The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

I believe that the big takeaway from this is that mirrorless is now at a place where no one can legitimately disparage the technology or that it's going to probably be the way of the future. In performance metrics it meets or exceeds the best of the best in the DSLR world and there arent many caveats really necessary other than preference for one technology like an OVF or a particular specialty lens that Sony hasn't created as of today.

This is reason for excitement and what the rampant pace of technology that Sony has been creating was working towards. If Canon and Nikon don't get more serious about mirrorless now they're going to lose more customers that don't want/need those specialty features or are indifferent about the viewfinder in the very near future IMO.
Thanks Tre. I still have my Nikon D800E but hardly ever use it. Now that interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras have come of age and match or exceed the autofocusing speed of DSLRs (they have always been more accurate), it should be apparent that the mirrorless design is superior, both in manufacturing complexity and actual use. The mechanical shutter will go next, once sensor readout speeds match or exceed mechanical shutter speeds of around 1/300s. The Sony A9 with 1/150s is already half way there, a major improvement over the A7r.2's 1/12s of the Olympus E-M1.2's 1/60s. Coupling the silent non-vibrating shutter with a blackout free EVF, IBIS, high frame rate, and high ISO performance makes for a very enjoyable and powerful camera use. Now that I have a great collection of Leica, Olympus, and Sony lenses it seems to me that Olympus m4/3 and Sony FF cameras together with the TAP AF adapter will be my choices. Once the AF adapter industry has made major progress I should be even able to successfully AF adapt my S-AF Nikkor lenses.

iiiNelson

Maybe so but they still have an extremely loyal following (for better or worse) and I think their users are likely to disperse to Fuji or Canon systems naturally. Fuji has a nearly complete APS-C system and a larger format option for those that need it for more "serious" sensor options. Canon has OVF cameras and a larger lense selection for those that can't afford MF or need the speed. I think many Nikon users will only begrudgingly buy into Sony because it's Sony.

Last edited:

Pradeep

The begrudging Nikon users simply need a superb AF adapter for their AF-S lenses.
Older Nikkor lenses work just fine with the TechArt Pro LM-EA7 autofocus adapter. :grin:

Here is an extreme overheating test with firmware 1.01.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmxCgu29rCY
Looking good.:thumbs:
Yes, I saw that test, doubt anybody would ever used it in such extreme situations but it does not hurt to know it can survive.

Nikon users may be a die-hard group. A close friend of mine has a lot of skepticism over Sony's achievements even after I demonstrated the A-9's features to him. I think it will happen over time but the big stumbling block is the investment in lenses. For me, I can still use my Canon 100-400 reasonably well on the Sony and am happy to wait for dedicated E-mount stuff to come down the pipes.

An adapter that works well with Nikon lenses would be a huge step towards moving people over to Sony.

IMHO the following will be a great help for Sony:

Upgrade to the a6500 so we have a dedicated APS-C sensor allowing greater reach with lenses of 400mm or shorter. Makes for an extremely lightweight 640mm rig. If this is capable of the AF of the A9 it would be an instant winner.

New and slightly lighter (the current crop is indeed lighter than the Canon stable) long lenses: 500 f4, 600 f4, 200-400/540 f4, 400 f2.8, 300 f2.8.

I am actually very impressed with the Sony teleconverters. They are much smaller and lighter and Canon and in my tests, optical quality at center frame is superb. Will post some results later.

k-hawinkler

So, I updated the latest Sony firmware in these cameras:

A7r.2
a6300
A9

on my ancient 17" Mac Book Pro, running macOS Yosemite, as I was unable to update on my Apple trashcan computer, running the latest version of macOS Sierra.

I had encountered this issue before when trying to update the firmware in my Olympus OM-D cameras with the same outcome.

Also, I could only download the images in my Mavic Pro drone, attached via USB cable to my Apple trashcan computer, after I restarted the computer while connected to the powered up drone.

Hmm, next time I try to update firmware in my cameras on the trashcan, I should restart it while a switched ON camera is USB attached to it. :facesmack:

TEN GREAT NEW SETTINGS ON SONY A7RII
LOVE ITPOSTED BY BRIAN SMITH / 75 COMMENTS
Ten Great New Settings on Sony a7RII

Sony A9 Review by Ken Rockwell

https://youtu.be/GbLL_gcqszw

Last edited:

Pradeep

So, I updated the latest Sony firmware in these cameras:

A7r.2
a6300
A9

on my ancient 17" Mac Book Pro, running macOS Yosemite, as I was unable to update on my Apple trashcan computer, running the latest version of macOS Sierra.

I had encountered this issue before when trying to update the firmware in my Olympus OM-D cameras with the same outcome.

Also, I could only download the images in my Mavic Pro drone, attached via USB cable to my Apple trashcan computer, after I restarted the computer while connected to the powered up drone.

Hmm, next time I try to update firmware in my cameras on the trashcan, I should restart it while a switched ON camera is USB attached to it. :facesmack:
Thanks K-H. I updated everything only two days ago, this is welcome. Some of the menu items are copied over from the A9 which is nice.

There are some reports on the 'star-eating' phenomenon that happened with firmware upgrades on all Sony A series after last year where on night sky imaging, many of the smaller or fainter stars are considered noise and eliminated by the camera, reducing the overall density of stars in the image. Apparently this is not correctable in any way and Sony engineers are aware of it, hopefully a new firmware upgrade will address this.

I will try to update on my trashcan, see what happens. Will let you know.

Pradeep

K-H, I just updated the firmware on both the A7RII and the A9 on my trashcan. It is still on Yosemite as I usually run one version behind - partly from laziness and partly from caution I guess:)

I tried it initially from the USB hub and it wouldn't recognize the camera although the little yellow light did come on when the cable was connected.

So I plugged the cable into the trashcan directly into one of the USB ports and it worked. I used the original Sony cable that comes with the camera as some people have found other cables do not work (I see nothing special about this one but played it safe).

what is annoying is the time it took. Over 15 minutes for the A7RII and over 11 minutes for the A9. At one point with the A9 (I started with it first), I thought it was stuck and I was in trouble since nothing happened for several minutes the progress bar seemed to be stationary. Then it picked up.

With the A7RII, even after clicking on 'Finish' in the updater software, ejecting the camera and turning it off, for over a minute the screen remained on with the message 'Please wait, retrieving data'. I thought Oh boy, something must have messed up. But happy to report all is well and the camera now reports version 4.00

what a pain, but I do believe it will be worth it.

Knorp

My iMac is on the latest Sierra version 10.12.5, and although it took ages for the update to complete, all went smooth.
The update file is quite huge and Sony does warn us that it will take 15 minutes or so.
But admittedly it's a nerve-racking journey.
Best thing to do is to make yourself a cup of coffee and sandwich or take the dog out for a walk ...

k-hawinkler

My iMac is on the latest Sierra version 10.12.5, and although it took ages for the update to complete, all went smooth.
The update file is quite huge and Sony does warn us that it will take 15 minutes or so.
But admittedly it's a nerve-racking journey.
Best thing to do is to make yourself a cup of coffee and sandwich or take the dog out for a walk ...
Many thanks Bart. That's very interesting.

On my trashcan computer with macOS Sierra the Sony firmware updater never recognized any of the cameras and listed the steps I had to take to start over. I always plug the Sony USB cable (in this case the one that came with the A9) directly into the computer.

No such problem on my Mac Book Pro. It recognized each camera right away and started the lengthy download process showing the slowly increasing green progress bar. Of course, I got another cup of coffee.

After completing my cameras have the correct firmware version numbers.

Maybe I have too many cables plugged into mu trashcan. No free slot left. :banghead:

Thanks again Bart for the feedback.

Pradeep

Maybe I have too many cables plugged into mu trashcan. No free slot left. :banghead:
Same here. The thing is like a rat's nest. I have two additional USB hubs connected to the trashcan!

What is interesting is that when I try to calibrate my NEC monitors, plugging directly into the computer only recognizes one of them, not both, I have to go through a hub for the second one! Not been able to figure that one out.

iiiNelson

Just think about it, Pradeep. At least 8 cores for what? :facesmack:
People (myself included) don't buy Macs solely for the hardware. I'd venture to say most buy them so that they don't have to use Windows. Well that's my experience anyway. The only Microsoft products in our place are the Xbox and my wife's Surface Pro. I use(d) Windows PC for the day job but not by choice. I just don't care for the OS when using a computer personally though I think the Surface line is interesting.

V

Vivek

I started with a Macintosh! I am system agnostic. Use all platforms.

iiiNelson

I started with a Macintosh! I am system agnostic. Use all platforms.
I started on Apple II series computers but was very hardcore windows until the abomination that was Windows ME. Vista, 7, and 8 were huge improvements (but I hated the original UI of 8) and 10 sorta got it right again but I can't see myself buying non-Apple computers for personal/artistic use realistically.