The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Tracking AF on A7R3, A7R4, and A9
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1618364/5#15022359

Quote:

What I would offer again to this discussion is for each of you to prioritize your photographic needs. If you truly need the finest AF acquisition system for moving subjects, the A9 is the only answer. No other camera system can touch it, and I've shot with the D1X and D5, they are great, but not the A9. As for sensor resolution, the A9 is phenomenal. I still can't believe the IQ I can extract from serious crops. I do use the A7RIII for large groups (200+ people) but in truth, the R2 would do that just as well. Even there, making 2'x5' prints, I don't know that it does a better job than my A9's. There is no evidence to support that the R4 can AF on a level with the A9, and really, if I don't really need 42MP for groups of as many as 350, who really needs 60MP. Clean, used A9's are all over the place $500-700 cheaper than the R4. Consider that if your subject moves, and with BIF, nothing beats 20fps for just the right wing placement. Best to all.”

Well, this captures well my sentiments with regards to the A9.
:salute:

Pradeep

Yes, the a9 is truly revolutionary, don't know about the MkII being much better though.I suspect the next generation will be significantly improved in terms of AF - although I don't know how much more they can do.

I am now in the happy situation of owning the a9 and the a7r4, both being the best of their own little worlds. No longer have to envy the Nikon guys for their D850s with the superior AF and high resolution. Combine this with some of the best super tele lenses on the market and Sony definitely has an amazing line-up.

k-hawinkler

Yes, the a9 is truly revolutionary, don't know about the MkII being much better though.I suspect the next generation will be significantly improved in terms of AF - although I don't know how much more they can do.

I am now in the happy situation of owning the a9 and the a7r4, both being the best of their own little worlds. No longer have to envy the Nikon guys for their D850s with the superior AF and high resolution. Combine this with some of the best super tele lenses on the market and Sony definitely has an amazing line-up.

Thanks Pradeep. I agree! :thumbs: :salute:

k-hawinkler

Well, the competition never rests, does it?

Canon now comes out with the 1DX3, with an updated sensor that is supposed to be much improved esp with regards to AF and low ISO, also capable of 20fps shooting in live view.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/94037...fessionals-pleased-with-the-eos-1d-x-mark-iii

Too late for me, sold all my Canon gear a while ago. Still, always good to keep the pot boiling.

All good. Sony needs competition so that they keep pushing ahead! :thumbs:

k-hawinkler

Via Greentoe ordered on 2018.11.15 the Sony FE 400/2.8 GM OSS lens. It arrived today 2019.10.24 after 11+ months. As it was already dark outside when UPS delivered it - we had quite a few snow flurries during the day slowing them down - an OOC shot of our kitchen wall clock will have to do for tonight! :thumbs: :LOL: :salute:

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS @ 400 mm, f/2.8, Exposure Time 0.008s (1/125), ISO 4000.

k-hawinkler

Well the FE 400/2.8 arrived too late for this summer season's Hummingbirds and Turkey Vultures. They already went South. :facesmack:

However the lens arrived just in time for the Fall Sandhill cranes migration that is in full swing overhead. A couple slightly modified OOC JPGs from today. :thumbs:

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS @ 400 mm, f/2.8, Exposure Time 0.0005s (1/2000), ISO 100.

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS @ 400 mm, f/2.8, Exposure Time 0.0005s (1/2000), ISO 125.

That's a new experience for me, shooting a 400 mm lens at 1/2000 s and f/2.8 with an ISO still at 100, 125. :clap: :shocked:

Shooting straight up the system is easily hand holdable for me, resting the Eye-cup on the Eye-socket. :grin:

Knorp

Via Greentoe ordered on 2018.11.15 the Sony FE 400/2.8 GM OSS lens. It arrived today 2019.10.24 after 11+ months. As it was already dark outside when UPS delivered it - we had quite a few snow flurries during the day slowing them down - an OOC shot of our kitchen wall clock will have to do for tonight! :thumbs: :LOL: :salute:
Wow ! Eleven months of waiting ! And no complaints or whining from you, as far as I can recall. You're a patient man, K-H :salute:
Hopefully you still find some interesting objects to shoot and show us what you can do with this marvel.
Congrats and happy shooting.

Brgds.

k-hawinkler

American Robin

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400 mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X TC @ 800 mm, f/5.6, 0.0005s (1/2000), ISO 1250. 3kx3k Crop

Bokeh seems Okeh. :ROTFL: :grin:

Handheld! :facesmack: :banghead: :loco:

k-hawinkler

Bluebird (female)

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400 mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X TC @ 800 mm, f/5.6, 0.0005s (1/2000), ISO 320. 3kx3k Crop

The Bluebirds are visiting our area from October to February. :thumbup: :clap:

k-hawinkler

American Robin in the Shade

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400 mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X TC @ 800 mm, f/5.6, 0.0005s (1/2000), ISO 2500.

Some Feather Detail lost to Noise. :banghead: :LOL:

k-hawinkler

Orange Pumpkin Good! :grin: :LOL: :ROTFL:

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 90 mm F2.8 Macro G OSS @ 90 mm, f/2.8, 0.00156s (1/640), ISO 500.