Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    I want to use a "dumb" (no electrical contacts) adapter to mount old manual focus lenses. I want to be able to use magnified view to confirm sharp focus. How do I initiate magnified view? I also would like to be able to toggle from standard view to magnified view, then back again while shooting, without digging through countless menues. Is this possible? The little instruction book that comes with the camera is not much use here.
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave in NJ

  2. #2
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    easy to do;
    just program the function you want to one of the c buttons; done through the menus on the camera

  3. #3
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Dave, you can program one of the customizable buttons to magnify the view for manual focus lenses. I use the C1 button (Menu>Custom Key Settings>Custom Button 1>Focus Magnifier) for that purpose. That works well with my Voigtlander 15mm VM lens and a "dumb" Metabones adapter.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    I have the same settings for this function as Joe...... very handy as its just a slight move of the index finger from shutter to C1. I highly recommend downloading the manual and help guide from http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...=3#/manualsTab. Even they are a little clumsy to menuver through but are the best available.

    Victor

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Dave, you can program one of the customizable buttons to magnify the view for manual focus lenses. I use the C1 button (Menu>Custom Key Settings>Custom Button 1>Focus Magnifier) for that purpose. That works well with my Voigtlander 15mm VM lens and a "dumb" Metabones adapter.

    Joe
    Thanks all. I am embarrassed to post some of these elementary questions, but at age 78 the menues overwhelm me. Again, thanks for tolerating my questions, but once I figure it out, I think I do successful work here:
    Www.modernpictorials.com
    Dave
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Dave, I don't know if you saw my post in another thread, but I put a chrome button on C1 (stick-on from rluther.com). It makes it easier to feel the button without taking my eyes off the viewfinder.
    Make sure that you use the focus peaking to get you in the ballpark before you magnify.
    -Cindy

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Dave, I don't know if you saw my post in another thread, but I put a chrome button on C1 (stick-on from rluther.com). It makes it easier to feel the button without taking my eyes off the viewfinder.
    Make sure that you use the focus peaking to get you in the ballpark before you magnify.
    -Cindy
    Thank you Cindy, great idea.
    Dave

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    130

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Is it just me but manual focusing with the focus magnifier is more difficult at the first magnification level, than at the second (highest magnification)? At the first magnification level, the image seems soft even when it is in focus (& yes I have the EVF diopter adjusted correctly for my eyes).
    Is there anyway to bypass the first magnification level?
    Thanks in advance

  9. #9
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Shac View Post
    Is it just me but manual focusing with the focus magnifier is more difficult at the first magnification level, than at the second (highest magnification)? At the first magnification level, the image seems soft even when it is in focus (& yes I have the EVF diopter adjusted correctly for my eyes).
    Is there anyway to bypass the first magnification level?
    Thanks in advance
    No and no. It's not just you. Users are complaining about the first magnification level all over the Web. And there's no way to bypass it (that I'm aware of).

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    130

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Joe - thank you (I guess ) I still have a few days to make up my mind before I'd have to return mine .

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Thanks all. I am embarrassed to post some of these elementary questions, but at age 78 the menues overwhelm me. Again, thanks for tolerating my questions, but once I figure it out, I think I do successful work here:
    Www.modernpictorials.com
    Dave
    It's not generally my style of photography, but I looked through your galleries and found several photos that are very appealing. Thanks for posting the link! I love seeing good work, regardless of what equipment or what style it might be.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    It's not generally my style of photography, but I looked through your galleries and found several photos that are very appealing. Thanks for posting the link! I love seeing good work, regardless of what equipment or what style it might be.

    G
    Thanks Godfrey. I am an Amateur, but I am having a blast in my retirement.
    Best to you
    Dave

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Shac View Post
    Is it just me but manual focusing with the focus magnifier is more difficult at the first magnification level, than at the second (highest magnification)? At the first magnification level, the image seems soft even when it is in focus (& yes I have the EVF diopter adjusted correctly for my eyes).
    Is there anyway to bypass the first magnification level?
    Thanks in advance
    It depends on the contrast of the lens of which the old manual lenses are generally lacking. Put the "settings effect" to ON and jack up the contrast to the maximum.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    130

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Thanks Vivek. I have settings on and will try higher contrast. I'm using M and R lenses (all relatively modern formulations - but not the latest in M's).
    At least the highest focus magnification is good - just wish you could deprogram the first mag level

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Shac, I tried the FE 55/1.8 in manual focus mode and the first mag is superb. It isn't that great with M or R lenses (it gets better with jacked up contrast settings that does not affect the RAW files, btw).

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    130

    Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

    Vivek - thank you again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •