The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where does an 800 lb gorilla sit in a room with no mirrors?

PeterA

Let me see if I can rephrase to unconfuse..

An in Camera EVF is just a tiny LCD (usually OLED LCD) screen made the same way as your Computer LCD monitor, which is also an LCD (often an LED LCD). So if you are viewing the taking image with an in Camera EVF its essentially close to what you will see on your Desktop LCD Monitor. Its WYSIWYG - Moreso than an OVF.

SLRs came out in the 1950s providing TTL - "through the lens" viewing. An improvement for some rangefinder users.
Digital Mirrorless have improved on SLRs/DSLRs by providing TTLS - "through the lens & sensor" viewing.

Lens selection aside, one remaining advantage of a modern DSLR is focus speed.
The EVF has advantages of no black out and no vibration.

Can manufacturers improve on current EVF LCDs? A: Yes
Will they? A: Yes

In the end use what you want. I don't care.
My shooting process is based on profiled and calibrated workflow for every camera and back I own through to Eizo/Nec monitors and Epson printers. I more interested in what I see on my monitors being as close as possible to what I print - than caring about the in camera LCD picture irrespective of back/camera/optical/evf or whatever .. The in camera LCD and the monitors view of the world is only relevant to me to the extent it helps me make a print that reflects what I wish to print- now if the jpeg rendition on the back of a tiny LCD could match my printer /paper choices much closer than currently able- I am all ears and eyes - because my workflow would be simplified - and the painful and regular calibration process - as well as paper and printer profiling process could be simplified as well.

Yeah I will shoot with what I wish to - as will every one else - but I do care what and why other people choose to use - because I am an inquisitive chap by nature - hence my rare question about other's preferences- when someone says something interesting or unexpected I like to be educated.

-Cheers Pete

doug

A lot of these suggestions are very helpful. However, they tend to be skewed to stationary photography or highly predictive type work rather than spontaneous mobile work (mobile shooter and/or mobile subject).

My issues with Sony EVF cameras as they are today (not what they may be later):

4) Shutter delay (the time from pressing the shutter button to the camera actually capturing the image). Reactive, decisive moment action and/or fleeting human expressions are the hallmark of my paying and personal work, which require as near instant camera reflexes as possible. I do not know if the Mark-II models of the A7 cameras have significantly improved on this … but if not, for me it is a key reason to NOT buy any of them until it is at least as good as my Rangefinder and S camera.
I've enabled the EFC option on the a7II. It has it's weaknesses but the camera's responsiveness is quite good with this enabled.

That said, other than my current Leica S kit, I personally have no intention of owing another DSLR system. The only reason I might opt for a limited 35mm DSLR kit would be to take advantage of the Profoto Mobile TTL lighting available for Canon or Nikon DSLR cameras … and not for Sony or any other make. Since that isn't a compelling enough reason because I'm skilled at manual lighting, I probably won't be getting another DSLR any time soon.
The SLR is history for me.

ohnri

I've enabled the EFC option on the a7II. It has it's weaknesses but the camera's responsiveness is quite good with this enabled.

These images are lovely.

What gear did you use for your remarkable hummingbird photo?

Thanks,

Bill

Zlatko Batistich

This video popped up as recommended in my YouTube account - pretty much sums up my feelings about mirrorless versus traditional DSLR cameras. An emotional speech but a lot of valid points, imho.

https://youtu.be/0MyZG3ZXaGs

LouisB
I agree he makes a lot of valid points. But some photographers have needs that are different than his own. Optical viewing never lags, and doesn't mess up one's night vision — two advantages of the cameras that he criticizes. And traditional rangefinder viewing adds the advantage of no blackout ever. EVF viewing has its advantages, but also has a slight lag and a blackout time and can mess with one's night vision — potential issues for some photographers.

fotografz

Hi Doug, thanks for your post, and info. Good to see you have been able to replace your DMR, and retain continuity with your work.

What do you mean by "I've enabled EFC"? Can you elaborate please?

Thanks,

- Marc

Annna T

Hi Doug, thanks for your post, and info. Good to see you have been able to replace your DMR, and retain continuity with your work.

What do you mean by "I've enabled EFC"? Can you elaborate please?

Thanks,

- Marc
Probably stands for electronic first curtain; that should prevent any camera motion due to the shutter closing and then reopening before the exposure is made.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It should also reduce response time, at least under uptimal conditions. Just to say I was shooting a lot on recent vacation in very dark places and response time was good.

Also, EVF viewing was much better than my quite normal human vision.

Best regards
Erik

Probably stands for electronic first curtain; that should prevent any camera motion due to the shutter closing and then reopening before the exposure is made.

doug

Annna T and Erik are correct, EFC is the electronic first [shutter] curtain. The camera is more responsive with this feature enabled. It's also noticeably quieter, something the critters appreciate especially when working as close at I often do.

It doesn't work properly at shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 sec with adapted lenses (which is all I'm using). I wish the firmware had an option to automatically disable EFC at faster shutter speeds.