The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Sony A9 FW 3.10 would not update on Mac Pro trash can, running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6.
The final panel to start the update process never appeared.

I used an 9 year old Mac Book Pro, running Yosemite. No problem.
Interestingly enough updating to FW 3.01 went smoothly on the trash can.
Go figure. :facesmack:

iiiNelson

Sony A9 FW 3.10 would not update on Mac Pro trash can, running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6.

So you’re all set for the 400/2.8 GM now correct?

SrMphoto

I gave up a long time ago using Mac to update my Sony cameras. Have Parallels VM with Windows 10 installed which I use for all my Sony updates.

k-hawinkler

Looking at this list the logical assumption seems to be 4.00 is next ... :loco:
Very funny! :LOL: :ROTFL: :LOL:
Well Bart, it looks like Sony took a page out of Fuji's playbook.
In the past Sony got criticized a lot for not having frequent updates.
For me frequent updates are an indication of Sony's active interest in the A9 line of cameras. All good! :thumbs:

iiiNelson

Very funny! :LOL: :ROTFL: :LOL:
Well Bart, it looks like Sony took a page out of Fuji's playbook.
In the past Sony got criticized a lot for not having frequent updates.
For me frequent updates are an indication of Sony's active interest in the A9 line of cameras. All good! :thumbs:
A lot of that is 100% perception. The A7RII is up to like version 4 of software updates I believe. The A7/R were up to like version 3 I believe... Sony puts out updates but maybe of them are just broad improvements to existing features and speed... or yes “star eater” too.

While Fuji does at times add features - in many cases it’s just to bring their cameras up to the competition that they launch with. For instance the 4K and 1080/120 updates that launched with the Sony A6300/6500 didn’t need updates for those features (though they needed updates to change the temperature threshold for the overheating bugs). Fuji does give nice updates like focus stacking and picture profiles though at times but sometimes they make you buy a new camera for those new film simulations too which is a head scratcher for me personally but I digress.

k-hawinkler

They're quick with a replacement foot. You ordered one too ?

:chug:
Thanks Bart. So far I have ordered neither. :grin:
Simply collecting information and have it handy if/when I need it.

Over at FM
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1561374/1#14597011
Rich thinks the replacement foot might interfere with manual focusing.
I don’t think I would ever manually focus this lens a lot.
That sort of defeats the intent of this lens.
The lens may also be easier to carry and shoot handheld with the original foot.

k-hawinkler

animal eye-AF coming

Official: Sony FE 400mm f/2.8 GM lens announced! - FM Forums

AGeoJO wrote:
I pre-ordered that lens on the first day and I did provide the Pro-Imaging group with my pre-order number. Yet, it still remains to be seen whether a copy is slotted for me. At the earliest though, it would be a week from today when a copy of that lens will be delivered to my door. As long as the delivery takes place that week, I should be OK to try that out on both cameras, the A9 and A7r iII. If the delivery takes place a week later, the week of the 8th, then the timing is off since I have scheduled a trip to capture fall colors in the Eastern Sierras the entire week. Time will tell, I guess. I will know as soon as the charge on my CC gets processed.

Holger:
Sony's Photokina presentation seemed to indicate animal eye-AF coming.
That would combine well with the 400/2.8!
:thumbs:

tn1krr:
Yes, they actually showed it in use in a video. The presenter may have said "early" prior to saying next year, but "coming next year" was definately mentioned. Managed to link relevant part of the video below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1118&v=Uf7TUO1OPx8

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Your guesses about the 12 new E mount lenses promised!
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1563418/0#14608055

200-600mm
200mm f1.8/2.0
300mm f2.8/4.0
20mm f1.4/1.8
35mm f1.8/2.0 (maybe if we keep asking it will come)
14/16/18mm f1.4/1.8

I think the other interesting thing about the announcement was that they were working to make eye AF to work on animals. That can be quite helpful for shooting wildlife.