The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre. What do you like about the 25 Batis?
Everything except that it isn't great for IR due to hotspots. Great and quick as an autofocus lens for stills and video. Sharp across the frame. Focuses as close as 8 inches. Wide aperture.

Knorp

Thanks Bart. Do you like these ring flares?
Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread - FM Forums.
I don't.

I don't like the curved Sunstar rays of the CV10, 12, and 15 either.
Fo you remember those images?
Yes, I do remember those curved rays: found them rather amusing ... :)

But got to agree those ring flares are worrying.
I've set my hopes on the A20/1.4 - to be delivered anytime soon to my doorstep - this year hopefully ... :banghead:

k-hawinkler

Yes, I do remember those curved rays: found them rather amusing ... :)

But got to agree those ring flares are worrying.
I've set my hopes on the A20/1.4 - to be delivered anytime soon to my doorstep - this year hopefully ... :banghead:
Thanks Bart. Which lens is that A20/1.4?

Following are measurements by Jim Kasson on the FE 12-24/4:

Sony 12-24/4 on a7RII at 18 mm
Sony 12-24/4 on a7RII at 12 & 24 mm
Sony 12-24/4 on a7RII — distortion
Sony 12-24/4 FE on Sony a7RII — corner color casting
Sony 12-24, Batis 18, & WATE on a7RII
http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-12-24-f4-fe-on-a7rii-flare/ Sony 12-24 f/4 FE on a7RII — flare
http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-12-24-f4-fe-on-a7rii-more-flare/ Sony 12-24 f/4 FE on a7RII — more flare
http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-12-24-f4-oof-psfs/ Sony 12-24 f/4 OOF PSFs

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I'm curious as to how much of an issue focus shift actually becomes for autofocus lenses on an autofocus camera... I understood the ramifications on a rangefinder system such as a Zeiss Ikon or Leica M (or any non-TTL focusing system) but isn't it easy to half press the shutter or back button focus after recompose? Seems like this part of a review become talking points for conjecture so that people don't buy a said lens...

k-hawinkler

Tre, I may be mistaken. But wasn't there quite a discussion that these cameras had a problem focusing stopped way down.
The solution was to focus fast lenses, say at f/2, then automatically stopping down to the intended f-number.
For this kind of situation focus shift matters, mainly for fast lenses.
I think Sony had some fast lenses focusing stopped down that didn't work too well in low light.

iiiNelson

Tre, I may be mistaken. But wasn't there quite a discussion that these cameras had a problem focusing stopped way down.
The solution was to focus fast lenses, say at f/2, then automatically stopping down to the intended f-number.
For this kind of situation focus shift matters, mainly for fast lenses.
I think Sony had some fast lenses focusing stopped down that didn't work too well in low light.
That may be... If so I missed the discussion. I guess the next question is if focus assist would help any.

k-hawinkler

Camp May - Los Alamos County, NM

Sony ILCE-9 + Voigtländer 10mm/F5.6 Hyper Wide Heliar @ ISO 100, f/9, 1/40s

Same location, shot with DJI Mavic Pro. The spellchecker insists on Magic Pro. It has a point! :LOL:

DJI FC220, ISO 100, FOCAL LENGTH 4.7 mm (26.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/2.2, EXPOSURE TIME0.00104s (1/965)

k-hawinkler

On ground level it looks okay-ish, but from the air ... :shocked:

Thanks Bart. Well that's nature for you.
After a decade of drought the beetles finish off the dying or dead trees.
Also, this area is surrounded by about a quarter million acres, devastated by forest fires.
It will take about 150 years to get the forest splendor back. :watch:

One more from the Mavic Pro.

BTW, up here folks have bear bells and pepper spray, in prime black bear and cougar country. I am sure some folks carry guns. You can in the National Forests, but not in the National Monuments or Parks.

Last edited:

Knorp

BTW, up here folks have bear bells and pepper spray, in prime black bear and cougar country. I am sure some folks carry guns. You can in the National Forests, but not in the National Monuments or Parks.
From my 'Karl May' period I recall black bears were just some kind of large teddy bears.
It were the grizzlies that were highly valued for their fangs, nails and indeed the claws for eating and you had to fight them with a knife.
But hey - all campfire stories made-up by some writer ... :)

k-hawinkler

Mmmmm bear paw stew...
Thanks Tre. A friend of mine in Los Alamos has a video camera monitoring what happens outside his front door. Well on 2017.06.27 around 8 PM his video shows a single bear walking right by his front door. Obviously the bear had the neighborhood exited. :grin:

k-hawinkler

From my 'Karl May' period I recall black bears were just some kind of large teddy bears.
It were the grizzlies that were highly valued for their fangs, nails and indeed the claws for eating and you had to fight them with a knife.
But hey - all campfire stories made-up by some writer ... :)
Ah 'Karl May'. He certainly had a vivid imagination.
Bart, how many of his books did you read?
I must have read somewhere between 20 and 30.
Checked out most of them from the village library.
Did you read his books in German or Dutch or another language?
I think over here in the States he is pretty much unknown.

k-hawinkler

Some time ago I tried to figure out whether my FE 90/2.8 lens on A7rII was any good.
So I shot the screen door at different apertures. :grin:
The image sequence looked kind of cute to me when flipping through it, one image on top of another. Here it is.

f/2.8

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

f/11

f/16

f/22

Knorp

Ah 'Karl May'. He certainly had a vivid imagination.
Bart, how many of his books did you read?
I must have read somewhere between 20 and 30.
Checked out most of them from the village library.
Did you read his books in German or Dutch or another language?
I think over here in the States he is pretty much unknown.
Read the complete Winnetou and Old Shatterhand series but for 'the death of Winnetou'. I guess I didn't like the ring of that title at all ... :eek:
And also a few titles of the Kara Ben Nemsi series.

As I was just Bartje (little Bart) then, it was all Dutch to me ... :loco: :p

k-hawinkler

Read the complete Winnetou and Old Shatterhand series but for 'the death of Winnetou'. I guess I didn't like the ring of that title at all ... :eek:
And also a few titles of the Kara Ben Nemsi series.

As I was just Bartje (little Bart) then, it was all Dutch to me ... :loco: :p
Thanks Bart. Yup, those were the essentials.
With the Kara Ben Nemsi character of course also goes the Hadschi Halef Omar Ben Hadschi Abul Abbas Ibn Hadschi Dawud al Gossarah guy.
Karl May was certainly full of stereotypes. :facesmack:

k-hawinkler

A double rainbow over our backyard, shot by my wife a couple days ago.

Sony ILCE-9 + Voigtländer 10mm/F5.6 Hyper Wide Heliar @ ISO 160, f/7.1, 1/30s.