The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

Darin Marcus

Some time ago I made this list of birds that I have actually taken pictures of in/from my backyard over the last decade. Of course, they don't show up all at the same time. May be half a dozen to a dozen species at a time.
Have you seen the movie "The Big Year"? :)

Darin Marcus

Thanks Darin.
Nope, never heard of it.
Whst is it about?
A 2011 movie with Owen Wilson, Jack Black and Steve Martin.

Extracted from a summary on imdb.com:

In birding, a Big Year is seeing or hearing as many different species of birds as possible in a calendar year. Three men pursue the Birder of the Year title: Kenny Bostick (Owen Wilson), who's seen a record 732 in a past big year, Stu Preissler (Steve Martin), newly retired, and Brad Harris (Jack Black), who narrates the story. [...] They criss-cross the continent (including a trip to Alaska's westernmost island), follow migration patterns, and head for storms that force birds to ground.
Photography is used throughout the movie, but not center stage.

I found it a very funny and relaxing movie :D

k-hawinkler

A 2011 movie with Owen Wilson, Jack Black and Steve Martin.

Extracted from a summary on imdb.com:

Photography is used throughout the movie, but not center stage.

I found it a very funny and relaxing movie :D

Thanks Darin for the explanations. :clap:
Interesting, though I would never pursue such a goal.:facesmack:
Well, the only thing I am pursuing is taking pictures IMBY. :LOL:
I think I actually have the right gear for that. :thumbs: :grin:

k-hawinkler

It's Late in the Day.
Sandhill Cranes Flying Fast and Low.

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X TC @ 560 mm, f/8, 0.0004s (1/2500), ISO 2000.

k-hawinkler

Yesterday morning my wife saw 4 Northern Flicker at the same time at the water dish. Too bad I didn't get a shot in to document that occasion. :facesmack:

k-hawinkler

Young Rider Portrait @ FL = 800 mm

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X TC @ 800 mm, f/5.6, 0.00031s (1/3200), ISO 1000.

scho

Many thanks gandolfi. I appreciate your interest and feedback.

The bird population in our backyard changes with the seasons and over the years tremendously. Some move locally, from higher (up to 13,000 feet) to lower (down to about 5,000 feet around here) ground and vice versa. Others (e.g. some Hummingbirds) cover a range from Mexico to Alaska. :shocked: :loco:

Some time ago I made this list of birds that I have actually taken pictures of in/from my backyard over the last decade. Of course, they don't show up all at the same time. May be half a dozen to a dozen species at a time.

For example several years ago in the winter we counted several dozen American Robins in our backyard at the same time getting their drinks of water. In other years/seasons none of them showed up.

Here is my list:

American Robin, (leucistic)
Blue Jay (real name: Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay)
Bluebird, Mountain
Bluebird, Western
Bushtit
Canyon Towhee
Cassin’s Finch
Cassin’s Kingbird
Cedar Waxwings
Clark's Nutcracker
Cooper's Hawk
Cowbird
Dark-eyed Junco
Dove, Eurasian Collared
Dove, Mourning
Grosbeak, Black-headed
Grosbeak, Evening
Hermit Thrush
House Finch
House Sparrow
House Wren
Hummingbird Black-chinned
Hummingbird Broad-tailed
Hummingbird Calliope
Hummingbird Rufous
Juniper Titmouse
Lesser Goldfinch
Mountain Chickadee
Northern Flicker
Pine Siskin
Raven
Red-naped Sapsucker
Rock Pigeon
Sandhill Crane
Scaled Quail
Spotted Towhee
Steller's Jay
Swift
Thrasher, Curve-billed
Thrasher, Sage
Townsend’s Solitaire
Turkey Vulture
Western Tanager
White-breasted Nuthatch
White-crowned Sparrow
Woodpecker, Downy
Woodpecker, Hairy
Yellow Warbler

Enjoy, Karl-Heinz.
I thought that I saw a purple finch sitting on your feeder in one of the recent shots (#972 OOF far side of feeder)), but missed it in your list.

k-hawinkler

I thought that I saw a purple finch sitting on your feeder in one of the recent shots (#972 OOF far side of feeder)), but missed it in your list.
Many thanks Carl. Did you think of this image?

I have that one listed as a House Finch. It’s a male. :salute:
But it’s probably safe to assume that I failed to list all the bird species visiting our backyard. :facesmack:
I likely also got a few identifications wrong although I checked all new to me birds with my neighbor. She is an accomplished birder and knows a lot more than I do about birding. :thumbup:

scho

Many thanks Carl. Did you think of this image?

I have that one listed as a House Finch. It’s a male. :salute:
But it’s probably safe to assume that I failed to list all the bird species visiting our backyard. :facesmack:
I likely also got a few identifications wrong although I checked all new to me birds with my neighbor. She is an accomplished birder and knows a lot more than I do about birding. :thumbup:
Yes, that is the one. The purple finch is very common year round in our area, but I usually don't notice them until I start feeding the birds in the fall. Here is one on my feeder from last month:

k-hawinkler

Karl M., a Gentleman of 80 Years! :thumbs: :clap: :salute:

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 2X TC @ 200 mm, f/9, 0.00067s (1/1500), ISO 1250.

The best camera is the one you have with you! :grin:

k-hawinkler

Sandhill Cranes

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X TC @ 800 mm, f/5.6, 0.0005s (1/2000), ISO 100.

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X TC @ 800 mm, f/5.6, 0.0005s (1/2000), ISO 500.

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X TC @ 800 mm, f/5.6, 0.0005s (1/2000), ISO 400.

k-hawinkler

Ducks at Ashley Pond

Rolling Silent Electronic Shutter Distortion

Definitely NOT Pleased!

After Some Grooming / Pruning

And A Sip of Water Everything Seems Fine Again! :LOL:

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter.

This wouldn't have happened with the silent shutter of the ILCE-9.