The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IBIS on/off

Jim DE

My test was done with the 85 Batis but I want to try my Minolta 200mm 2.8 and see how that does. Maybe today I'll get to it.

To really test out what I posted the Minolta won't do it..... it too does not have Sony in lens OSS....... so it would only test the IBIS not IBIS w/a Sony FE OSS (Pre IBIS designed) lens attached. Apples and oranges again as I see it......

To actually test what happened to me one needs to recreate the individual components and variables. That would be a 16-35 FE( I would guess the 24-70 FE and 70-200FE which are both pre IBIS designed lenses could also exhibit the same results as the 16-35 FE), a7rII with IBIS on and in auto, on a tripod, then rotate the assembly 180 degrees, frame and fire with a shutter speed lower than .5 sec at f7.2 and 100 iso with a remote IR release. I assure you you will turn your IBIS off when on a tripod after that test with it's very low keeper rate. Oh and the tripod was on solid jetty granite rocks inside a inlet during slack tide so it wasn't moving either.

Here was a successful east bound shot from this location just before I lost the next shot 180 degrees facing west to the draw bridge.... as you can see it was very calm with water and wind. It was shot with the same variables except shutter speed because I was using A mode for both and the shutter speed varied to exposure metering needs. Typically on incoming tide that tower on the north side is overwashed with crashing waves.