Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: DRO settings

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    DRO settings

    I never paid much attention to the DRO settings. It was usually "OFF". Recently, I was looking at it.

    On the NEX' the DRO settings (LV1 to LV5) appear to have very subtle effects. However, on FF (A7/7r/7s), the difference appears to be quite noticeable.

    I have a question: Is the DRO (curves) baked into the RAW files or is it just for JPEGS?

    TIA!
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    I believe it is baked into the RAW. Sony licences this technology from www.apical.co.uk. Also Nikon licences it as well but they call it dlighting. Here is some more information Feature: Apical dynamic range interview: Digital Photography Review
    Craig Slingsby
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    I believe it is baked into the RAW. Sony licences this technology from www.apical.co.uk. Also Nikon licences it as well but they call it dlighting. Here is some more information Feature: Apical dynamic range interview: Digital Photography Review
    Thanks. On the Nikon it's not baked in though. One can overwrite it with their software, no?
    With best regards, K-H.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    I've just looked at this again and I see people are saying it's not applied to the RAW files on Sony cameras on other forums.
    Craig Slingsby
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  5. #5
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: DRO settings

    Can't help you. I have mine turned off and never use it ever. I don't do HDR in post either. Hate that look
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    It's not baked into the raw, only jpg. You can see it when importing raws into lightroom. The first preview is the jpg with (when DRO is on) brightened shadows but then when the raw is rendered the DRO effect is gone.

    If you use the Sony raw developer it will emulate the DRO setting in their default raw conversion, but there it can be undone easily.
    My Pics
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: DRO settings

    Thanks. Any idea about C1 that Sony is promoting?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Can't help you. I have mine turned off and never use it ever. I don't do HDR in post either. Hate that look

    I have mine turned off also but have been curious about this. I might have to do some testing and see what it does.

    I tend to be a simple shooter and have much of the camera effects, sharpening, noise reduction all turned off. But every now and then I play with some of the creative styles though I find I never use those images.
    the HepKitty

  9. #9
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: DRO settings

    I'm a firm believe in my signature quote below
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Thanks. Any idea about C1 that Sony is promoting?


    I change it in C1 all the time. Have DRO on Auto.

    Independent of this question I use standard set to (-3,0,+3), peaking to red and low intensity.
    I don't use the jpgs, but these settings seem to help me better to focus manually.

    Does anybody else do something along these lines?
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  11. #11
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: DRO settings

    I have not done it myself but I have read folks making JPEG changes to creative style that help with focusing. I would think sharpness and contrast increases would do that. I use yellow for focusing peaking and change I ntensity from low to medium depending on light. Outdoors I go low but indoors I go to medium. I can see yellow better also.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have not done it myself but I have read folks making JPEG changes to creative style that help with focusing. I would think sharpness and contrast increases would do that. I use yellow for focusing peaking and change I ntensity from low to medium depending on light. Outdoors I go low but indoors I go to medium. I can see yellow better also.
    Thanks Guy. I agree sharpness on high, but contrast as low as possible to increase sensitivity to find the highest micro contrast areas. Otherwise you will see a lot of red or yellow or white, no?
    With best regards, K-H.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    B&W helps a lot in my personal experience to nail focus.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    B&W helps a lot in my personal experience to nail focus.
    Thanks Ario. Have not tried that yet. Will now try that next! Thanks again.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Ario. Have not tried that yet. Will now try that next! Thanks again.
    I have set the Control Wheel to change the Creative Styles, Standard and B&W are just close each other and it is very easy tho select B&W when I need it.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Guy. I agree sharpness on high, but contrast as low as possible to increase sensitivity to find the highest micro contrast areas. Otherwise you will see a lot of red or yellow or white, no?
    You could be correct. Worth sticking on tripod try both ways and see if more or less peaking is happening .
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  17. #17
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Guy. I agree sharpness on high, but contrast as low as possible to increase sensitivity to find the highest micro contrast areas. Otherwise you will see a lot of red or yellow or white, no?
    You could be correct. Worth sticking on tripod try both ways and see if more or less peaking is happening .

    I would think we want to see less as that would increase the sensitivity
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I change it in C1 all the time. Have DRO on Auto.

    Independent of this question I use standard set to (-3,0,+3), peaking to red and low intensity.
    I don't use the jpgs, but these settings seem to help me better to focus manually.

    Does anybody else do something along these lines?
    To make this work are you shooting RAW+JPEG, K-H ?

    TIA
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  19. #19
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    The JPEG settings are used to render the LV even if the camera is set to record only Raw.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    To make this work are you shooting RAW+JPEG, K-H ?

    TIA
    Thanks Bart. I don't think so. IIRC I picked this technique up on dpreview when I first got my NEX-5N. Have used it ever since. Indeed I sometimes shoot RAW+JPG, but for other reasons, namely to compare AWB.

    I just tried the following on my A7r2:

    Set Quality to RAW+JPG.
    In Creative Style select B/W, set to (-3,-,+3).
    Change Quality to RAW.

    I still see B/W images displayed on the LCD or in the EVF.

    Do you get the same behavior? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    The JPEG settings are used to render the LV even if the camera is set to record only Raw.
    Many thanks Ario. +1!
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Bart. I don't think so. IIRC I picked this technique up on dpreview when I first got my NEX-5N. Have used it ever since. Indeed I sometimes shoot RAW+JPG, but for other reasons, namely to compare AWB.

    I just tried the following on my A7r2:

    Set Quality to RAW+JPG.
    In Creative Style select B/W, set to (-3,-,+3).
    Change Quality to RAW.

    I still see B/W images displayed on the LCD or in the EVF.

    Do you get the same behavior? TIA.
    K-H, I take it that you're referring to the images you took while quality was set to RAW+JPEG ?

    Kind regards.
    Bart ...

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    K-H, I take it that you're referring to the images you took while quality was set to RAW+JPEG ?

    Kind regards.
    No, by images I meant LiveView. Sorry, I should have said:

    "I still see B/W LiveView displayed on the LCD or in the EVF."

    Basically I am confirming what Ario pointed out.
    With best regards, K-H.

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post

    I just tried the following on my A7r2:

    Set Quality to RAW+JPG.
    In Creative Style select B/W, set to (-3,-,+3).
    Change Quality to RAW.

    I still see B/W images displayed on the LCD or in the EVF.

    Do you get the same behavior? TIA.
    To come back to your question, K-H: yes, same behaviour here - it's the Creative Style choice that determents the monitor's (LCD/EVF) view/output.
    Still have to try your suggestion (B/W,-3,-,+3) on manual focusing.

    Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    To come back to your question, K-H: yes, same behaviour here - it's the Creative Style choice that determents the monitor's (LCD/EVF) view/output.
    Still have to try your suggestion (B/W,-3,-,+3) on manual focusing.

    Kind regards.
    Many thanks Bart. Excellent!
    The credit for the suggestion (B/W,-3,-,+3) on manual focusing really should go to Ario Arioldi.
    I am glad he pointed out to use B&W.

    The nice thing about it is that everything is in black and white tones except the focus peaking.
    I have chosen red for that and I can see the faintest traces of it in the B&W Creative Style.
    Marvelous! Thanks Ario.

    I can use all the help I can get when focusing the APO-R 280/4, a truly amazing lens and one of my favorites that responds to the subtlest of focusing adjustments.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DRO settings

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Many thanks Bart. Excellent!
    The credit for the suggestion (B/W,-3,-,+3) on manual focusing really should go to Ario Arioldi.
    I am glad he pointed out to use B&W.

    The nice thing about it is that everything is in black and white tones except the focus peaking.
    I have chosen red for that and I can see the faintest traces of it in the B&W Creative Style.
    Marvelous! Thanks Ario.

    I can use all the help I can get when focusing the APO-R 280/4, a truly amazing lens and one of my favorites that responds to the subtlest of focusing adjustments.
    Then all credits to Ario as well
    Bart ...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •