The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dusting up my Sony E 24/1.8

V

Vivek

The one lens in the E mount line up that would be superb on the upcoming A6000 successor. :grin:

pegelli

Agree Vivek,
btw, have you tried it on your Monochrome NEX? should work there nicely as well I think.

V

Vivek

It is wonderful, Pieter. All will be put to good use on a newer monochrome camera

(The 55-210 isn't shabby either, btw.)

pegelli

It is wonderful, Pieter. All will be put to good use on a newer monochrome camera

(The 55-210 isn't shabby either, btw.)
Well, I almost fell off my chair a few weeks ago reading you were now even liking the 16/2.8 :cool: but I agree the 55-210 is not so shabby either. It's not the sharpest knife in the drawer (at least the copy I have) but it renders quite nicely for a zoom and in the end that's more important for me.

I really hope Sony will bring out a true Monochrome camera, I am not bold enough to go the Kolari route you did so for the time being limit myself to the old fashioned digital way of B&W conversion from a Bayer capture.

V

Vivek

Well, I almost fell off my chair a few weeks ago reading you were now even liking the 16/2.8 :cool: but I agree the 55-210 is not so shabby either. It's not the sharpest knife in the drawer (at least the copy I have) but it renders quite nicely for a zoom and in the end that's more important for me.

I really hope Sony will bring out a true Monochrome camera, I am not bold enough to go the Kolari route you did so for the time being limit myself to the old fashioned digital way of B&W conversion from a Bayer capture.
The E 16/2.8 still isn't ideal but it makes the lightest package with a bare NEX-5N- the E 20/2.8 gets close and is a better lens.

AFAIK, Kolari does not do monochrome conversion although, IIRC, its owner was one of the first to do a monochrome (Nikon D100) conversion ever.

Me current NEX-5NM was courtesy of maxmax.

There are few options (in addition to maxmax) now to get your regular camera debayered. One from S.Korea and another from the US- both are astro oriented but will entertain others.

Amin

The one lens in the E mount line up that would be superb on the upcoming A6000 successor. :grin:
The 50 OSS, FE55, and FE28 are other excellent and non-large lenses that will enjoy meeting that camera. Sigma has a few I'd add to that group as well.

But I agree that the 24mm Sonnar is special.

V

Vivek

50 OSS (not great, IMO) was dismantled and totally unusable; 28mm f/2 should be OK (a tad smaller than the 24/1.8), a Sigma DN 30/2.8 is also destroyed. The 24/1.8 resisted destruction* and is still usable. Probably the most robust lens in E mount to date.

I will buy an FE 55/1.8 in due course. :)

*Attempts to make it cover FF

Looking forward to what tomorrow brings. :)

ggibson

I'm curious too. If they add 5-axis to the next APS-C camera, I'd consider downsizing from my A7 kit to save on size and weight. The 24/1.8 would be a nice do-it-all lens. I'd just have to convince myself to give up the 55/1.8 on FF...

Amin

50 OSS (not great, IMO) was dismantled and totally unusable; 28mm f/2 should be OK (a tad smaller than the 24/1.8), a Sigma DN 30/2.8 is also destroyed. The 24/1.8 resisted destruction* and is still usable. Probably the most robust lens in E mount to date.

I will buy an FE 55/1.8 in due course. :)

*Attempts to make it cover FF

Looking forward to what tomorrow brings. :)

I think destruction-resistance is more important for your lenses than mine ;).

V

Vivek

I'm curious too. If they add 5-axis to the next APS-C camera, I'd consider downsizing from my A7 kit to save on size and weight. The 24/1.8 would be a nice do-it-all lens. I'd just have to convince myself to give up the 55/1.8 on FF...
Silent shutter would do it for me. :)