode, to give me the option of merging multiple images using the Lightroom HDR merge feature to get a 32 bit floating point file for Lightroom and CC to work on. When its an extreme situation were bracketing isn't possible, then I will have to accept the consequences. (Rare to be sure)

I really liked the way the DPR article was written. It highlighted the issue, didn't blow it out of proportion or try to pretend it doesn't exist. I do hope that Sony addresses this in a firmware update but I'm not optimistic. I bought the camera without an expectation of this being resolved which is I think the best way to go in these situations (decide at the time whether the tool works for you not based on some hope of a future update). I'm not optimistic that this will be addressed in a firmware update because I suspect this compression is ingrained pretty deeply in their imaging pipeline and may require an ASIC rev. Lets keep in mind that behind the faceless company that is Sony are real people who are passionate about building tools people love using. I suspect if this was a trivial firmware change, they would have done it already.