Site Sponsors

Thread: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

Post Thanks / Like

A7RII manual focus with old lenses

I want to use a "dumb" (no electrical contacts) adapter to mount old manual focus lenses. I want to be able to use magnified view to confirm sharp focus. How do I initiate magnified view? I also would like to be able to toggle from standard view to magnified view, then back again while shooting, without digging through countless menues. Is this possible? The little instruction book that comes with the camera is not much use here.
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave in NJ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7RII manual focus with old lenses

easy to do;
    just program the function you want to one of the c buttons; done through the menus on the camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, you can program one of the customizable buttons to magnify the view for manual focus lenses. I use the C1 button (Menu>Custom Key Settings>Custom Button 1>Focus Magnifier) for that purpose. That works well with my Voigtlander 15mm VM lens and a "dumb" Metabones adapter.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same settings for this function as Joe...... very handy as its just a slight move of the index finger from shutter to C1. I highly recommend downloading the manual and help guide from http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...=3#/manualsTab. Even they are a little clumsy to menuver through but are the best available.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Dave, you can program one of the customizable buttons to magnify the view for manual focus lenses. I use the C1 button (Menu>Custom Key Settings>Custom Button 1>Focus Magnifier) for that purpose. That works well with my Voigtlander 15mm VM lens and a "dumb" Metabones adapter.

Joe
    Thanks all. I am embarrassed to post some of these elementary questions, but at age 78 the menues overwhelm me. Again, thanks for tolerating my questions, but once I figure it out, I think I do successful work here:
    Www.modernpictorials.com
    Dave
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, I don't know if you saw my post in another thread, but I put a chrome button on C1 (stick-on from rluther.com). It makes it easier to feel the button without taking my eyes off the viewfinder.
    Make sure that you use the focus peaking to get you in the ballpark before you magnify.
    -Cindy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Dave, I don't know if you saw my post in another thread, but I put a chrome button on C1 (stick-on from rluther.com). It makes it easier to feel the button without taking my eyes off the viewfinder.
    Make sure that you use the focus peaking to get you in the ballpark before you magnify.
    -Cindy
    Thank you Cindy, great idea.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it just me but manual focusing with the focus magnifier is more difficult at the first magnification level, than at the second (highest magnification)? At the first magnification level, the image seems soft even when it is in focus (& yes I have the EVF diopter adjusted correctly for my eyes).
    Is there anyway to bypass the first magnification level?
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shac View Post
    Is it just me but manual focusing with the focus magnifier is more difficult at the first magnification level, than at the second (highest magnification)? At the first magnification level, the image seems soft even when it is in focus (& yes I have the EVF diopter adjusted correctly for my eyes).
    Thanks in advance
    No and no. It's not just you. Users are complaining about the first magnification level all over the Web. And there's no way to bypass it (that I'm aware of).

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe - thank you (I guess ) I still have a few days to make up my mind before I'd have to return mine .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Thanks all. I am embarrassed to post some of these elementary questions, but at age 78 the menues overwhelm me. Again, thanks for tolerating my questions, but once I figure it out, I think I do successful work here:
    Www.modernpictorials.com
    Dave
    It's not generally my style of photography, but I looked through your galleries and found several photos that are very appealing. Thanks for posting the link! I love seeing good work, regardless of what equipment or what style it might be.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    It's not generally my style of photography, but I looked through your galleries and found several photos that are very appealing. Thanks for posting the link! I love seeing good work, regardless of what equipment or what style it might be.

G
    Thanks Godfrey. I am an Amateur, but I am having a blast in my retirement.
    Best to you
    Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shac View Post
    Thanks in advance
    It depends on the contrast of the lens of which the old manual lenses are generally lacking. Put the "settings effect" to ON and jack up the contrast to the maximum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vivek. I have settings on and will try higher contrast. I'm using M and R lenses (all relatively modern formulations - but not the latest in M's).
    At least the highest focus magnification is good - just wish you could deprogram the first mag level

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shac, I tried the FE 55/1.8 in manual focus mode and the first mag is superb. It isn't that great with M or R lenses (it gets better with jacked up contrast settings that does not affect the RAW files, btw).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek - thank you again