The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII Remote focus?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I want to use the 90mm F2.8 Macro for some focus bracket work, and have been fiddling around with play memories mobile, RemoteCamera Control and C1 tethered shooting (LR tethering isn't supported for this model) to see if there's a way of selecting and changing focus points remotely, without touching the camera.

Obviously this would have the benefit of reducing camera movement between shots, what with not having to touch the front of what is effectively a long cantilever several times during a series of shots.

But I can't find a way of doing it. Is anyone aware of a workable method?

TIA!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim the remote cord RM-Vpr1 will auto focus on half press. The problem is it takes the same port as the laptop(C1) tethered. Not sure how to get around the one port issue when you need 2

Im thinking

CAPTURE PILOT maybe. I think that be a solution

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim the remote cord RM-Vpr1 will auto focus on half press. The problem is it takes the same port as the laptop(C1) tethered. Not sure how to get around the one port issue when you need 2

Im thinking

CAPTURE PILOT maybe. I think that be a solution

Thanks Guy. The thing is, I need to be able to move the focus point around between shots, using live view. I have installed the latest version of Smart Camera Remote and can now do this from my iPhone but there's not sufficient granularity to allow the sort of exact focus shifts one needs for macro stacking. Magnified live view would be needed. I'll try it from my iPad but I suspect it still won't be enough...

V

Vivek

There are dedicated outfits available for focus stacking that move the whole unit. If I am serious about focus stacking for macros, I would go with one them. DSLR users use them with great success.

frozenbb

There are dedicated outfits available for focus stacking that move the whole unit. If I am serious about focus stacking for macros, I would go with one them. DSLR users use them with great success.
If you're using it for macro purposees, Vivek's suggestion is probably best. Essentially, you can control a motorized rail from a distance, while liveview tethering your camera using one of the options you suggest. It doesn't directly solve your problem, but it is an acceptable workaround for macro stacking work.

jim251

Tim, the Olympus E-M1 iPad interface is probably exactly the you're looking for, at least all but the Olympus part, haha. Really, the full touch screen capability of the E-M1 is wirelessly extended to the iPad/iPhone where you can remotely focus or focus-shoot as you "stab" all over the iPad screen. I've used it, it's brilliant - the full monty.

Just thought I'd point to this so if it's important enough you could just rent one for the project...

frozenbb

Hi Tim, here's a bit more info on the process.

I've managed to control AND trigger my Cognisys Stackshot rail AND my Sony cameras (a7r AND a6000) using my phone, some custom cables, and the MTB StackShot Ctrl app for Android. No IR universal remote was used (i.e., the ones sold by Cognisys for use with dumb cameras). According to all available literature for the Cognisys Stackshot rail, this technique should not be possible with Sony e-mount bodies.

Here is my parts list:

https://www.cognisys-inc.com/store/stackshot-ext-rail-pkg.html

The motorized macro rail.

Amazon.com: Micro USB to USB OTG Adapter Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories

I used this plus a mini usb cable to connect my android phone to the Stackshot, with control duties handled by the app below.

http://www.ebay.com/cln/spintra/2-5mm-cable-for-a7r/103765812015

I used a custom cable like this, except with a female 2.5mm plug, not male. When paired with the Cognisys cable below, I could connect my camera to the Stackshot for shutter triggering purposes. Sony, thankfully, didn't totally eliminate the ability to send a dumb shutter release command through the multi port terminal on its latest cameras.

Cognisys Store

This shutter cable came with my used Stackshot rail that I purchased last year.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.macro_toolbox.android.mtbstackshotctrl&hl=en

Here's a great app for controlling the Stackshot with an Android phone/tablet - because some geek had to create one!

One more note: assuming you've got two android devices, Sony's Playmemories app can be used in conjunction with the mtb Stackshot control app. This means that things like shutter speed and focus preview can be done outside the camera wirelessly, while the Stackshot app still triggers the shutter.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for that very detailed and helpful rundown, much appreciated. Stupid question though: isn't the relative size of the subject in the frame subject to large shifts as you move the camera closer?

frozenbb

Thanks for that very detailed and helpful rundown, much appreciated. Stupid question though: isn't the relative size of the subject in the frame subject to large shifts as you move the camera closer?
It depends on the size of the object and the focus distance,but at macro scales this isn't a significant factor.