The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM) @ ISO 6400, FOCAL LENGTH 400.0 mm, APERTURE f/5.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.0004s (1/2500)

doug

Captive-bred Northern Goshawk (used for falconry) showing her siberian heritage, subspecies albicus

a7rII, FE 100-400 GM

doug

a7rII, FD 500mm f/4.5 L
will definitely be interested in an FE 500mm lens especially if it's a GM.

V

Vivek

Shockingly, the EU price fixed by Sony for this lens is quite low, at under 12000€! :bugeyes:

V

Vivek

Considering the US price is US $12,000, it is.

Sony decided to forego the usual EU levy, it looks like!:thumbs:

Pradeep

From what I've read sounds like a great new lens for those into sports. Coupled with the A9, it does make a killer combo.

If they do make a 600 f4 that is considerably lighter than the Canon version, or a 300 2.8 which is again lighter I might just go back on my vow to 'keep things small' :grin:

k-hawinkler

Considering the US price is US $12,000, it is.

Sony decided to forego the usual EU levy, it looks like!:thumbs:
Pre-ordering starts today - what to do? :facesmack:

Sony FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS Lens Review: Lightest, Sharpest & Fastest Focus!
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4295171

SONY FE 400MM F2.8 GM OSS LENS REVIEW: LIGHTEST, SHARPEST & FASTEST FOCUS IN CLASS!
LOVE ITPOSTED BY BRIAN SMITH / 2 COMMENTSTAGS: SONY FE 400MM F2.8 GM OSS, SONY FE LENSES, SONY G MASTER
https://briansmith.com/lens-review-sony-fe-400mm-f2-8-gm-oss/

Pradeep

I've broken my vow already :grin:

Ordered one today. What changed my mind was the fact that apart from the amazing sharpness and better AF then any other big Tele from Canon, it weighs so much less. With the A9 (without grip - I never use one) it comes in a tad less than the 1DX-II plus Canon 400 DO MkII combo that I last used for wildlife.

At 7.9 lbs, this combo is hand-holdable for at least short periods, whereas my old super tele pair - 1DX2 plus 600 MkII - weighed in at 12 lbs and was a back breaker.

Add to this the fact that if I want more reach I can use it with the 1.4X TC and it would still retain the sharpness. The reviews have all been very positive which is a huge factor too.

I bet there will be a great demand for this one.

Knorp

You should ask yourself how do you use your cheap zoom.
If it is the longest reach most of the time, then sell it, pay the difference and get the expensive prime.

YOLO ... :angel:

doug

From what I've read sounds like a great new lens for those into sports. Coupled with the A9, it does make a killer combo.

If they do make a 600 f4 that is considerably lighter than the Canon version, or a 300 2.8 which is again lighter I might just go back on my vow to 'keep things small' :grin:
The schematic drawings of the FE 500/4 and FE 600/4 suggest you'd better keep that credit card warmed up :)

k-hawinkler

You should ask yourself how do you use your cheap zoom.
If it is the longest reach most of the time, then sell it, pay the difference and get the expensive prime.

YOLO ... :angel:
Thanks Bart. I love the gear I have and will keep it.

The only reason keeping me from pre-ordering right now is if there should be initial start-up manufacturing issues. Maybe I worry needlessly.

As I like to shoot in dim light a faster, but still handholdable, lens would be nice. :thumbs: