Site Sponsors

Thread: Best Polarizing Filter for Sony/Zeiss?

Post Thanks / Like

Best Polarizing Filter for Sony/Zeiss?

Hello all,
    I have always used either B+W or Heliopan Filters but I was wondering about Zeiss for my new 70-200 f4 FE, and for my pre-ordered Zeiss 25mm Batis. With newer lenses and sensor technology what (if anything) should I be looking for?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Polarizing Filter for Sony/Zeiss?

Add Hoya to your list of premium filters.

Most important, do not scrimp on the coatings! Not only will it greatly reduce flare, but the ability of those lens coatings to resist fingerprints is critical. You can save $$$ if you buy one without the premium layers (different manufacturers call it different things, but they all resist fingerprints), but it will come back to haunt you.

Believe me, I know. I bought several non-resistant filters and have had to replace most of them. Once a fingerprint gets on them, if you don't -immediately- clean it off, the oils will eat into the coating and leave a permanent fingerprint. Nobody needs that.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Formatt-Hitech Filters. I think they are better on my A7S than on the NEX-7.
    Craig Slingsby
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    Hello all,
    I have always used either B+W or Heliopan Filters but I was wondering about Zeiss for my new 70-200 f4 FE, and for my pre-ordered Zeiss 25mm Batis. With newer lenses and sensor technology what (if anything) should I be looking for?
    Thanks,
    J. Paul
    The current best is from Breakthrough Photography. I have done a few tests myself against most of the top tier filter makers out there, and it comes out with the least flares, least sharpness reduction, best coating (fluorite coating on both sides, B+W only on the front), and best frame design with the thinnest possible profile.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Sony Zeiss 72mm VF-72CPAM circular polarizer and it's great.
    I've heard great filters from Breakthrough Photography and probably on my list for the next lens with 77mm diameter or larger.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your feedback on Polarizing Filters! I tried to order the Polarizing filter from Breakthrough Photography but they are back-ordered. I sent them an email for estimated delivery, but if it's going to be a while, I will probably go with the Zeiss.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an interesting link with a Pola filter test:
    http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article...d_summary.html

You did not ask but I find this highly interesting as well:
    http://www.lenstip.com/113.4-article...d_summary.html

Long story short: there are many quality differences in filters!
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am really surprised no one mentioned the only filters I would ever put I front of my expensive glass ..... For me it is Singh Ray 77mm filters and 4"x6" gradients or nothing at all.

I have owned a bunch of various top of the line filters over the years but nothing comes close to Singh Ray ( but you do definitely pay for this quality as well)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
    Thanks for your feedback on Polarizing Filters! I tried to order the Polarizing filter from Breakthrough Photography but they are back-ordered. I sent them an email for estimated delivery, but if it's going to be a while, I will probably go with the Zeiss.
    Regards,
    J. Paul
    I used to have a set of Zeiss filters in the past. They are good at almost everything except when you need to clean them. They don't coat their filters with hydrophobic coating. I have seen a few user's reports on the fragility of the coating as well. But if you clean them with ROR and Purosol, they should last quite long. Mine was under regular cleaning for a year without showing sign of any damage. Also, they have aluminum frame instead of brass, but I have yet had any binding incident.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used it but I do own a spray bottle of Zeiss lens cleaning solution from Zeiss....... Don't know if that would make cleaning any better. I just use a high end microfiber cloth if I have to clean a lens or filter.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After many years of struggling with keeping filters clean (and some polarizers are almost impossible to keep smear free), I ended up using Hoodman Lens Cleanse filter cleaning wipes.

Once you tried them you'll never bother with another filter cleaner again. They have rescued smeary filters that I was ready to toss into the trash. Absolutely outstanding for removing any bio residue such as finger grease or saliva (i.e. from blow & wipe situations) on glass. Highly recommended.

As regards filters, I swear by B+W XS-Pro MRC nano Kaesemann but they aren't inexpensive. Singh Ray I like too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    I have never used it but I do own a spray bottle of Zeiss lens cleaning solution from Zeiss....... Don't know if that would make cleaning any better. I just use a high end microfiber cloth if I have to clean a lens or filter.
    Zeiss sells lens cleaning wipes that work really nice. Nice for the bag

Amazon.com: Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cleaning Wipes - Cleans Bacteria, Germs and without Streaks for Eyeglasses and Sunglasses - (200 Count): Beauty
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Be careful with those Zeiss lens cleaner bottle, they do have a small amount of ammonia in it that would flake off your coating if you apply it excessively to the lens surface. That explains why they can remove oil smudge better than Purosol. But for those, ROR is the best.

FWIW, Purosol was developed to clean military optics and NASA telescopes.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I have never used the Zeiss lens cleaner spray bottle .... Picked it up one day out of a bargain bin at a local camera shop for a buck