The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7Rll e-Front Curtain

vjbelle

Sony has noted an exception when using this feature and I am wondering if anyone has had any issues. Sony states that with non Sony lenses there could be uneven exposures when using this feature. I have not experienced this so far but has anyone else? There is a dramatic difference when using longer lenses with the e-Front Curtain off vs on. I consider 'ON' to be mandatory otherwise there is the risk for shutter vibration which I have seen in my tests when turned off.

Victor

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Old issue/feature since NEX-5N. You can make use of it as a grad filter. :)

vjbelle

It depends on shutter speed, you're safe slower than 1/1000s. This blog has some interesting data from experiments:

What’s the fastest shutter speed you should use with EFCS on the a7RII? | The Last Word
a7RII EFCS max shutter speed for native lenses | The Last Word
Very interesting...... however the only time I/anyone would/should need EFCS is in the danger areas with longer lenses (maybe 1/100 to 1/5). So..... very short shutter times are not of a concern to me. It's very rare for me to be shooting at anything beyond 1/1000 so I'll just keep it on. No matter what..... there is a REAL difference between on and off in the danger areas. I tested both the Zeiss 100mm Macro and Nikon 85mm f1.8. Both had very strong vibration issues in the danger speeds with EFCS off. I'm thrilled that Sony fixed this issue.

Victor

dchew

Victor,
For me it is not so much a question of need, but more one of not paying attention. I've never before cared if the shutter speed was "too fast" so I set up the camera on aperture priority to only use higher iso if the shutter speed gets below "x". I've never cared what happens if the shutter speed gets above "y". Here is an example. Aperture priority with a Leica APO 90 summicron. I did not notice the shutter speed was 1/2500:

Dave

vjbelle

Lessons learned...... Just like a lot of other stuff. I hope that wasn't your only try at that image. Sure has a lot of potential......

Victor