The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences

gregkoz

Re: Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences - Buying Japan

OK - was on B&H since 9-12 for the 25mm Batis. Was told 1 month ago that I'd get lens with 11-26 shipment. Well - 11-26 went by & I called them on Sunday 11-29. Probed and was told that they're still working on summer orders ........ forgeddaboutitttt.

I checked eBay and found a reputable seller from Japan - "e_product_japan". They had positive feedback and comments like, "unbelievably fast shipping". I took the bait and sent $1,488.00 - BUT their lens includes $55 shade that B&H charges extra for.

The lens was shipped today EMS - arriving by Wednesday. We'll see - but so far so good. I didn't pay that much of a premium and don't have to wait until 2016. Again - we'll see how this works out.
Back for an update - Very nice lens - good dealer. I have my Batis 25mm. I'd be waiting another month or so from B&H. And oh, did I mention, shade was included vs pulling it & selling it separately.

sjg284

Ordered the 85 @ Berger Brothers today
Will see how long it takes
Still torn between Batis 25 & Loxia 21 on the wide end.

Batis 85 has such universal praise I had to pull the trigger...

Re: Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences - Buying Japan

I'd be waiting another month or so from B&H. And oh, did I mention, shade was included vs pulling it & selling it separately.
B&H does NOT charge extra for the lens shade. It is included in the box. (Maybe you saw that they show replacement shades on the same page as the lens listing and thought it was not included?)

SKueh

Re: Batis 25 in stock at Adorama

Adorama shows 25mm Batis in stock at the moment -

http://www.adorama.com/zi252e.html
Thanks for the tip. I placed an order last night. It went through but was told this morning the lens is in back order. Bad luck!
Anyhow, Mike, I understand that you have a Sony FE 28/2 before. Sold it and replaced it with the 25mm Batis. In your opinion, how does the 28/2 compare with the 25mm Batis, image quality wise? I like the compact size of the 28/2 for traveling purpose, but like to know how good it is. Since you have used both lenses, may be you can share your expertise opinion with us, if you do not mind?

Thanks.

In your opinion, how does the 28/2 compare with the 25mm Batis, image quality wise? I like the compact size of the 28/2 for traveling purpose, but like to know how good it is.
In my opinion, the Batis is a significantly better lens. It is sharp even wide open, has beautiful OOF rendering and that well known Zeiss 'pop' and build quality. On the other hand, it's quite a bit larger than the 28mm and cost four times as much. I liked the 28mm too, but was drawn to the wider view of the 25mm, plus the above advantages.

I think it comes down to preferred focal length and price. Both are nice lenses. But if you can afford it, the Batis is a special lens.

k-hawinkler

Thanks for the tip. I placed an order last night. It went through but was told this morning the lens is in back order. Bad luck!

Thanks.
Thanks. Same here, they sent an email to let me know.
I won't cancel my order right away, maybe I get luckier with their next shipment.
However, if I can buy the lens somewhere else then I would want to cancel.
It seems one can only do that over the phone.
Is there a way to cancel the item online with Adorama?
If there is, I haven't found it. TIA.

blamau

Hello from Italy,

after some months of useless hunt,I grabbed an almost new batis 25 mm .I got it only one week before leaving for India .
I am very satisfied from the results .In particular I appreciated the possibility to focus very close to the subject.
I used my Batis 25 mainly with sony alpha mark 2 and seldom with sony alpha 7r .I am looking for a new batis 85 but at the moment is quite impossible to get it in Italy .
you can find more pics in my new website.
Thanks

https://maurizioblasetti.smugmug.com/

ZEISS BATIS 2.jpgZEISS BATIS.jpgbatis 3.jpg

drevil

Staff member
i just received my batis 85mm, had it shipped from guangzhou to beijing.

except one small scuff on the barrel(why i will have the lens exchanged) it makes a good impression.

but i have one question to others.
i tried to activated the function to focus on the eye, but my a7rII tells me the lens is invalid, is the batis not supported by this function?

best regards

mirko

drevil

Staff member
ok i assigned the eye focus to a custom button and it works now.
but in the menu, the "eye focus" option still tells me the lens is invalid....strrrrange

UHDR

i ordered my 25mm from London Camera Exchange (London branch) on 17th Dec and got it the week after on 21st Dec. :grin:

drevil

Staff member
i just found out that this seems to be a feature for A mount lenses

according to the sony alpha forum

tn1krr

i just found out that this seems to be a feature for A mount lenses

according to the sony alpha forum
"Eye-Start AF" is indeed feature that can be only used when LA-EA2/4 SLT-Adapter and an A Mount lens is mounted. This option just make AF activate when one looks through EVF, nothing to do with focusing into subjects eye.

"Eye AF" on the other hand does not have/need (personally I would not mind option to have "Eye AF on shutter button" that would make camera always try to Focus on the eye) any specific config on the Menu, just assign it into Custom button and press that button to activate. Eye AF is only available to native FE mount autofocus lenses.

These two things and their naming are one nice example on how Sony UI engineers keep the discussions on the internet boards active; I'm not sure if there is any way they could have named these items more confusingly :D