The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS @ ISO 2000, f/2.8, 1/100s, Silent shutter, Eye-AF on Focus Hold button of the lens. :grin:

k-hawinkler

Smoke from the El Cajete Fire, yesterday afternoon.

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS @ 70mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/320s, silent shutter.

k-hawinkler

I was shooting the TAP FW5.0 today on Sony ILCE-9 FW1.01, focusing was great with AF-C H Flexible Spot S.

Sony ILCE-9 + TAP + NOVOFLEX LEM/LER + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4.0 @ 70mm, ISO 160, f/4, 1/2000s, 2600x1463 crop.

However whenever I switched the A9 OFF and then ON, the TAP went dead. All I had to do for it to get back alive was to loosen and re-attach the TAP to the A9.

K-H.

Knorp

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS @ ISO 800, f/3.2, 1/2000s.
Really - shooting hummingbirds with a macro lens: it shouldn't get weirder than this, K-H :grin:
Perhaps you can mount a camera in the feeder ?

Anyway, very much enjoying your 'hummer' images ... :thumbs:

All the best.

k-hawinkler

Really - shooting hummingbirds with a macro lens: it shouldn't get weirder than this, K-H :grin:
Perhaps you can mount a camera in the feeder ?

Anyway, very much enjoying your 'hummer' images ... :thumbs:

All the best.
Thanks Bart, as always your feedback is much appreciated. I have also used extension rings for HIFs, but I wasn't the first one to do that. :loco:

My FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS lens is incredibly sharp. I liked it a lot already on the A7rII and even the A7r, as it gave image stabilization to the latter. With the A9's lightning fast focusing and 20 fps ( or actually 15 fps for this particular lens https://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56138-a7r-a7r2-why-im-keeping-both-34.html#post731258 ) shooting, that lens is particularly useful on that camera. The challenge is to point the small focusing rectangle of the camera onto the tiny eye of a Hummingbird and press the shutter button before the Hummer moves on. Then wait for the next one to show up. They often perch on tree branches nearby to look out for other Hummers to attack them. Hummers are quite territorial.

BTW the Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4.0 happens also to be a macro lens. One has to push in a small shiny button and turn the focal length ring to access that feature. Setting focus distance as close as possible and using the TAP not only does AF of a manual only lens, but also lets you get closer than the MFD of the lens because of the focusing coil of 4.5mm of the TAP. I have shot some flowers that way that were blowing around in the wind.

The image above in https://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56138-a7r-a7r2-why-im-keeping-both-43.html#post732868 is part of a longer sequence of maybe 20 or 30 images, taken with the TAP on A9, that are in focus. Simply awesome. I may have used focus tracking for that. Of course, if your initial pointing is off, you may have wasted quite a few images. But no tear and wear with the silent/electronic shutter. Just a lot of images to delete in post. In a one hour shooting session one can easily accumulate 500 to 1000 images and only keep a handful or two. Easy come, not so easy go. :banghead:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

K-H, the A9 hummingbird captures are fantastic.
Many thanks Craig for your feedback, much appreciated.
The Hummers don't seem to be too intimidated by a MACRO lens a foot or two away from them.
They are keeping busy avoiding bees, wasps, and such.
By the end of the summer they also have to avoid Praying Mantises, as we found out in the past.

k-hawinkler

Pretty cool stuff.

Sony NPA-MQZ1K Multi Battery Adapter Kit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FWOyUO6zaU

This device charges 4 batteries, or uses them to supply power to devices, such as cameras (A9, A7rII, a6300, ...), iPhones, iPads, etc.
So I have a total of 6 batteries, 2 in the camera battery holder and 4 in this kit.

I have shot several thousand images on one battery that was still way over 50% charged. :grin:
So lack of battery power isn't a thing I lose sleep over! :LOL:

k-hawinkler

Today, so far no luck with Hummers - too many Bees!

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS @ ISO 640, f/5.6, 1/1000s.

Bart, a macro lens can be handy - not just for HIFs. :thumbs: :clap: :grin:

k-hawinkler

Today, so far no luck with Hummers - too many Ants!

:watch:

Many thanks Bart. You are making my point about the hierarchy of the

Hummingbirds - Bees, Yellowjackets, Hornets - Ants - Praying Mantis

pecking order (or in case of the Mantis being the top of this food chain). :banghead: :shocked: