The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

This Praying Mantis

A7r2 + Leica Telyt-APO-R 280/4

seems to be the very Hummingbird Killer from 3 weeks ago (of course, assumed innocent until proven guilty! :grin:)

A7r2 + FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS

and she is on the prowl again.

It seems to me she is keeping one eye focused on me while looking around with the other for potential prey. :bugeyes:

k-hawinkler

Here is the Leica APO-Telyt-R 280/4 mounted on the A7r2 via a single Novoflex adapter'

However, one can replace the Novoflex NEX/LER adapter with the following two, NEX/LEM and LEM/LER, like this.

The advantage is that one now can use the very old Leitz OUFRO/16469 extension rings between the two adapters like this, ...

1 OUFRO/16469 ring

3 OUFRO/16469 rings

6 OUFRO/16469 rings

12 OUFRO/16469 rings

A7r + FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS

... shorten the close focus distance a bit and basically turn the 280/4 into something like a macro lens. :D

Each ring adds 10 mm.

k-hawinkler

It turns out the 12 ring configuration is particularly convenient to take pictures of black ants that are only, my guess, about 2 mm long. :shocked:

100% resolution crop

50% resolution crop

A7r2 + 12x OUFRO Rings + APO-Telyt-R 280/4 (and adapters of course :grin: )

k-hawinkler

So I was curious whether I could use the 12 OUFRO ring configuration to take a portrait shot of the killer Mantis.
This is the result.

100% resolution crop

A7r + 12x OUFRO Rings + APO-Telyt-R 280/4

This image certainly suggests that the Mantis can move her eyes independently, like a chameleon for example.
It's a bit of a challenge to get this shot with manual focus as the Mantis on the feeder is blown around by the wind and shot wide open the 12 ring configuration has a pretty narrow DoF. :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:
She also seems to have some powerful tools attached to her mouth to gobble up her victims. :scry:

Knorp

So this is were the world's remaining OUFRO rings went ... :grin:
But good fun as it is, it seems rather over-the-top to me, K-H :lecture:
What about a bellows ?

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

UuI
It will not be very kind to the plastic mount of the A7r. :shocked:

Have you tried adding extension (electrically connected) to your 90/2.8, K-H?
Thanks Vivek. Great points. Let me address your 2 points separately.

To your first point: In the above setup the plastic mount only has to hold the weight of the A7r and, as you know, the 280/4 is manual focus only anyway.

To your second point: Yes, I have. With the 90/2.8 lens I am using the same electrically connected extension rings that Guy Mancuso has recommended (Many thanks Guy!). They work great on the A7r/2 with AF and OSS/IBIS and one can get extremely close to a subject.

However, the Praying Mantis is very finicky about if one gets too close and immediately abandons her hunt and climbs back into the tree above, hiding among the leaves of the Acacia tree.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Last night's Moon http://www.space.com/30480-rare-super-harvest-blood-moon-to-shine-on-september-27-2015-video.html, quote:

"Rare 'Super-Harvest Blood Moon' To Shine On September 27, 2015
The moon will pass into Earth’s shadow producing a total lunar eclipse during the "Supermoon" – a time when the full moon occurs "at or near its closest approach to Earth in a given orbit," according to NASA.
Because this full moon happens on the night of the autumnal equinox (9-27-2015), it is also known as the Harvest Moon. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
"

100% resolution crop

Sony A7r2 + FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS @ ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/5 s, M, Live View Display/Setting Effect OFF, AWB, AF-S, Flexible Spot: S, Optical Steady Shot ON, handheld, processed in C1.

Very easy to see - Display/Setting Effect OFF - and focus - AF-S, Flexible Spot: S.

k-hawinkler

A large Kiva at Bandelier.

A7r2 + Leica WATE 16-18-21/4 @ 16 mm

Bandelier National Monument seems to be a perfect place to visit with an UWA lens, like the Leica WATE16-18-21/4, and a high resolution camera, such as the Sony A7r2 with 42 MP.