The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Here is an example with weird reflections. Full image, reduced in size.

And a crop

A7r2 + Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4

Mark Muse

Hi, I appreciate your experience and opinions concerning the A7R2.

But now I would like to ask the forum, if anyone of you has experience,
using the Hasselblad / Zeiss CF-Lenses attached to the A7R2.

I would use my Novoflex E-Lens adapter.

Thank you for your reply.

Rudiger
I acquired several Hassi F and FE lenses to use on a Mirex TS adapter on a Nikon 800e. I wanted the F series because they do not have a shutter (less weight), and because there was no leaf shutter they could have larger max apertures. I have the 80/2.8 F, 150/2.8 FE (I think it is 2.8, haven't used in a while), and 250/4 F (Teletessar). The character of each is certainly preserved on these smaller formats.

I have only used the 80 F on the Sony's, adapting the Mirex via Novoflex to e mount. A first impression might be that it is not very sharp, but it has a smoothness that is really delightful. And it is certainly sharp enough for me.

The 150 FE, at least on the 800e, is more typical modern Zeiss.

The 250 F is a Teletessar, which is an old design, and by recollection its age shows in aberrations.

Here are a couple of links to images from the 80:
http://markmusephotographs.com/wordpress/2013/12/10/clifton-forge/
http://markmusephotographs.com/wordpress/2013/12/01/aleksa/

One from the 150:
http://markmusephotographs.com/wordpress/2012/11/19/new-creek-mountain-and-north-fork-gap/

From the 250:
http://markmusephotographs.com/wordpress/2013/12/29/hairy-river/
http://markmusephotographs.com/wordpress/2014/01/20/across-the-river/

k-hawinkler

Hiep (alias hiepphotog) and I compared infinity corner performance for a number of lenses on a Stock A7r2 and a Kolari modified A7r2.
In the A7r2.Kolari.mod the sensor cover glass was replaced with a thinner one that was also treated against moisture.
I am now waiting for the 3-rd generation modification that hopefully also includes anti-reflection coating additionally.

Our results are posted here Kolari Mod's Improvements: A Summary of Tests - FM Forums
starting at p.3 #3 · Kolari Mod's Improvements: A Summary of Tests
for the following M lenses.

ZEISS Distagon 2,8/15 ZM • Lens seems better in the corner on the A7r2.Kolari.mod than on the M9 - but need to verify.
LEICA TRI-ELMAR-M 1:4/16-18-21 APH. • A7r2.Kolari.mod slightly improved over Stock A7r2 for all focal lengths.
LEICA ELMARIT-M 1'2.8/21 ASPH. E 55 • Surprise. Lens seems fully usable WO on A7r2.Kolari.mod, slight residual field curvature remains though.
LEICA SUMMICRON-M 1:2/28 ASPH. E 46 • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA ELMARIT-M 1:2.8 ASPH. E 39 • Sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 ZM • Extremely sharp at f/5.6 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA SUMMILUX-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. E 46 (non-FLE) • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA SUMMICRON-M 1:2/35 ASPH. E 39 • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA SUMMILUX-M 1:1.4/50 ASPH. E 46 • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA APO-SUMMICRON-M 1:2/50 ASPH. • Best at f/5.6 to f/11 on A7r2.Kolari.mod, minimall (insignificant?) improvement over Stock A7r2.
LEICA SUMMICRON-M 1:2/50 E 39 • Very sharp at f/5.6 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar Summicron f = 5 cm 1:2 (Rigid Summicron) • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA ELMAR-M 1:2.8/50 E 39 (Collapsible) • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEITZ CANADA ELMAR 1:3.5/65 (Visoflex) • Very soft - had CLA done, but wonder whether the lens was assembled correctly? I doubt it! :shocked:
LEICA APO-SUMMICRON-M 1:2/75 ASPH. E 49 • Best at f/5.6 to f/11 on A7r2.Kolari.mod, minimal (insignificant?) improvement over Stock A7r2.

LEITZ CANADA SUMMICRON 1:2/90 • No discernable degradation of Stock A7r2 relative to Kolari modified A7r2
LEICA ELMARIT-M 1'2.8/90 E 46 • No discernable degradation of Stock A7r2 relative to Kolari modified A7r2
LEITZ WETZLAR ELMARIT 1:2.8/90 • No discernable degradation of Stock A7r2 relative to Kolari modified A7r2
LEITZ LENS MADE IN CANADA TELE-ELMARIT-M 1:2.8/90 • No discernable degradation of Stock A7r2 relative to Kolari modified A7r2
LEITZ WETZLAR TELE-ELMAR 1:4/135 • No discernable degradation of Stock A7r2 relative to Kolari modified A7r2

We also compared a number of FE lenses. Here are our conclusions Kolari Mod's Improvements: A Summary of Tests - FM Forums
starting at p.4 #17 · Kolari Mod's Improvements: A Summary of Tests
for the following FE lenses.

ZEISS SONY • Carl Zeiss Sonnar FE 2,8/35 ZA 49/0,35m/1,15ft (Zony) • Stock A7r2 extremely sharp at f/4, minimal (insignificant?) degradation for A7r2.Kolari.mod in far corner.
MITAKON ZHONGYI SPEEDMASTER 0.95/50MM M67 Version 2 • Stock A7r2 sharp at f/8. A7r2.Kolari.mod slightly better?
ZEISS SONY • Carl Zeiss Sonnar FE 1,8/55 ZA 49/0,50m/1,64ft (Zony) • Stock A7r2 sharp at f/5.6. Slight degradation for A7r2.Kolari.mod in far corner.
SONY FE 2.8/90 MACRO G OSS 62/0.28m/0.92ft • Stock A7r2 sharp at f/5.6. Minimal (insignificant?) degradation for A7r2.Kolari.mod in far corner.

We also compared these R lenses.

LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 1:2,8-4.5/28-90 ASPH. E67
LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 1:4/35-70 E60
LEICA SUMMILUX-R 1:1.4/80 E67
LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 1:4/80-200 E60
LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 1:4.2/105-280 E77
LEITZ APO-TELYT-R 3.4/180 E60
LEICA APO-TELYT-R 1:4/280

They should be usable just fine on either Stock A7r2 or Kolari modified A7r2.

Last edited:

Annna T

"Hiep (alias hiepphotog) and I compared infinity corner performance for a number of lenses on a stock A7r2 and a Kolari modified A7r2.
In the A7r2.Kolari.mod the sensor cover glass was replaced with a thinner one that was also treated against moisture.
I am now waiting for the 3-rd generation modification that hopefully also includes anti-reflection coating additionally."

Wow ! Thanks for sharing, lot of work there and quite a reference ! You should also post that in the appropriate sticky thread concerning the use of Leica lenses.

I have just sold my Summilux 50mm F1.4, but have no regrets giving your results.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Here is an example with weird reflections. Full image, reduced in size.

And a crop

A7r2 + Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4

I just noticed that this filter was mounted: LEICA E67 UVa 13386 :banghead:
Such a flat piece of glass upfront certainly could be responsible for those ugly reflections. :grin:
I will have to repeat this shot without a filter. :eek:
Sorry. The filter came with the lens. I noticed that but didn't give it temporarily any further thought. :facesmack:

V

Vivek

K-H, Thanks for posting the results from your testing. :)

It is clear that the Kolari mod is useless for me.

V

Vivek

Sure Vivek, if the corners don't matter, I agree.
Unless I am reading it incorrectly, except for these (and a couple of old lenses):

LEICA ELMARIT-M 1'2.8/21 ASPH. E 55 • Surprise. Lens seems fully usable WO on A7r2.Kolari.mod, slight residual field curvature remains though.
LEICA SUMMICRON-M 1:2/28 ASPH. E 46 • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA ELMARIT-M 1:2.8 ASPH. E 39 • Sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 ZM • Extremely sharp at f/5.6 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA SUMMILUX-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. E 46 (non-FLE) • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA SUMMICRON-M 1:2/35 ASPH. E 39 • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
LEICA SUMMILUX-M 1:1.4/50 ASPH. E 46 • Very sharp at f/8 on A7r2.Kolari.mod. Stock A7r2 can't catch up.
and that too at f/8, Kolari mod works. Why would I want an f1.4 lens that is very sharp at f/8 (ie way past diffraction)? :confused:
(Better to sell these off and switch to better lenses?)

It is actually worse for the system lenses as I read it, no?

k-hawinkler

Unless I am reading it incorrectly, except for these (and a couple of old lenses):

and that too at f/8, Kolari mod works. Why would I want an f1.4 lens that is very sharp at f/8 (ie way past diffraction)? :confused:
(Better to sell these off and switch to better lenses?)

It is actually worse for the system lenses as I read it, no?

We are only discussing far or extreme corners here at infinity, Vivek.
The main areas of the images are fine, either way.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Two Views from Yesterday's Morning Walk.

Sony A7r2 + Leica Elmar-M 50/2.8 (collapsible), focus at infinity, the bottom of the images not within DoF. :grin:

k-hawinkler

I just noticed that this filter was mounted: LEICA E67 UVa 13386 :banghead:
Such a flat piece of glass upfront certainly could be responsible for those ugly reflections. :grin:
I will have to repeat this shot without a filter. :eek:
Sorry. The filter came with the lens. I noticed that but didn't give it temporarily any further thought. :facesmack:
Indeed, these kinds of reflections/flare were caused by the filter.
However, that doesn't imply that the 80/1.4 lens doesn't flare at all.
Here is an example.

A7r2 + Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4, no filter

k-hawinkler

Whereas the Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 was the first Nikon lens with an aspherical element, the AF NIKKOR 28/1.4 D was the second IIRC.

A7r2 + AF NIKKOR 28/1.4 D

k-hawinkler

A paper about the development of the Noct-NIKKOR.

NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights: Tale 16: - An aspherical surface got over sagittal coma flare - AI Noct Nikkor 58mm F1.2 by OHSHITA, Kouichi

BTW, my lens is the Ai-S version that was modified in 1982 from the 1977 Ai design.
The 1982 version has 9 aperture blades (Yup, I counted them), the 1977 version has 7.

Nikon 58mm f/1.2 Noct-NIKKOR

Other Nikon papers can be found here: The Thousand and One Nights | NIKKOR

including this one.

NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights: Tale 28: - An lens inheriting the concept of the Noct NIKKOR - Ai AF Nikkor 28mm F1.4D by OHSHITA, Kouichi

Last edited: