Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uncompressed 14bit RAW

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uncompressed 14bit RAW

Sorry for I got lost, what's the consensus now ? We actually want Lossless Compressed over Uncompressed over Lossy Compressed ?
    Okay - sooo, who's gonna tell Sony ...
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

+1. Yes and be able to choose!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Sorry for I got lost, what's the consensus now ? We actually want Lossless Compressed over Uncompressed over Lossy Compressed ?
    Okay - sooo, who's gonna tell Sony ...
    Lossless compressed would obviously be preferred due to around (quess, depends on algorithm) 40% smaller files, but either will do just fine. With uncompressed each of my 3 64 GB cards can only take 700-800 pics...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Bill I don't know if you own a a77II but honestly it is a tough to beat AF system for speed and accuracy ........ here one from yesterday shot handheld with the a77II and a 150-600mm from quite a distance with clear blue skies and a 50% crop at somewhere between 500mm-550mm which is a effective FOV of a near 800mm on a 35mm body.

It balances well with the 150-600 and has a very fast frame rate and buffer... not bad for a $800 body..... it's not a low light king but isn't all that bad either compared to the original a77.

Service? I can't argue with anyone there.... it was totally idiotic to farm this process out when their in house process was so excellent. I went with the Sony Pro Service Support program just to have someone with some leverage on my side if I needed service.......
    I just sold my Nikon D4 which has both great AF and a big buffer.

I would love both from a Sony A mirror less body. I won't be looking at the A77 or A99 style bodies at all. I would have probably kept my extensive Nikon gear if I wanted that type of camera.

I am using Samsung's very good NX1, which has pretty good AF itself as well as 4K video for sports shots. Unfortunately, it is also cursed with a silly small buffer as are all the small Sony cameras.

My other point is that the A7R2 is a super camera already and I don't believe Nikon or Canon can necessarily do better. Almost certainly not now and possibly not ever. Sony will keep moving the bar.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing is, now that I think about it... arent' the files coming out of digital backs compressed raw? My RED also produces compressed raws. Nice thing about that is, you can set the compression anywhere from 3:1 on up depending on how much media you want to burn.

Post Thanks / Like

DPR got to try the new uncompressed feature, and gets some further details from Sony.

Summary:
    • Artifacts are gone
    • Files are twice the size (roughly 80MBs)
    • Continuous shooting speed unaffected, but buffer fills sooner
    • The processor (probably) can't do lossless compressed, hence the UN-compressed.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 7.57.12 AM.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  19.5 KB

Here - What difference does it make? Sony uncompressed Raw
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice... I now have a 80mb mirrorless (roflmao) take that Canikon

I mean really, all this internet whining for that? Yeah it's better if someone wants to push the extremes and pixel peep but I swear I have never seen this artifact issue in my real world photography on any of my digital Sony/Minolta RAW images. This is why I just don't go to that forum any more and probably never will again. Too many brainiacs looking for things to complain about....

Vivek you and I both know the whining will continue even after this because they did not give us Lossless compression. Once they get this I bet the OVF option is next on their wish lists. Then there will be some defect that can only be seen at pixel level with a proton microscope when pushed 20 stops.... It won't end

I appreciate all the accolades Sony has gotten recently for listening and responding to their customers but from a manufacturer's viewpoint that can become a double edged sword because it will be a never ending thrust in their side. Some customer bases can never be totally satisfied because some just like to complain or nitpic a product rather than just use it.

I guess I will never understand people paying big money for a product when they know certain things about the product going in will not satisfy them. If the lack of Lossless compression was a deal breaker for them they just should buy products that have it. Their money speaks their dissatisfaction far stronger than wish lists on the Internet. Companies pay attention to profits... You want to get a point across do things that negatively effect their profits and they will respond far faster. This lossless compression thing started like a brush burn then turned into something needing a arterial clamp to stop the bleeding as it becomes viewed as a serious issue when pushed to extremes. My guess is these same people have never been exposed to the term "design intent".
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    DPR got to try the new uncompressed feature, and gets some further details from Sony.

Summary:
    • Artifacts are gone
    • Files are twice the size (roughly 80MBs)
    • Continuous shooting speed unaffected, but buffer fills sooner
    • The processor (probably) can't do lossless compressed, hence the UN-compressed.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 7.57.12 AM.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  19.5 KB

Here - What difference does it make? Sony uncompressed Raw
    Nice!

I hope the A6000's successor will have better processors and offer lossless compressed RAW option.

It is time that Sony redeem them by offering better cameras that befit their sensors.

Vivek you and I both know the whining will continue even after this because they did not give us Lossless compression.
    There, I started it!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Nice!

I hope the A6000's successor will have better processors and offer lossless compressed RAW option.

It is time that Sony redeem them by offering better cameras that befit their sensors.

There, I started it!
    Okay your banned just for whining. LOL

Im joking of course but for GetDPI folks make sure you got some fast cards. I have the Lexar 1000 now but I'm going to get the 2000. I don't want my SD cards winding up to be a bottleneck. Don't say anything on the other forums lets keep this one to ourselves. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I don't need no stink'n fast cards I will never use the uncompressed RAW option......... My stuff isn't, nor hasn't, suffered without it so there is no need to use it and load up my externals with unneeded additional MB's or spend more money of faster and bigger cards and memory devices.

I look at it like putting a supercharged hemi in a golf cart ........ guess in some situations it would be nice to have but overall the added weight, gas consumption, broken drivetrains and lug bolts along with all the other associated issues just make's it not worth the effort in a area you are restricted to 20mph on. "Design Intent" again .....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Im joking of course but for GetDPI folks make sure you got some fast cards. I have the Lexar 1000 now but I'm going to get the 2000. I don't want my SD cards winding up to be a bottleneck. Don't say anything on the other forums lets keep this one to ourselves. LOL

I don't "whine". I just vote with my wallet.

I am really looking forward to the updates for my A7/7R/7S and a great A6000 successor.

Good call on the SD cards.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm very happy to have the option to shoot lossless with the A7RII, even if it's uncompressed. I assume it was easier to implement this way and probably much less computationally expensive, for a camera that's already quite challenged in the speed and battery life department. I'm not complaining.

DPR also fired up rawdigger, and noted that the files are true 14-bit now, with no histogram gaps like before. So this is the real deal.

Kudos to Iliah, Jim Kasson, and the groundswell of users who cared about this issue enough to force a fix.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hard drives and SD cards are dirt cheap relative to the price of the camera.

Glad to see Sony listening to customers and nice to have this option (even if I haven't run into an issue with compression yet)!

Post Thanks / Like

Spence, I am not saying options are not nice to have and maybe I just might find a situation where this particular option will make a significant difference. I am all for continuous product improvements as well and in some situations it takes a squeaky wheel to push this process along. Maybe what we observed across the internet in FE forums was necessary to achieve this change who knows? Where my issue comes from a manufacturing viewpoint is the way it appeared to be a life and death defect in many posters minds and the way this sort of spontaneous irrational reasoning spreads like cancer. It wasn't a DEFECT and it wasn't unknown going into the purchase. It was only visible if one went outside the normal design intent limits of PP and then was visible at extreme crops. It was a design intent variable pushed past its reasonable limits! Would it be nice to not have this issue? Sure! But it would also be nice if my truck could fly...... Or my boat could go underwater more than once

I am glad people got something they felt would make their photographic experiences better.... honestly I am but I fear Sony's reaction to this will just open a can of worms and the wouldn't it be nice list will turn into the Sony is making defective product list on whatever the new flavor of the month is for the disenchanted ones to post about to validate their existence.

It is impossible to give everyone everything they want and have everyone totally happy ... just look at Washington DC as an example of this

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. It was only visible if one went outside the normal design intent limits of PP and then was visible at extreme crops.
    Jim,

What were the "normal design intent limits" ? If Sony have spelled those out I would like to know. A7/7R/7s, btw were sold as "pro level" cameras. So, this is not something new due to A7rII's debut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by krugorg View Post
    Hard drives and SD cards are dirt cheap relative to the price of the camera.

Glad to see Sony listening to customers and nice to have this option (even if I haven't run into an issue with compression yet)!
    Agree I'm not worried for a second on bigger files. My one concern is read/ write with camera. So I'm thinking very fast cards. But again I will need that not everyone will. I would like 2 64gb 300 read write cards. That would get me through any gig.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Spence, I am not saying options are not nice to have and maybe I just might find a situation where this particular option will make a significant difference. I am all for continuous product improvements as well and in some situations it takes a squeaky wheel to push this process along. Maybe what we observed across the internet in FE forums was necessary to achieve this change who knows? Where my issue comes from a manufacturing viewpoint is the way it appeared to be a life and death defect in many posters minds and the way this sort of spontaneous irrational reasoning spreads like cancer. It wasn't a DEFECT and it wasn't unknown going into the purchase. It was only visible if one went outside the normal design intent limits of PP and then was visible at extreme crops. It was a design intent variable pushed past its reasonable limits! Would it be nice to not have this issue? Sure! But it would also be nice if my truck could fly...... Or my boat could go underwater more than once

I am glad people got something they felt would make their photographic experiences better.... honestly I am but I fear Sony's reaction to this will just open a can of worms and the wouldn't it be nice list will turn into the Sony is making defective product list on whatever the new flavor of the month is for the disenchanted ones to post about to validate their existence.

It is impossible to give everyone everything they want and have everyone totally happy ... just look at Washington DC as an example of this
    No bad analogy Jim. Washington is far worse. Lol

I already forgot about all that whining and so on. Glad it's here I will use it mostly but if I need buffer on runway stuff I will go back to compressed in a heart beat as I never ran into issues. But I also suspect this may have something to do with long exposure stuff too which even for landscapes we can run into minutes. I know I have. So end of day all good. I ignore a lot of those whiners and frankly stopped reading a ton of it. I just wanna shoot

Jim we will never stop the whining and we will also be morons for buying Sony in some people's mind. My thoughts, my money my camera my art. ****em

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, You and I both know as photographers what normal photographic design intents are(does not include pushing shadows 5 stops and ultra cropping to see a artifact).... we also know what a bogus idiotic term "Pro Level" is when referring to a camera........

I am a paid photographer and have been paid for images from cheap P&S up to 4x5 view cameras ...... a so called designated PRO camera is just nonsense imo. To me as a paid photographer the tool I choose to use for a specific shot is then a PRO LEVEL camera no matter what is was sold as.

The labels are just pure BS and at best a retailing attribute to sell more cameras to those hoping to become pros or that may think because they use a camera labeled as Pro they are in some way a Pro or their images will be better for deciding to buy them.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It was only visible if one went outside the normal design intent limits of PP and then was visible at extreme crops. It was a design intent variable pushed past its reasonable limits! Would it be nice to not have this issue? Sure! But it would also be nice if my truck could fly...... Or my boat could go underwater more than once
    Not true, Jim. Long exposure star trails, for instance--lots of folks shoot them. It's reasonable to expect that cameras, in 2015, costing thousands of dollars, be able to handle them without terrible artifacting. Sony's lossy compression can't/couldn't. Shots of bright edges at night; artifacts visible with minimal exposure push.

And your analogy is a poor one, because the Nikon cameras, using the very same Sony sensors in many cases, handle these situations with aplomb--flying trucks and unsinkable boats, I guess.

I think I'm done discussing this issue. We got our fix. If you don't want to use it, don't--continue to shoot lossy compressed, it's still an option. I'll never understand the incredible amount of time and effort some folks, you included, no offense, spent in opposing the introduction of a lossless option. To each his own, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Spence, no offense taken, I wasn't opposed to introducing a lossy compression option .... or any improvements for that matter..... I just did not like the manner (and way it was being defined) it was being executed and the questionable agenda's some of those individuals may of had. Especially those who don't even own or use the product.

My truck and boat examples were to show outside this specific products design intend not to say it can't be done if the wants and needs create the desire to accomplish these new criteria's. There have been cars that can fly and boats that can dive, if the need is there nearly everything can be obtained. Sony, till the introduction of the FE line, had never heard squat about their cRAW so there was no need to address any issues with it. Hence, IT's camera lines did not include other RAW options..... so not in it's design intent for their engineering staff..... if it had been I am sure their engineers are just as talented as the other manufacturers engineers and could of easily achieved this criteria. It wasn't a defect as most wanted to present it as on those stone throwing discussions about Sony RAW's....... and I really don't care what any other brands may offer as I bought Sony and not them so my vote is cast as Vivek stated.

I am done with this as well but one can bet it's far from over because lossless compression has not been achieved and these pitbulls won't turn this loose till they get exactly what they had in their other brand cameras.

What I am curious about and will be waiting to see is just how many FE users will actually adopt uncompressed RAW's into their daily workflow........ my guess would be less than .05% of the total number of Sony user's. If this ends up as correct then we might conclude that the majority of the total conversations filling up forums relating to this in FE forums was basically for near no real practical application ....... A whole lot of spinning wheels for little movement.
    Last edited by Jim DE; 23rd September 2015 at 12:07.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

I went to the Lexar site and they don't give any stats regarding write speed. They have read speeds but not write. I've always been pleased with their stuff but am curious about the lack of information. Sandisk, on the other hand, does quote read and write speeds..... its a little bit more money but the write information is a known entity. For your uses I would think that the write speed is very important.... its not that important for my purposes.

Victor

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

From that other site: What difference does it make?

source: dpreview.com
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Just posted this elsewhere, reposting here:

For anybody buying memory cards for A7RII that might shoot video, just make sure you get the right class. Even if a card is capable in terms of write speed, Sony won't let you activate the mode if you don't meet the requirements below:

XAVC S 4k 100M - UHS-I SDXC U3
    XAVC S 4K 60M - UHS-I SDXC U1
    XAVC S HD - UHS-I SDXC U1 or U3
    AVCHD - UHS-I SDHC U1 or better
    MP4 - UHS-I SDHC U1 or better

Taken from here. Info is in the manual as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Super-fast memory cards apparently have little effect on the speed at which the A7Rii writes its files. The camera itself is the limit. (No UHSii interface, for instance.) Here's a very good summary of memory card options and speeds.

http://alikgriffin.com/best-sd-memory-card-sony-a7rii

I have very fast UHSii cards (Lexar 2000x 300Mb/s 64G). The camera doesn't write the files any faster than my older cards, that I can notice. I imagine that writing the big new uncompressed files will take a while, no matter how fast the card is.

The A7Rii buffer is plenty big enough for me; I can keep shooting. But there is already some lag before getting a magnifiable preview, and that lag may well increase. It's worth it, IMO.

What UHSii memory cards WILL do, I find, is write blazingly fast to a computer equipped with USB3 and a UHSii reader. Way, way faster than older cards and readers. Which is gonna come in handy.

--d

Post Thanks / Like

How certain are we that uncompressed 14 bit RAW is an option?

It would be great, of course, but it's possible it will be the only choice.

Post Thanks / Like

DPR did exact a/b shot comparisons, and the article made clear, reading between the lines, that's it's optional. Not to worry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    How certain are we that uncompressed 14 bit RAW is an option?

It would be great, of course, but it's possible it will be the only choice.
    My recollection is that the Sony presser called it an option.
    Making it absolute, rather than an option would, in my view, be the pinnacle of marketing stupidity.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think it's great news. Lossless compression would be even nicer but it's a luxury not a necessity. I will mostly shoot the smaller files but whenever I'm in doubt or the shot really matters, switching to the uncompressed files will be a no brainer.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidstock View Post
    Super-fast memory cards apparently have little effect on the speed at which the A7Rii writes its files. The camera itself is the limit. (No UHSii interface, for instance.) Here's a very good summary of memory card options and speeds.

http://alikgriffin.com/best-sd-memory-card-sony-a7rii

I have very fast UHSii cards (Lexar 2000x 300Mb/s 64G). The camera doesn't write the files any faster than my older cards, that I can notice. I imagine that writing the big new uncompressed files will take a while, no matter how fast the card is.

The A7Rii buffer is plenty big enough for me; I can keep shooting. But there is already some lag before getting a magnifiable preview, and that lag may well increase. It's worth it, IMO.

What UHSii memory cards WILL do, I find, is write blazingly fast to a computer equipped with USB3 and a UHSii reader. Way, way faster than older cards and readers. Which is gonna come in handy.

--d
    Exactly my findings too, there's no noticeable difference between my Sandisk UHS-I 95 Mbps or Lexar UHS-II 150 Mbps cards.
    Writing to my iMac is a different matter alright !

All the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Well I think it's great news. Lossless compression would be even nicer but it's a luxury not a necessity. I will mostly shoot the smaller files but whenever I'm in doubt or the shot really matters, switching to the uncompressed files will be a no brainer.
    Good news indeed, let's say the glass is half full ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A Kentuky university professor has issued a program correcting the artifacts due to the lossy compression of arw files. It is still a Beta version but is free. More info here :

The Aggregate: KARWY

(I found that at sonyalpharumors, but didn't test)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    A Kentuky university professor has issued a program correcting the artifacts due to the lossy compression of arw files. It is still a Beta version but is free. More info here :

The Aggregate: KARWY

(I found that at sonyalpharumors, but didn't test)
    They have not "issued" one. You have to upload your RAW file and after processing, it allows one to download an output in cgi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They have not "issued" one. You have to upload your RAW file and after processing, it allows one to download an output in cgi.
    A standalone and free version is expected in six months (at least that is what the website says (I thought the beta version which is already available) was also a standalone. My bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This from sonyalpharumors:

Sony Japan announced that it will release a firmware update for the A7rII in mid October. And it will add the 14bit uncompressed RAW file option.

So we'll have 80MB RAW files in a couple of weeks.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but no more internet whining by converts about those gosh darn pesky artifacts at 1000% crop pixel level in high contrast areas..... man those dang artifacts have just killed my weekly pay .......

You know I had to say that Joe..... the dang "Lossy devil" made me do it ... Personally, I just can't wait for one more option in this camera I won't use.... goes right along with P & Auto modes, video, panorama, jpg, etc.....

Whatever happened to a still camera being just a still camera and the 12" behind it knowing how to use it for any and all desired results?
    Last edited by Jim DE; 2nd October 2015 at 14:06.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but no more internet whining by converts about those gosh darn pesky artifacts at 1000% crop pixel level in high contrast areas..... man those dang artifacts have just killed my weekly pay .......

You know I had to say that Joe..... the dang "Lossy devil" made me do it ... Personally, I just can't wait for one more option in this camera I won't use.... goes right along with P & Auto modes, video, panorama, jpg, etc.....

Whatever happened to a still camera being just a still camera and the 12" behind it knowing how to use it for any and all desired results?

Here are artifacts for you in plain sight! http://www.dpreview.com/articles/745...variance-study
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

KH, I'm sure that site has all sorts of very compelling information on this issue but I decided I was done with the FF E mount forum there. I would not go there if they paid me big bucks. That forum makes me puke with all the whining, the drive by users, and the brainiacs feeding their hunger to dig for things to whine about. I'll never go back on that forum even to see their compelling BS.

Nothing personal KH ... But I don't care what they say or do on that forum. If I don't see it on my images for me it's not a issue. Just like I don't go into other manufacturers forums either because I don't own their products nor do I care what they do or don't have. They could have the best or worst products in the world and it just does not matter to me. In interchangeable lens cameras I have only used and owned KM/Sony bodies and will till the end: artifacts and all .

I am a very simple paid photographer and only use gear that suits my needs and wants ... Never needed to look outside KM/Sony to achieve this objective.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're declaring the opinions on which your facts are based!

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

Kirk I am just saying I have shot lossy compression since lossy started after the a900 and have not once seen or had this artifact issue( nor have my customers ever complained about this) so even if it does exist on extremes it is not a issue I need to be concerned with. Nor have I ever made a dime with a star trail shot or a church stained glass one either so .. I don't do too many of those.

I have enough real world daily issues to deal with so I don't go to extremes to find more ... My opinions are formulated by what I personally witness in my images which essentially become my facts.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

KH, I'm sure that site has all sorts of very compelling information on this issue but I decided I was done with the FF E mount forum there. I would not go there if they paid me big bucks. That forum makes me puke with all the whining, the drive by users, and the brainiacs feeding their hunger to dig for things to whine about. I'll never go back on that forum even to see their compelling BS.

Nothing personal KH ... But I don't care what they say or do on that forum. If I don't see it on my images for me it's not a issue. Just like I don't go into other manufacturers forums either because I don't own their products nor do I care what they do or don't have. They could have the best or worst products in the world and it just does not matter to me. In interchangeable lens cameras I have only used and owned KM/Sony bodies and will till the end: artifacts and all .

I am a very simple paid photographer and only use gear that suits my needs and wants ... Never needed to look outside KM/Sony to achieve this objective.

BTW, Jim, for your information, the reference I gave was for a paper written by dpreview staff and not to a forum discussion. It demonstrates clearly the problem without resorting to pixel peeping!

However, in the Sony forum over there contribute some very knowledgable folks with great information, otherwise only available at their own blogs. Jim, frankly over here you don't seem to be the only one totally out of touch with the proceedings over there. Sure, there are also some trolls there, but those you can find anywhere.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

KH, I will agree with you totally about being out of touch with what is going on over there because I haven't been there since before the DXOmark rating of the a7rII and don't want to ever go there again. That forum is so different than either the A mount or the Nex forum it is sickening and it is a direct result of those using it. I know many A7x owners who stay on the other two Sony forums or go elsewhere because they just don't like the FF forum's climate.

If those there like what they have there and fully enjoy themselves I say good for them and I wish them well! I elect to stay "out of touch" of what goes on there.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's fine Jim. But people change, sometimes, and the influx of new blood over there has improved their level of discourse almost miraculously.

Okay, I'll drop this subject now. I apologize if I bothered you.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

KH I am not bothered, I enjoy and respect your posts and images... It's just a rainy Friday night discussion when my hockey teams game wasn't televised tonight(now that bothered me )

Post Thanks / Like

Uncompressed coming to the A7rII next week...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-...-october-19th/
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is good that there is a FW update for the A7r II.

Sony: How about those A7/R/S cameras? When would they get the update?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It is good that there is a FW update for the A7r II.

Sony: How about those A7/R/S cameras? When would they get the update?
    Hey Vivek, let's not forget this question:

@SONY: when will we have lossless compression for the A7r II ?

Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bart, I am serious. I also think that there will not be a lossless RAW or lossless compressed RAW in the existing A7 cams.

Isn't it a shame that the sensor maker can't get the best out of their own sensors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bart, I am serious. I also think that there will not be a lossless RAW or lossless compressed RAW in the existing A7 cams.

Isn't it a shame that the sensor maker can't get the best out of their own sensors?
    The initial press release for uncompressed RAW release says "Additionally, they have announced plans to add user selectable compressed or uncompressed 14-Bit RAW still image capture via firmware update to additional cameras beginning with the recently introduced α7R II full-frame mirrorless model."

No further details are available, the "beginning with" can be interpreted in quite many ways...

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/so...new---cameras/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    The initial press release for uncompressed RAW release says "Additionally, they have announced plans to add user selectable compressed or uncompressed 14-Bit RAW still image capture via firmware update to additional cameras beginning with the recently introduced α7R II full-frame mirrorless model."

No further details are available, the "beginning with" can be interpreted in quite many ways...

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/so...new---cameras/
    Well, "beginning with" was quite accurate as we now have the uncompressed RAW option.
    And I believe we will see the same for the other A7-series cameras in due time.
    However, I very much doubt we'll ever see lossless compressed RAW coming: that seems to be a bridge too far.
    Note: converting uncompressed RAW to lossless DNG is a piece of cake, though not sure if all meta data (and IQ) is retained.

All the best.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think lossless compressed raw will come in future Sony cameras.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I would think lossless compressed raw will come in future Sony cameras.
    The RX1 R II is a future camera...