The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

(Note to myself, keeping track of my images)
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-941.html#post704196
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-941.html#post704208

Update to the sad news about a female park visitor who died in Bandelier National Monument after being struck by a falling tree.
(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56138-a7r-a7r2-why-im-keeping-both-28.html#post706657)

Park officials decline to name hiker killed by tree
(Park officials decline to name hiker killed by tree | LAMonitor.com)

By Tris DeRoma
Friday, October 7, 2016 at 10:33 am

National Park Service officials declined to release the identity this week of a female hiker who was killed by a falling tree at Bandelier National Monument Monday.
“I cannot release anything pertinent to the victim or the victim’s family,” said Chief Ranger Dennis Milligan. “The woman was standing near her vehicle when the tree fell and struck her.
The incident happened around 2:30 p.m. in the parking lot of the Frey Trailhead. The woman was not wearing headphones or any other device that may have prevented her from being aware of her surroundings, officials said
Park officials reported Wednesday that normal protocols were followed after the incident, including safety checks of the surrounding trees. The park is always checking for unsafe trees.
“We have a program that does that year round, so it doesn’t particularly change our response after it happens,” Milligan said. “The odds of someone getting hit by a tree is highly unlikely.”
The tree that struck the victim was a live, green Ponderosa that snapped.
Milligan said he could not recall any other times when someone died from being hit by a tree at the park. He said the last death that occurred within the park happened around a year and half ago.
At around 10 p.m. Aug. 18, 2014, a 39-year-old Los Alamos man died in a single car crash near mile marker 49 on N.M. 4. The victim, Trent Johnson, was driving his car along the road and lost control. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Bandelier rangers were also involved since the car landed inside the boundaries of Bandelier National Monument.

img_2137.jpg Tris DeRoma/Monitor
A female hiker was standing near her vehicle in this parking lot Monday when she was struck by a falling tree and killed

img_2161.jpg
Tris DeRoma/Monitor
A safety crew worked to take down a hazardous tree branch Wednesday at the Bandelier Monument headquarters. A woman was killed Monday at the Frey Trailhead by a falling tree.

Below is my photograph of the
parking lot of the Frey Trailhead, taken yesterday, 2016.10.07.

I used to park my car a number of times in the nearest spot to the right in the above picture.

Following is a close up shot of that very parking spot.

One can see a freshly cut tree stump down to the right and a lot of fresh mulch. To the left is a paper wrapped flower with a card on the curb, weight down by some stones.

The view of the tree stump from down there is like this.

A couple weeks ago, on 2016.09.18, the view was like this.

You can see my car parked in the spot behind that tree.

It seems to me this is the live, green Ponderosa tree that fell on the unfortunate woman.
I feel lucky that the tree didn't fall down on me or my wife when we were there.

Our condolences to the loved ones.

Last edited:

The Ute

(Note to myself, keeping track of my images)
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-941.html#post704196
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-941.html#post704208

Update to the sad news about a female park visitor who died in Bandelier National Monument after being struck by a falling tree.
(http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56138-a7r-a7r2-why-im-keeping-both-28.html#post706657)

Park officials decline to name hiker killed by tree
(http://www.lamonitor.com/content/park-officials-decline-name-hiker-killed-tree)

By Tris DeRoma
Friday, October 7, 2016 at 10:33 am

National Park Service officials declined to release the identity this week of a female hiker who was killed by a falling tree at Bandelier National Monument Monday.
“I cannot release anything pertinent to the victim or the victim’s family,” said Chief Ranger Dennis Milligan. “The woman was standing near her vehicle when the tree fell and struck her.
The incident happened around 2:30 p.m. in the parking lot of the Frey Trailhead. The woman was not wearing headphones or any other device that may have prevented her from being aware of her surroundings, officials said
Park officials reported Wednesday that normal protocols were followed after the incident, including safety checks of the surrounding trees. The park is always checking for unsafe trees.
“We have a program that does that year round, so it doesn’t particularly change our response after it happens,” Milligan said. “The odds of someone getting hit by a tree is highly unlikely.”
The tree that struck the victim was a live, green Ponderosa that snapped.
Milligan said he could not recall any other times when someone died from being hit by a tree at the park. He said the last death that occurred within the park happened around a year and half ago.
At around 10 p.m. Aug. 18, 2014, a 39-year-old Los Alamos man died in a single car crash near mile marker 49 on N.M. 4. The victim, Trent Johnson, was driving his car along the road and lost control. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Bandelier rangers were also involved since the car landed inside the boundaries of Bandelier National Monument.

img_2137.jpg Tris DeRoma/Monitor
A female hiker was standing near her vehicle in this parking lot Monday when she was struck by a falling tree and killed

img_2161.jpg
Tris DeRoma/Monitor
A safety crew worked to take down a hazardous tree branch Wednesday at the Bandelier Monument headquarters. A woman was killed Monday at the Frey Trailhead by a falling tree.

Below is my photograph of the
parking lot of the Frey Trailhead, taken yesterday, 2016.10.07.

I used to park my car a number of times in the nearest spot to the right in the above picture.

Following is a close up shot of that very parking spot.

One can see a freshly cut tree stump down to the right and a lot of fresh mulch. To the left is a paper wrapped flower with a card on the curb, weight down by some stones.

The view of the tree stump from down there is like this.

A couple weeks ago, on 2016.09.18, the view was like this.

You can see my car parked in the spot behind that tree.

It seems to me this is the live, green Ponderosa tree that fell on the unfortunate woman.
I feel lucky that the tree didn't fall down on me or my wife when we were there.

Our condolences to the love ones.
Same here.
Just awful.
It just illustrates to me once again that when your number is up it's up.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Bart.

Yup, and my NEX-5N and NEX-7, in addition to my A7r and A7r2.
I bought the a6300 in June, should have waited for the a6500 with IBIS. :facesmack:
But I have several E and FE lenses with OSS, so with image stabilization, that I can also use on my Sony APS-C cameras. So, I'll probably skip the a6500.
I wish there were equally good eye-pieces available for the APS-C cameras as I have on my A7r/2 cameras. That would help a lot.

The A7r2 is currently my favorite Sony camera, but I am hoping that a significantly improved follow-on FF camera will be available soon. Most important for me would be a speed improvement, similarly to the much faster autofocus of the a6300 over the NEX-7, both having 24 MP. I also would welcome more pixels of such an FF camera to permit more extensive cropping of images. When walking around I typically have a prime lens on the camera, no other lenses with me, so I can focus on the particular focal length chosen. However, sometimes an opportunity develops for a longer focal length that I don't have with me, so cropping to the rescue within reason.

I also would expect such an A7r3, similarly to the A7r2 and a6300, to support the TechArt Pro (TAP) adapter. For portrait shots I like to use my Summilux-R 80/1.4 or Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 with autofocus on the nearest eye, pretty much wide open, unless I use the FE 90/2.8 G OSS with Eye-AF. :grin:

But my next camera will likely be the Olympus E-M1.2 to complement my E-M1/5/5.2 and their fabulous lenses. But that's another topic. :watch:

k-hawinkler

Hmm, I have several TAP autofocus adapters and upgraded their firmware to vers. 05 on all of them without a problem. :grin:
Interestingly the oldest TAP adapter can't mechanically move the lens out and in anymore. But the electronics seem fine. :banghead:
Using an ultra wide angle lens almost all is in focus anyway and one can take pictures with that faulty adapter, if necessary using manual focusing. :facesmack:

Here is one of the first images I ever took with that now broken adapter. :grin:

la CHOZA restaurant in Santa FE, NM.

Knorp

Hmm, I have several TAP autofocus adapters and upgraded their firmware to vers. 05 on all of them without a problem. :grin:
Interestingly the oldest TAP adapter can't mechanically move the lens out and in anymore. But the electronics seem fine. :banghead:
Using an ultra wide angle lens almost all is in focus anyway and one can take pictures with that faulty adapter, if necessary using manual focusing. :facesmack:
Hi K-H,

interesting that you've got several TAP adapters.
Did you notice any difference between them IRT construction and operation ?

Mine seems to have developed a fair bit of play ... :(

TIA

k-hawinkler

Hi K-H,

interesting that you've got several TAP adapters.
Did you notice any difference between them IRT construction and operation ?

Mine seems to have developed a fair bit of play ... :(

TIA

Thanks Bart. No, I have not noticed any significant differences with regards to construction and operation.
After extended use I wouldn't characterize it as a fair bit of play having developed.

My observation is that a particularly heavy lens can sag a bit by pulling out the top of the adapter lens mount more than the bottom.
So the lens is ever so slightly pointing downward. In that case it helps to support the front of the lens to prevent the sagging.

I had one mishap and the camera with another adapter and lens mounted fell unfortunately from my desk onto a wooden floor.
The front of the lens hit the floor first at such an angle that it bend the upper part of the adapter lens mount forward so that it sticks out a bit at the top. :banghead:
Camera and lens seem fine. Even the adapter still works by automatically focusing a lens.
However I noticed that, because of the forward protruding of the upper part of the adapter, lens and adapter combined are slightly too long and cannot reach infinity focus anymore.
I also assume that the plane of focus is tilted by this, so I stopped using this particular TAP adapter. Oh well, I consider this expense as an investment in my continuing education. :facesmack:

Knorp

Thanks Bart. No, I have not noticed any significant differences with regards to construction and operation.
After extended use I wouldn't characterize it as a fair bit of play having developed.

My observation is that a particularly heavy lens can sag a bit by pulling out the top of the adapter lens mount more than the bottom.
So the lens is ever so slightly pointing downward. In that case it helps to support the front of the lens to prevent the sagging.

I had one mishap and the camera with another adapter and lens mounted fell unfortunately from my desk onto a wooden floor.
The front of the lens hit the floor first at such an angle that it bend the upper part of the adapter lens mount forward so that it sticks out a bit at the top. :banghead:
Camera and lens seem fine. Even the adapter still works by automatically focusing a lens.
However I noticed that, because of the forward protruding of the upper part of the adapter, lens and adapter combined are slightly too long and cannot reach infinity focus anymore.
I also assume that the plane of focus is tilted by this, so I stopped using this particular TAP adapter. Oh well, I consider this expense as an investment in my continuing education. :facesmack:
Thank you, K-H.
Of course, you can hand support the lens, but with play in the adapter I'd say it's unlikely you can keep it flush ... :confused:

Knorp

Coming back to my long time frustration with the TAP adapter: setting it to 135mm.

Just revisited the FAQ page and found this . . .

How do I configure the focal length of the lens so it is correctly recorded in the EXIF data?
If the Techart PRO is used as shipped from the factory, a focal length of 15mm will be recorded in the EXIF. The Techart PRO can store up to ten focal lengths, with the default settings as follows.

• F11: 15mm
  • F13: 18mm
  • F14: 21mm
  • F16: 24mm
  • F18: 25mm
  • F20: 28mm
  • F22: 35mm
  • F25: 50mm
  • F29: 90mm
  • F32: 135mm (MF only)

Note that the default setting F32 for a 135mm lens switches the Techart PRO into Manual Focus mode. There seems to be general agreement amongst FM members that this was a poor choice by the Techart engineers. Firstly, because alternating between AF and MF is best achieved by setting a Custom Button on the camera for AF/MF Toggle. Secondly, because AF is just as desirable for 135mm lenses as for other focal lengths. However, this default setting for the 135mm focal length can be modified via the LM-EA7-CONFIG app.
:cussing: Grrrr ... :banghead:

Knorp

We have to be cautious, K-H !
If we keep head banging this way, we'll end up with a tremendous headache ... :lecture:

:ROTFL:

k-hawinkler

April 29, almost May Snow.
It started snowing between 5 and 6 AM this morning.
At around 9 AM it looked like this. The view from our Bedroom.

A7r.2 + Batis 25/2.0 FE.

k-hawinkler

April 29, almost May Snow.
It started snowing between 5 and 6 AM this morning.
At around 9 AM it looked like this. The view from our Bedroom.

A7r.2 + Batis 25/2.0 FE.
Somehow smugmug seems to have had technical problems when I tried to post this image. So another try! :facesmack:

A7r.2 + Batis 25/2.0 FE.

k-hawinkler

Yesterday's view from the family room.

And here is the same view from today, merely a day layer.

A7r.2 + Batis 25/2.0 FE