The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Uncompressed 14bit RAW

Jim DE

Yeah but no more internet whining by converts about those gosh darn pesky artifacts at 1000% crop pixel level in high contrast areas..... man those dang artifacts have just killed my weekly pay ....... :banghead:

You know I had to say that Joe..... the dang "Lossy devil" made me do it ... :) :) Personally, I just can't wait for one more option in this camera I won't use.... goes right along with P & Auto modes, video, panorama, jpg, etc..... ;)

Whatever happened to a still camera being just a still camera and the 12" behind it knowing how to use it for any and all desired results?

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Yeah but no more internet whining by converts about those gosh darn pesky artifacts at 1000% crop pixel level in high contrast areas..... man those dang artifacts have just killed my weekly pay ....... :banghead:

You know I had to say that Joe..... the dang "Lossy devil" made me do it ... :) :) Personally, I just can't wait for one more option in this camera I won't use.... goes right along with P & Auto modes, video, panorama, jpg, etc..... ;)

Whatever happened to a still camera being just a still camera and the 12" behind it knowing how to use it for any and all desired results?

Here are artifacts for you in plain sight! http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7450523388/sony-alpha-7r-ii-real-world-iso-invariance-study

Jim DE

KH, I'm sure that site has all sorts of very compelling information on this issue but I decided I was done with the FF E mount forum there. I would not go there if they paid me big bucks. That forum makes me puke with all the whining, the drive by users, and the brainiacs feeding their hunger to dig for things to whine about. I'll never go back on that forum even to see their compelling BS.

Nothing personal KH ... But I don't care what they say or do on that forum. If I don't see it on my images for me it's not a issue. Just like I don't go into other manufacturers forums either because I don't own their products nor do I care what they do or don't have. They could have the best or worst products in the world and it just does not matter to me. In interchangeable lens cameras I have only used and owned KM/Sony bodies and will till the end: artifacts and all ;).

I am a very simple paid photographer and only use gear that suits my needs and wants ... Never needed to look outside KM/Sony to achieve this objective.

Jim DE

Kirk I am just saying I have shot lossy compression since lossy started after the a900 and have not once seen or had this artifact issue( nor have my customers ever complained about this) so even if it does exist on extremes it is not a issue I need to be concerned with. Nor have I ever made a dime with a star trail shot or a church stained glass one either so .. I don't do too many of those. ;)

I have enough real world daily issues to deal with so I don't go to extremes to find more ... My opinions are formulated by what I personally witness in my images which essentially become my facts.

k-hawinkler

KH, I'm sure that site has all sorts of very compelling information on this issue but I decided I was done with the FF E mount forum there. I would not go there if they paid me big bucks. That forum makes me puke with all the whining, the drive by users, and the brainiacs feeding their hunger to dig for things to whine about. I'll never go back on that forum even to see their compelling BS.

Nothing personal KH ... But I don't care what they say or do on that forum. If I don't see it on my images for me it's not a issue. Just like I don't go into other manufacturers forums either because I don't own their products nor do I care what they do or don't have. They could have the best or worst products in the world and it just does not matter to me. In interchangeable lens cameras I have only used and owned KM/Sony bodies and will till the end: artifacts and all ;).

I am a very simple paid photographer and only use gear that suits my needs and wants ... Never needed to look outside KM/Sony to achieve this objective.

BTW, Jim, for your information, the reference I gave was for a paper written by dpreview staff and not to a forum discussion. It demonstrates clearly the problem without resorting to pixel peeping!

However, in the Sony forum over there contribute some very knowledgable folks with great information, otherwise only available at their own blogs. Jim, frankly over here you don't seem to be the only one totally out of touch with the proceedings over there. Sure, there are also some trolls there, but those you can find anywhere.

Jim DE

KH, I will agree with you totally about being out of touch with what is going on over there because I haven't been there since before the DXOmark rating of the a7rII and don't want to ever go there again. That forum is so different than either the A mount or the Nex forum it is sickening and it is a direct result of those using it. I know many A7x owners who stay on the other two Sony forums or go elsewhere because they just don't like the FF forum's climate.

If those there like what they have there and fully enjoy themselves I say good for them and I wish them well! I elect to stay "out of touch" of what goes on there.

k-hawinkler

That's fine Jim. But people change, sometimes, and the influx of new blood over there has improved their level of discourse almost miraculously.

Okay, I'll drop this subject now. I apologize if I bothered you.:grin:

Jim DE

KH I am not bothered, I enjoy and respect your posts and images... It's just a rainy Friday night discussion when my hockey teams game wasn't televised tonight(now that bothered me ;) )

V

Vivek

It is good that there is a FW update for the A7r II.

Sony: How about those A7/R/S cameras? When would they get the update?

Knorp

It is good that there is a FW update for the A7r II.

Sony: How about those A7/R/S cameras? When would they get the update?
Hey Vivek, let's not forget this question:

@SONY: when will we have lossless compression for the A7r II ?

:p

V

Vivek

Bart, I am serious. I also think that there will not be a lossless RAW or lossless compressed RAW in the existing A7 cams.

Isn't it a shame that the sensor maker can't get the best out of their own sensors?

tn1krr

Bart, I am serious. I also think that there will not be a lossless RAW or lossless compressed RAW in the existing A7 cams.

Isn't it a shame that the sensor maker can't get the best out of their own sensors?
The initial press release for uncompressed RAW release says "Additionally, they have announced plans to add user selectable compressed or uncompressed 14-Bit RAW still image capture via firmware update to additional cameras beginning with the recently introduced α7R II full-frame mirrorless model."

No further details are available, the "beginning with" can be interpreted in quite many ways...

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/s...it-raw-still-image-capture-for-new---cameras/

Knorp

The initial press release for uncompressed RAW release says "Additionally, they have announced plans to add user selectable compressed or uncompressed 14-Bit RAW still image capture via firmware update to additional cameras beginning with the recently introduced α7R II full-frame mirrorless model."

No further details are available, the "beginning with" can be interpreted in quite many ways...

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/s...it-raw-still-image-capture-for-new---cameras/
Well, "beginning with" was quite accurate as we now have the uncompressed RAW option.
And I believe we will see the same for the other A7-series cameras in due time.
However, I very much doubt we'll ever see lossless compressed RAW coming: that seems to be a bridge too far.
Note: converting uncompressed RAW to lossless DNG is a piece of cake, though not sure if all meta data (and IQ) is retained.

All the best.