The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

Pradeep

Corrrect. I suspect there is a lower shutter rate for which the 2000x Lexar card can keep up with image generation. :watch:
There is on my E-M1.2. :clap:
Actually this is with single shot setting, not high fps. I was testing the lenses on my standard target, taking three shots one after the other in quick succession at the same setting then changing the f-stop and shutter speed, repeating 3 shots etc. Maybe there is something I am not doing right, because while I can continue to take as many shots without any delay (the camera keeps writing to the buffer), I cannot change the f-stop or shutter speed for a few seconds after the last shot until the card has been written to (the red light comes on). It may be to do with the image review (2 seconds per shot), I don't know, will have to check this.

iiiNelson

Actually this is with single shot setting, not high fps. I was testing the lenses on my standard target, taking three shots one after the other in quick succession at the same setting then changing the f-stop and shutter speed, repeating 3 shots etc. Maybe there is something I am not doing right, because while I can continue to take as many shots without any delay (the camera keeps writing to the buffer), I cannot change the f-stop or shutter speed for a few seconds after the last shot until the card has been written to (the red light comes on). It may be to do with the image review (2 seconds per shot), I don't know, will have to check this.
The image review may be the issue but I don't have an A9 to replicate yet it. I usually have image review set to off but I've never experienced an issue switching settings while the card was writing (though admittedly) I've never come close to filling a buffer with how I shoot.

V

Vivek

I think so too. It makes no sense to me to have the image review on.

k-hawinkler

I have Auto Review on OFF, always. :thumbup:

Sony A9- Buffer Real World Test! Continuous High 20 FPS and Medium 10 FPS in Raw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpKTmNFg3

I just did the following test.

• Shoot many frames at 5 fps.
• While the buffer is being emptied I can change parameters in the Function Menu Set but not in the Menu.

Last edited:

Pradeep

The image review may be the issue but I don't have an A9 to replicate yet it. I usually have image review set to off but I've never experienced an issue switching settings while the card was writing (though admittedly) I've never come close to filling a buffer with how I shoot.
Turns out you are absolutely right. That was the issue. I turned off auto-review and now I can change the settings immediately.

Why this is a problem with Sony I don't know. Since I did not test my A7RII in the same way it was a bit of a surprise for me, but it too behaves the same.

However, my Canon bodies never did. I just did the same test with my 7D2 and I can change anything even with auto-review on, instantly after taking a shot or a series of shots. Even if the buffer is full I can change things, there is no connection between the aperture/shutter dials and buffer/card/auto-review.

I have always had AR on, I guess battery life was never an issue with Canon and that has always been my main camera.

Time to learn a new way of doing things. ;)

V

Vivek

Hope you have the airplane mode ON (unless you need to use it) in your sony cams to save on the battery power.

Pradeep

I have Auto Review on OFF, always. :thumbup:

Sony A9- Buffer Real World Test! Continuous High 20 FPS and Medium 10 FPS in Raw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpKTmNFg3

I just did the following test.

• Shoot many frames at 5 fps.
• While the buffer is being emptied I can change parameters in the Function Menu Set but not in the Menu.
K-H, that's an interesting finding, how the main Menu does not work but an alternative does.

Lanier's videos are quite a boost for the A-9. His resolution test comparing it with the A7RII is, hmmm.....a little odd, but fascinating nevertheless. Would love to know what others here think.

http://www.jasonlanier.com/blog/201...ny-a7rii-landscape-shoot-resolution-challenge

Pradeep

Hope you have the airplane mode ON (unless you need to use it) in your sony cams to save on the battery power.
Oh yeah, always have that one on. Easy to forget unless you never turn it off which is what I do, since I never tether or use remotes normally.

k-hawinkler

A few interesting I/O speeds.
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/61507-sonys-new-camera-a9-24.html#post731862 Thanks.

comparison d5 vs. a9 video - FM Forums
A9 vs D5 Real World Comparison - The Sony Shocked us! ��
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX1sfy__7A4&feature=youtu.be
Seems to keep up quite nicely

post.gif p.5 #2 · Sony A9 banding in high-contrast areas
Sony A9 banding in high-contrast areas - FM Forums
Jim has found the likely source of the A9's banding:
Sony a9 electronic shutter details

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Some bees seem to prefer sugar water to the blooming Acacia tree.

Sony ILCE-9 + FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS @ 135mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/500s.

k-hawinkler

The Hummer - Bee Dance! :grin: The Bees or Wasps always drive off the birds - even much bigger ones! :shocked: :loco:

Sony ILCE-9 + Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G @ 300mm, ISO 6400, f/5.6, 1/2000s.

iiiNelson

The Hummer - Bee Dance! :grin: The Bees or Wasps always drive off the birds - even much bigger ones! :shocked: :loco:

Sony ILCE-9 + Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G @ 300mm, ISO 6400, f/5.6, 1/2000s.
Growing up in Texas, I've seen yellow jackets kill hummingbirds so I imagine that they're a natural threat to them everywhere.

iiiNelson

A few interesting I/O speeds.
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/61507-sonys-new-camera-a9-24.html#post731862 Thanks.

comparison d5 vs. a9 video - FM Forums
A9 vs D5 Real World Comparison - The Sony Shocked us! ��
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX1sfy__7A4&feature=youtu.be
Seems to keep up quite nicely

post.gif p.5 #2 · Sony A9 banding in high-contrast areas
Sony A9 banding in high-contrast areas - FM Forums
Jim has found the likely source of the A9's banding:
Sony a9 electronic shutter details
I believe that the big takeaway from this is that mirrorless is now at a place where no one can legitimately disparage the technology or that it's going to probably be the way of the future. In performance metrics it meets or exceeds the best of the best in the DSLR world and there arent many caveats really necessary other than preference for one technology like an OVF or a particular specialty lens that Sony hasn't created as of today.

This is reason for excitement and what the rampant pace of technology that Sony has been creating was working towards. If Canon and Nikon don't get more serious about mirrorless now they're going to lose more customers that don't want/need those specialty features or are indifferent about the viewfinder in the very near future IMO.

Pradeep

^

Agree. Sony and mirrorless has finally come of age. No doubting it now. There are many people who have been using DSLRs for years and have not even given this a thought. I predict at this time next year we will see many of them seriously jumping ship as Sony puts out full frame E mount long lenses and the next version of the A7RII comes out.

k-hawinkler

Growing up in Texas, I've seen yellow jackets kill hummingbirds so I imagine that they're a natural threat to them everywhere.
Thanks Tree. I have not seen that yet, luckily. But I have seen a Hummingbird killed and being eaten by a Praying Mantis late in the season. On the water dishes we set out, it's so incredibly dry here, even birds as large as American Robins are avoiding attacking bees or wasps.