Site Sponsors

Thread: Voigtlander CV15mm Version III Petal Removal

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Voigtlander CV15mm Version III Petal Removal

I bought the VC 15mm III a little time ago and I love this lens on the A7RII body but what always bugged me was this fixed hood. The lens itself take a 58mm thread but its buried inside this hood and a little tough to deal with. But more important the hood really has no effect outside of maybe protecting the lens element. Which is great but I really do not want it and want to use bigger filters that match my Batis 25 and 85 which are 67mm. I want a new combo of hood because i rarely use front lens caps as i always have my hoods on. Less caps to deal with but I also want to use 1 size ND filters , Polarizers or graduated filters so 67mm will work on all three lenses plus anything smaller than 67mm with a step down adapter .

So here is the stock image of the hood. I put in red lines on where i want to cut the Petals . Im trying to go as flat as possible becuase I will be putting a 58mm to 67mm step up ring and want it to be as flush to the lens as possible.

So here is what I am after on the cut

So in prepping the lens I taped everything off and I had a old lens cap that I taped down to protect the glass and the filter threads . Than I used a Dremel with a cut off blade and just cut each petal off. Now as far as this setup it worked but I have a better idea which I did after the cut . Get two 58mm filters get cheap ones they will get ruined. But screw in two filters throw a lens cap on and you can cut right to those filters without any damage to the lens filter threads and the glass.

Here is what I did initially

But if your going to do this look at this and I much prefer to see folks use this idea instead as its much safer on the cut , the grinding and the wire brushing.

So just imagine the Petals are still in place here

Notice the one filter thread you see under the tape having these two filters in place stops you from going into the glass area and protects the lens threads themselves. I did okay with the above setup but I recommend this more

Here you can see after the cut what the lens looks like and the setup

Where I got in trouble was with the wire brush. I had the two filters in place and lens cap which protected the lens itself but I did not put gaffers tape on the area where the white dot sits and when I used the wire brush it slipped to the sides and buffed it up . That was my one fatal mistake . So take gaffers tape right up to the cut than use the Dremel with the wire brush and if you slip than your only hitting tape. Its not as bad as it sounds. I just need to paint that now

Couple more shots after the cut, grinding and wire brushing

Now the whole idea here is the area that has been cut , and such will never be seen becuase I will be screwing down the 58-67mm step up ring and frankly folks i won't be taking it off either. It will become a permanent piece so I am screwing it down very tightly and you will see why in a minute.

No wi used a Sharpie Enamel Paint and it worked great except its glossy so in this area which does not get seen I don't really care but Testers Has a Black Enamel Matte paint that Im going to fix the sides with where I buffed it up. It has the gloss on it now and don't look to bad but I'm going to repaint that part. Bunch of images coming

Here you can see the 58 to 67mm step up ring in place PLUS one 67mm empty filter ring. Why this you ask well its my new hood. Together with the step up and one filter ring I now have a new hood in place. To use filters without vignetting I just remove the one filter ring and replace with a ND filter lets say. I get a hood and i get to use 67mm filters

Now with one filter ring removed I can use the polarizer

At the moment I am using my Batis lens cap until a Push on cap gets here

Link to Push on lens Cap. Its 67mm but it fits over the filter so it is really 70mm

B+W Slip-On Lens Cap #305 for 67mm Slim-Line Filter 65-014141

So here is where I will repaint with the Matte paint, its just too shiny for me. See arrow that band around lens. This is my fault I did not tape that off when using the wire brush and I slipped.

So there you have it. Now let me add something here on options. I am choosing to have that extra 67mm empty thread ring as more of a hood before it hits any Vignetting so right there its all clear. But I do have to take that empty ring off to use a filter. You do not have to have that empty 67mm filter ring there if you do not want it You can go step up ring only if you want and you could use a Lee filter system for 67, 72 or 77 depending how big you really want to go. Im happy with 67mm as it keeps the look of the lens nice and small and I like the Extra filter ring there as the hood. The 58-67 is not that big a jump with regards to size and it looks pretty dang cool too.

One thing I did do is screw down the adapter ring down pretty tight so when i grab that extra ring to take off for filter needs it just unscrews very easy than pop on whatever filter I want.

Also you do not have to even keep the step up ring on but it does hide all the conversion stuff and looks very clean with the ring on. You have some options to decide here. This is just my choice
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 19th September 2015 at 10:32.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Voigtlander CV15mm Version III Petal Removal

For some folks they would never do this and I totally understand i just ruined a 700 dollar lens. Fully aware of that but I am all about function and not so much about my gear looking good. Sure I'm anal as the next person and like things to look nice but end of day it needs to work they way i want. This solves a need, is it perfect no it is not is it completely ugly well only you can decide that . Once i clean up the paint it will look better but more important now i can go buy the expensive ND and Polarizers that I want because I only have to buy one size and that was the end goal. The bonus was the new hood which I think looks pretty darn nice
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Guy. I understand about the filter issue. I have 77mm 10 stop ND, and circular polarizer filters. I carry step rings from 49mm up to 72mm. I sometimes use a Sharpy Pen to blacken the inside of scratched or dinged metal lens hoods. I am one of those that puts on UV filters on all my lenses because of the environment where I live and photograph (NJ barrier island where there is salt spray, and blowing extremely fine sand).
    Best regards from NJ
    Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea Guy. If my 28D had threads I would have cut the hood as well instead of using superglue for the 150. Either way it's all about what we need to do to accomplish the end result which is using the lens to suit our needs.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

wow, nice job.

I did not realize the hood was fixed. That's a shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there an option to send the lens into a camera tech, and have him dismantle the lens and then just slip off the petal ? I understand the joy of doing things with my own hands as well though.

Alternatively, could one cut through the base of the petal (black lines)and then just bend it off?

I dont have the lens so can't actually look at it from a tactile 3d perspective to see if this would work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petal hood removal.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	95084  

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SK Grimes is doing a conversion for Fred over at FM. Now if you cut it like you say you lose where the white dot goes but it's a great question. I'm really not sure . Let me look at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like it's installed through the back and there is a lip that won't let it go forward than either epoxied in or something of that nature so it don't twist. My bet if you did figure a way it would look bad with a big slot after the aperture ring. It's certainly a question for VC. But a very interesting idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure I would take a chance unless I see the design on paper so I know for sure what's there.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

as a machinist (not having the lens in front of me) i would chuck the petal end in a lathe and carefully part off making a perfectly straight cut, holding the lens the entire time with my hand. about a 2 minute operation
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol. Well you have the talent and the machines my friend.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great example of thinking outside the box!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, might make for a good subsection to share what others have done cutting, taping, gluing, etc to make things work. May help someone else take the plunge...

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went to a hobby shop bought flat black paint by testers. Model cars place and hand painted it and looks really good now. Even put a new white dot. Get a photo up later

Tools and supply

Dremel with cut off blade, grinding tool and wire brush attachments
    Gaffers tape
    2 58mm dead filter rings
    Testers flat black enamel paint
    58-67 step up ring
    67mm blank ring only

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a good idea that I've been looking for a chance to try it myself. I just bought a Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar 15mm F/4.5 Lens for a decent price that also includes the E-mount. The lens should be here by the end of the week and all the additional supplies (step up ring to 67mm, couple cheap filters and a cheap lens cap off Amazon) will be here in a couple days.

I'll try and document the cutting process and share here as well. I've been thinking of this since Guy first posted with the plan of using the lens on my converted A7r. Super wide 15mm infrared/full spectrum...

Thanks Guy for giving me the idea.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great Don get some cheap throw away 58 filters rings as your back stop for cutting. This way you protect the filter threads and also the front element in case you slip

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've ordered a step ring and 2-cheap filters along with a throwaway lens cap shortly after I bought the lens (under $400with the adaptor ). Actually everything should run close to $410.

I've reread your process twice this morning and will do it again before the first cut, should be fun.

Where else would you find someone crazy enough to spend $400 with the intention of cutting into it just to shoot super wide IR?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I've ordered a step ring and 2-cheap filters along with a throwaway lens cap shortly after I bought the lens (under $400with the adaptor ). Actually everything should run close to $410.

I've reread your process twice this morning and will do it again before the first cut, should be fun.

Where else would you find someone crazy enough to spend $400 with the intention of cutting into it just to shoot super wide IR?
    I'd love to know where you found the version III lens for $400.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I'd love to know where you found the version III lens for $400.
    It isn't, just double checked the eBay listing and it shows 52mm filter. Still good enough for what I plan to do with it...

I do need to reorder a couple things
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about doing this with my Ultron 21/1.8 for exactly the same reasons - the ability to use my Lee system filters with it.

Although CV probably think they are doing us a favour with the inbuilt hoods, actually they ain't and a removable hood would be worth paying extra for in the original price.

LouisB

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My original intent was to use a step up ring to fit the 67mm filters I already use on the 2-lenses (color,590,720T and 830nm) until I found 2-55mm filters sitting in a junk drawer (720 & 830nm) so now I'm thinking of using a 52-55 step ring which might actually work better on this lens. The good news is that I already have the step rings so all I need to do is wait for the lens to get here and I do the cutting before I have to make up my mind.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The lens got here safe and sound about an hr ago. I had forgotten how tiny these lenses are!

Didn't even both testing it just jumped in with both feet and began cutting the petals off beginning with the smaller one before tackling the 2-larger/longer ones. All in all (and a huge amount of thanks to Guy's earlier write up) everything went very smoothly. I have both a 52-55 and 52-67 step up rings since I have a couple 55mm IR filters left. The 52-55 fit as it should screwing in tight so I decided to try that first. Using a 830nm filter I noticed a slight amount of vignette that couldn't be corrected all the way. Next up is the 55-67 which I want to use as I have more IR filters in this size. The first thing I noticed is that it wouldn't thread onto the lens as the shade (what's left of the petals) sticks out a little. I could grind this down some more however I tried using a combination of a 52mm ring and the 52-67 attached to that. It worked! This combination actually works slightly better still with a slight vignette however it's easily fixed in C1. I'll throw some samples up shortly; in the meantime the little lens works!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There seems to be a difference between the V II and III that's more than the filter size. After cutting the petals off there was still enough of the hood left to make it difficult if not impossible to thread the 52-67mm step up ring on the lens (a 52 filter ring fit okay). I tested everything using a 52mm ring attached to a 52-67 step up and ended up with vignette that was difficult to fix. Took a look at the lens again and saw I still had a small "lip" that was left over from cutting off the petals. Not certain if I didn't cut enough of the ring off to begin with or this is just the nature of the beast of the V II and 52mm; anyway I slowly began cutting down to where the filter thread is flush. I can now thread the 52-67mm ring directly t the lens and which there continues to be a slight amount of vignette it is easily fixable in C1. I'm also using "Pentax SMC-DA 15mm F4 AL Limited" as a lens correction in C1-Pro which seems to work well enough until I can find a replacement.

I haven't bothered with and "before" shots as Guy mastered that however here's a couple "after" shots from this morning. What I've seen/learned so far is that the V II lens will work almost as well as the larger V III for a fraction of the cost.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just one "proof of life" sample as the rest will be put up on the IR thread.

This was taken yesterday, f/8 1/320 ISO 100 (handheld) Full Spectrum

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don looks really nice . If you want to paint anything than head to hobby lobby and get model car flat black paint . Works great

Great work thanks for posting this

Post Thanks / Like

I heard through the grapevine that Benro is currently testing in Vietnam and about to release filter attachment specifically made for Voigtlander CV15mm Version III

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've been having so much fun/luck with the 15mm that I'm thinking of the 12mm; the good news on the 12mm is that the filter is 67mm which is the size of my IR filters.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to update that the Benro FH100V1 filter holder made for Voigtlander CV15mm Version III is now selling in Vietnam since last month for $94 USD equivalent.
    It looks like mostly made from aluminum. I've search on the internet and it's not available anywhere else.

From my understanding is that these photographers and distributor in VN originally requested Benro to make it for them.
    Hopefully, Benro would expand its distribution by the time they release the new CV15mm Version III in FE version.

Sorry, it's in Vietnamese.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to Vietnam next week. Does anyone has a request for Benro filter holder to fit Voiglander 15mm version III?
    To my understanding is that it uses 100mm filter x 2mm thickness. Please contact via PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
    I would like to update that the Benro FH100V1 filter holder made for Voigtlander CV15mm Version III is now selling in Vietnam since last month for $94 USD equivalent.
    It looks like mostly made from aluminum. I've search on the internet and it's not available anywhere else.

From my understanding is that these photographers and distributor in VN originally requested Benro to make it for them.
    Hopefully, Benro would expand its distribution by the time they release the new CV15mm Version III in FE version.

Sorry, it's in Vietnamese.
    Did this Benro filter holder ever come out? I can't find it anywhere?
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

You can find filter holders for all 3 CV lenses on ebay. Not Benro necessarily though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    You can find filter holders for all 3 CV lenses on ebay. Not Benro necessarily though.

I did a search on eBay for "voightlander 15mm filter holder" nothing came up. There was one for the 10mm lens I saw
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

I see one titled: AV15E : Adapter of Laser100SE holder for Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 E mount

Looks like you also need to buy that Laser100SE holder part to use it.

You could also use Sony's Digital Filter app. I haven't bothered to buy any ND grads for my lenses since I can just use the app.