The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cropping on the Sony A7RII?

joelorbita

I am considering buying the new Sony A7R II and noticed that the crop modes are the same as the original A7R (3:2 and 16:9).

I noticed that the Canon 5DS has the option to crop as a jpeg and then output the raw as the full 3:2 file, leaving the freedom to crop later in post..

" The EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R allow you to choose from three crop options which are shown in the viewfinder to help you to compose – choose either to see these as outlines or as a masked area. JPEG images are captured at the selected crop setting while RAW files are captured full-frame with the crop shown in DPP, allowing for fine adjustment afterwards. "

This seems extremely valuable to me, as I shoot a lot of headshots and these are always printed as 10 x 8. So, as I see it, the Sony A7RII does not have this which would mean either taping up the rear lcd screen and then using something like a Zacuto or LCDVF

DSLR Viewfinder, DSLR EyePiece, Optical Viewfinder - Zacuto Z-Finder

https://www.kinotehnik.com/products/lcdvf/overview

which is a bit of a pain and obviously adds significant bulk to the camera.

So I am wondering, is there any way of adding a mask or something else to the EVF and masking off the image that way?

I previously had a Katz Eyes with my old SLR and this was great but obviously no chance of that happening with the Sony A7RII either, due to no mirror mechanism/focusing screen :(

Thanks,any suggestions or insights would be very gratefully appreciated!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The EVF and LCD only have the option for displaying a grid, either 1/3rds, square grid with/without a diagonal overlay. There's no 5x4 option unfortunately (I'd like it too).

joelorbita

Its a shame really :(

Just checked out one in a camera store and it looks like there is no way of fiddling with the eye piece to be able to mask it off to 5:4 framing..

Looks like I will have to throw a zacuto onto the rear screen and do it that way..

Both the rear LCD and the EVF have exactly the same performance when autofocusing, lag etc etc

joelorbita

Sorry, that last bit was meant to be a question?

Do both the rear LCD and the EVF have exactly the same performance? eg when autofocusing, lag time etc etc

Thanks.

karlfoto

Would providing other crop options for the a7 cameras just be a firmware upgrade. A 5:4 ratio would be something that i am really keen as i prefer that format over the 3:2 for my landscape images.