The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander CV15mm Version III Petal Removal

Don Libby

My original intent was to use a step up ring to fit the 67mm filters I already use on the 2-lenses (color,590,720T and 830nm) until I found 2-55mm filters sitting in a junk drawer (720 & 830nm) so now I'm thinking of using a 52-55 step ring which might actually work better on this lens. The good news is that I already have the step rings so all I need to do is wait for the lens to get here and I do the cutting before I have to make up my mind.

Don Libby

The lens got here safe and sound about an hr ago. I had forgotten how tiny these lenses are!

Didn't even both testing it just jumped in with both feet and began cutting the petals off beginning with the smaller one before tackling the 2-larger/longer ones. All in all (and a huge amount of thanks to Guy's earlier write up) everything went very smoothly. I have both a 52-55 and 52-67 step up rings since I have a couple 55mm IR filters left. The 52-55 fit as it should screwing in tight so I decided to try that first. Using a 830nm filter I noticed a slight amount of vignette that couldn't be corrected all the way. Next up is the 55-67 which I want to use as I have more IR filters in this size. The first thing I noticed is that it wouldn't thread onto the lens as the shade (what's left of the petals) sticks out a little. I could grind this down some more however I tried using a combination of a 52mm ring and the 52-67 attached to that. It worked! This combination actually works slightly better still with a slight vignette however it's easily fixed in C1. I'll throw some samples up shortly; in the meantime the little lens works!

Don :grin:

Don Libby

There seems to be a difference between the V II and III that's more than the filter size. After cutting the petals off there was still enough of the hood left to make it difficult if not impossible to thread the 52-67mm step up ring on the lens (a 52 filter ring fit okay). I tested everything using a 52mm ring attached to a 52-67 step up and ended up with vignette that was difficult to fix. Took a look at the lens again and saw I still had a small "lip" that was left over from cutting off the petals. Not certain if I didn't cut enough of the ring off to begin with or this is just the nature of the beast of the V II and 52mm; anyway I slowly began cutting down to where the filter thread is flush. I can now thread the 52-67mm ring directly t the lens and which there continues to be a slight amount of vignette it is easily fixable in C1. I'm also using "Pentax SMC-DA 15mm F4 AL Limited" as a lens correction in C1-Pro which seems to work well enough until I can find a replacement.

I haven't bothered with and "before" shots as Guy mastered that however here's a couple "after" shots from this morning. What I've seen/learned so far is that the V II lens will work almost as well as the larger V III for a fraction of the cost.

Don Libby

Just one "proof of life" sample as the rest will be put up on the IR thread.

This was taken yesterday, f/8 1/320 ISO 100 (handheld) Full Spectrum

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Don looks really nice . If you want to paint anything than head to hobby lobby and get model car flat black paint . Works great

Great work thanks for posting this

SamSS

I heard through the grapevine that Benro is currently testing in Vietnam and about to release filter attachment specifically made for Voigtlander CV15mm Version III

Don Libby

I've been having so much fun/luck with the 15mm that I'm thinking of the 12mm; the good news on the 12mm is that the filter is 67mm which is the size of my IR filters.

SamSS

I would like to update that the Benro FH100V1 filter holder made for Voigtlander CV15mm Version III is now selling in Vietnam since last month for $94 USD equivalent.
It looks like mostly made from aluminum. I've search on the internet and it's not available anywhere else.

From my understanding is that these photographers and distributor in VN originally requested Benro to make it for them.
Hopefully, Benro would expand its distribution by the time they release the new CV15mm Version III in FE version.

Sorry, it's in Vietnamese.

SamSS

I'm going to Vietnam next week. Does anyone has a request for Benro filter holder to fit Voiglander 15mm version III?
To my understanding is that it uses 100mm filter x 2mm thickness. Please contact via PM.

kuau

Workshop Member
I would like to update that the Benro FH100V1 filter holder made for Voigtlander CV15mm Version III is now selling in Vietnam since last month for $94 USD equivalent.
It looks like mostly made from aluminum. I've search on the internet and it's not available anywhere else.

From my understanding is that these photographers and distributor in VN originally requested Benro to make it for them.
Hopefully, Benro would expand its distribution by the time they release the new CV15mm Version III in FE version.

Sorry, it's in Vietnamese.
Did this Benro filter holder ever come out? I can't find it anywhere?

ggibson

I see one titled: AV15E : Adapter of Laser100SE holder for Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 E mount

Looks like you also need to buy that Laser100SE holder part to use it.

You could also use Sony's Digital Filter app. I haven't bothered to buy any ND grads for my lenses since I can just use the app.