The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences

fmueller

Well, whaddya know...just got notice from Adorama that the Batis 25 ordered on 8/24 will ship tomorrow.

:clap::clap:

So glad more people are finally getting their hands on these lenses. The 25mm Batis is a joy every time I use it.

Here's a 7-shot handheld panorama of San Francisco, taken from the Coit Tower.

Batis 25mm on A7Rii @ ƒ10

Here's a much larger version

And a 100% crop...

Golden Gate Vista-crop2.jpg

Annna T

Mmm .. That thread is now almost the last one, down of the list of forum threads.
A sign of how it is difficult to find some in stock ?

I think that one-two forumers were able to get a 25mm ? (They seem even rarer than the 85mm) and I have a question :

How trustful is the distance scale on the LCD ? Is it OK for zone focusing ?

I ask because I have a few Olympus lenses which are focusing by wire, but where a clutch mechanism allows you to switch directly from AF to MF and vice versa. Alas the distance scale appearing on the barrel in MF is too imprecise for meaningful zone focusing.

So I'm really curious about how well that work on the Batis lenses, especially with the 25mm.

dmward

Annna,
I don't do much zone focusing so your question intrigued me.
The readout is to a tenth of a foot or meter. It also shows the near and far zone of focus.

I did some manual focusing on various points and the readout seemed reasonably accurate. The Peaking indiction in the EVF seemed reasonably consistent with the readout as well.

I did all of this at relatively close focus distances wide open.

Stopped down and at longer focus distances I expect that it will be a good indiction.

I've never thought of focus markings on lenses as being more than a rough guide.

dmward

Does the fly-by-wire focus feel or behave any differently than Sony / Zony lenses?
Not that I've noticed. As mentioned above, I don't do a lot of MF so its not something to which I pay attention.
One thing I've noticed with both Sony and Batis is that the more quickly the focus ring is turned the faster it seems to move. Conversely, when fine tuning and moving it slowly it reduces the movement of the focus plane which makes precise focus a bit easier.

Paul David

Mine's on the way back to B&H

I was pretty excited when it came, as I ordered long ago.

Unfortunately the right side, about 2/3 down, was quite unsharp. This was verified in many photos, even if I focused directly on that area. The center was slightly better than the 16-35mm, but the right side was unacceptable until f/5.6 and never was better than the 16-35mm. I'm afraid I don't have time (or know how) to post the photos on the board.

So, I'll see how the replacement does.

Paul

The Ute

Just a heads up for those looking.
There appears to be a Batis 25 for sale on Ebay.
The seller says it is in new condition having been used only once.

gregkoz

Re: Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences - Buying Japan

OK - was on B&H since 9-12 for the 25mm Batis. Was told 1 month ago that I'd get lens with 11-26 shipment. Well - 11-26 went by & I called them on Sunday 11-29. Probed and was told that they're still working on summer orders ........ forgeddaboutitttt.

I checked eBay and found a reputable seller from Japan - "e_product_japan". They had positive feedback and comments like, "unbelievably fast shipping". I took the bait and sent $1,488.00 - BUT their lens includes $55 shade that B&H charges extra for.

The lens was shipped today EMS - arriving by Wednesday. We'll see - but so far so good. I didn't pay that much of a premium and don't have to wait until 2016. Again - we'll see how this works out.

gDallasK

My 85 arrived today - and despite the fact that we are being battered by Storm Desmond so no outdoor photography - I am so impressed at how sharp this lens is. And I love the creamy bokeh. I'm not missing my Canon 85 1.2 at all. Particularly as the Batis can't weigh much more than half what the Canon did!

Now I have both lenses (after waiting nearly six months for my order to be fulfilled) I can't wait to see what Zeiss will come up with next. How about a 50mm too? That would be just perfect