The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r2 SteadyShot Observation

k-hawinkler

When SteadyShot is switched to On in the A7r2 Menu - for example for an FE 1,8/55 lens - or the ON/OFF OPTICAL STEADY SHOT switch of an FE 2.8/90 MACRO G OSS lens is set to ON then, going into Menu/ Camera Settings/SteadyShot Settings/SteadyShot Adjust, one can choose between Auto and Manual. If one chooses Manual then a value for the SteadyS. Focal Len. parameter can be selected from 8 mm up to 1000 mm.

Typically one likely would choose Auto for an FE lens from Sony or ZEISS that also does AF. However, if one has used before, for example a tele lens from Leica via adapter, Manual is still active in the menu together with the setting for the SteadyS. Focal Len.. So, if one forgets to set SteadyShot Adjust to Auto and doesn't enter the correct SteadyS. Focal Len. value, then the Sony FE lens with SteadyShot On will be using an incorrect value for the SteadyS. Focal Len.

So, I verified this behavior by using a value of 1000 mm for SteadyS. Focal Len. for both Sony FE lenses mentioned above. As soon as one pushes the shutter button halfway down, the image in the viewfinder jerks around uncontrollably and focus is impossible.

Unfortunately my A7r2 was still setup this way when a huge Praying Mantis killed a Hummingbird on our Hummingbird Feeder and began feeding on it.

As soon as the huge Praying Mantis noticed that we were observing the spectacle from a close distance the Mantis climbed into the tree above.

One can still see a Hummingbird feather hanging of her mouth. Huge Mantises seem to be known for this behavior. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis

Please take note of the poor image quality due to the incorrect and very large value of 1000 mm for SteadyS. Focal Len..

Knorp

What a gruesome sight, K-H. Alas, such is nature's way.
As for the camera's SS not recognising the FE lens: something similar used to happen with M-cameras not automatically recognising 6-bits lenses when you were in manual.

Next time you better protect your sources ... ;)

Kind regards.

uhoh7

This is why I never store my M9 and A7.mod together.

I'm not sure which is the Mantis and which is the Hummingbird, but I just know there will be blood :toocool:

k-hawinkler

What a gruesome sight, K-H. Alas, such is nature's way.
As for the camera's SS not recognising the FE lens: something similar used to happen with M-cameras not automatically recognising 6-bits lenses when you were in manual.

Next time you better protect your sources ... ;)

Kind regards.

Thanks Bart. I have taken pictures of Hummingbirds for years and never seen anything like this.
The Hummingbirds stay away from Bees and Ants that consume the sugar water as well.
The Bees win every time.

Bad timing on my part to check out how SteadyShot works in detail.

Thanks for the pointer to M-cameras not automatically recognising 6-bit lenses when you were in manual.
You are right, of course. I had forgotten about that. Still have my M9, but it sees less use.
It will be interesting to see what Leica will come up with next.

Viramati

HI K-H.
Not sure what exactly is going on here. I just tried mounting my CV 15 and the setting automatically goes to manual and I can change the FL manually to 15mm. I then mounted the FE55 and it automatically goes back to the auto setting. I have no need to switch to manual when mounting an adapted lens as it does it automatically. Am I missing something?
By the way I have all the steady shot setting in the fn menu so it is very quick to access and check them

tashley

Subscriber Member
HI K-H.
Not sure what exactly is going on here. I just tried mounting my CV 15 and the setting automatically goes to manual and I can change the FL manually to 15mm. I then mounted the FE55 and it automatically goes back to the auto setting. I have no need to switch to manual when mounting an adapted lens as it does it automatically. Am I missing something?
By the way I have all the steady shot setting in the fn menu so it is very quick to access and check them
David, same here...

k-hawinkler

HI K-H.
Thanks David. Interesting!
Maybe I should not have tried to set the parameter from Auto to Manual when one of the two FE lenses was mounted and then willfully changed the focal length parameter.
I was just curious how the lens would behave, whether it would use the value I set or not. Now I know not to do that.

ohnri

David, same here...
Amazing sight! I had no idea a mantis could do such a thing. Thanks for posting that.

If you set the A7r2 to Manual before removing the FE lens then it will stay that way when you return the FE lens. Whatever setting you place will remain in force.

If you leave it on AUTO then it will return to Auto when you return a FE lens.

Whether you have the potential for trouble depends on the order in which you do things.

-Bill

k-hawinkler

Amazing sight! I had no idea a mantis could do such a thing. Thanks for posting that.

If you set the A7r2 to Manual before removing the FE lens then it will stay that way when you return the FE lens. Whatever setting you place will remain in force.

If you leave it on AUTO then it will return to Auto when you return a FE lens.

Whether you have the potential for trouble depends on the order in which you do things.

-Bill

Thank you. Indeed that seems to be the case.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We needed a disclaimer:

Animals were harmed during the filming of this production. This is blessed by Mother Nature so please no whining and no law suits. LOL

k-hawinkler

Could have switched to video mode? :)

Exactly Vivek, next time, if we ever see such a spectacle again.

I had to ask my son, who is visiting with his family, to take the pictures as my eyes were still dilated from an eye exam and I hardly saw anyhting. :banghead: :facesmack: :bugeyes:

The Mantis sure didn't hang around very long when it noticed us in close proximity and made a hasty escape.

I promise I'll keep at least one of my cameras ready at all times for such an unusual occurance! :shocked: