The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences

davidstock

Adorama's website shows the Batis 25mm as being in stock and ready for delivery. I just bought one and got a confirmation email. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it will actually ship...

--d

jim251

After only a 7-week wait my B25 from B&H arrived today so maybe availability will start to improve for those still on someone's preorder list. Hang tight - it's definitely worth the wait...

During the last few weeks I rented the B25, B85 and FE90, although at different times - loved the B25 so much I cancelled the Loxia 21 preorder and found (not surprisingly) that for what I do the FE90 is a better choice. So for me it's no more cage-match/comparos for a while (whew!)

ohnri

After only a 7-week wait my B25 from B&H arrived today so maybe availability will start to improve for those still on someone's preorder list. Hang tight - it's definitely worth the wait...

During the last few weeks I rented the B25, B85 and FE90, although at different times - loved the B25 so much I cancelled the Loxia 21 preorder and found (not surprisingly) that for what I do the FE90 is a better choice. So for me it's no more cage-match/comparos for a while (whew!)
I also prefer the FE90 to the B85. I just like the rendering more and the ability to shoot close is so useful.

At the wide end, I have been happy with the combination of the 16-35/4 and 35/1.4

I have heard so much about the B25 that it seems tempting but now there is a rumor of a forthcoming B18, which I would prefer.

With a summer trip coming up I also keep thinking about the 24-70/4. Or even, gasp, the 24-240 since it is a family trip and not a photo expedition.

Too few available lenses has become too many. LOL

Enjoy your B25, everyone that reports on it appears to really enjoy it!!

-Bill

k-hawinkler

Re: Batis 25 in stock at Adorama

Thanks. Same here, they sent an email to let me know.
I won't cancel my order right away, maybe I get luckier with their next shipment.
However, if I can buy the lens somewhere else then I would want to cancel.
It seems one can only do that over the phone.
Is there a way to cancel the item online with Adorama?
If there is, I haven't found it. TIA.
Adorama is coming through.
My Batis 25 is in the mail, should arrive tomorrow. :clap:

So, all in all, a 2 week wait! Not bad at all.
Maybe supply is catching up with demand. All good!

Last edited:

davidstock

My 25mm is supposed to be delivered today, and a few other people report the same thing. I also got a phone call from a brick and mortar store offering me a Batis 85mm lens from their waiting list. (I already had bought one elsewhere.) It's pretty likely that some kind of shipment arrived and went on sale in the U.S. yesterday. Anybody still looking: I recommend making some phone calls to stores right away.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
My 25mm is supposed to be delivered today, and a few other people report the same thing. I also got a phone call from a brick and mortar store offering me a Batis 85mm lens from their waiting list. (I already had bought one elsewhere.) It's pretty likely that some kind of shipment arrived and went on sale in the U.S. yesterday. Anybody still looking: I recommend making some phone calls to stores right away.
I ordered the 25 from Adorama yesterday claiming it was in stock. Today was notified it was "back ordered", with no clue of how long it might be, only the offer to cancel the order if I want. I'll probably give it a few days, and then cancel it and look elsewhere ... pretty misleading. These guys have things automated enough they know when the last unit was ordered, so allowing me to order it borders on unethical.

k-hawinkler

Wayne,

The same happened to me 2 weeks ago. I didn't cancel and today my Batis 25/2 arrived.
Adorama must have gotten a new shipment a couple days ago that sold out right away.
Probably to folks like me who barely missed the last shipments, like you now.
Good luck.

sjg284

Unfortunately I've always found Adorama's inventory management to be a bit more.. optimistic than B&H.
I generally go by the rule of - if it's out of stock/backordered @ B&H, it probably is at Adorama too..

I ordered the 25 from Adorama yesterday claiming it was in stock. Today was notified it was "back ordered", with no clue of how long it might be, only the offer to cancel the order if I want. I'll probably give it a few days, and then cancel it and look elsewhere ... pretty misleading. These guys have things automated enough they know when the last unit was ordered, so allowing me to order it borders on unethical.

k-hawinkler

The distance scale on my Batis 25/2 is only visible when I half press the shutter button. Is that correct functioning?

Also, aside from the invoice, there was no other information sheet in the package. Is that as it should be? No warranty card, nothing!

TIA for any feedback.

dchew

The distance scale on my Batis 25/2 is only visible when I half press the shutter button. Is that correct functioning?

Also, aside from the invoice, there was no other information sheet in the package. Is that as it should be? No warranty card, nothing!

TIA for any feedback.
That sounds fishy. On the right side inside the box there is a little white flap that flips up. In there is a significant instruction book, test certificate, warranty card and an offer for 3yr extended warranty.

Not sure about the distance scale; still playing around with mine.

Dave

k-hawinkler

That sounds fishy. On the right side inside the box there is a little white flap that flips up. In there is a significant instruction book, test certificate, warranty card and an offer for 3yr extended warranty.

Not sure about the distance scale; still playing around with mine.

Dave

Thank you Dave. I found the documents. :thumbup:

k-hawinkler

By default, the distance scale is visible in manual focus mode. It isn't automatically displayed in AF mode. You can change the default settings to show the distance scale all the time or not show it at all. The default is what I use.

Joe
Many thanks Joe. How do I change the settings? TIA.

dchew

If you turn it past infinity in MF and keep turning you will get the ON/MF/OFF option. If you turn it to min focus and keep turning it will change from meters to feet.

Dave

k-hawinkler

If you turn it past infinity in MF and keep turning you will get the ON/MF/OFF option. If you turn it to min focus and keep turning it will change from meters to feet.

Dave

Thanks again Dave. Much appreciated. I switched the lens to ON.

dchew

After a few days with the Batis, I am impressed. I have the Zeiss 25 f/2 ZE (for Canon). I think secretly I wanted the Batis to be not as good. It is shorter but fatter than the ZE and much lighter, but all my other lenses are manual focus, and I love the focus ring on the ZE. For whatever reason, maybe the throw or the variable fly-by-wire feature, I struggle manually focusing autofocus lenses on the a7 series.

Well, the ZE is slightly better in the center and has what I will call a bit better contrast OOC, but nothing that can't be duplicated with some minor slider adjustments. However, at anything beyond f/2, the Batis is significantly better at the edge and in the corners.

In my opinion the Batis follows the published MTF curve very well; sharpens up nicely by f/4, with a little astigmatism hanging around way in the corners. Very nice lens.

Dave

davidstock

In my opinion the Batis follows the published MTF curve very well; sharpens up nicely by f/4, with a little astigmatism hanging around way in the corners. Very nice lens.

Dave
I agree. My informal tests show impressive sharpness across the whole image field. Nice color rendition and out of focus areas. Easy to hold and use on an A7RII. An added plus: close focus capability. Which the A7RII takes advantage of. For instance, I can use lock-on continuous autofocus (and IS, of course) to get sharp hand-held images in dim light at a distance of 8".

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I had both of these early on and I have been impressed ever since I got them. I think I said buy don't ask questions. Lol

sjg284

I made the mistake of pre-paying at a dealer in December for the 85mm.. with an ETA of last week...
Who is now telling me that I have about 10 people ahead of me, some waiting since September.
New ETA doesn't sound promising.. easily 4-8 weeks more.