The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Walkabout camera

miska

This choice is, for me, a difficult exercise. I should somehow know myself better :)
I know that:
- I am not happy with just one focal length
- I prefer a zoom, but can live with a selection of fixed focal length (3 or 4)
- Mostly, I am happy with a 24-70 (FF equiv) focal length range. Except that sometimes I "see" a picture where I would need a 150-200mm, and then am a bit frustrated if I can get it.

The interesting new dimension in this, with the A7R, is that one can crop quite a bit more than with the previous generation of cams, so that could allow to lighten the load a bit by dropping a lens or two.

Really the choice between the 24-70 and the Fixed focal lengths (Batis & co) is not easy. Throw in the lust for a zoom and / or sometimes longer focal length - and there you go.

Oh well, at least when I can't decide, I don't spend money :ROTFL:

miska

One thing I would gain with native lenses (I now only use Canon with an adapter) is decent AF.

So how good is AF (on the original A7R, not the II) with native lenses ?
How well does the eye-AF for example ? I find that I am ok with manual focus (or really slow AF) in most cases, but moving people is a real challenge...

Annna T

One thing I would gain with native lenses (I now only use Canon with an adapter) is decent AF.

So how good is AF (on the original A7R, not the II) with native lenses ?
How well does the eye-AF for example ? I find that I am ok with manual focus (or really slow AF) in most cases, but moving people is a real challenge...
Like you say : no problem for outdoor. I find it very fast. But indoor when the light is not that strong, it become hit and miss with children.

Here is one where focus went on the hand instead of the nearest eye (not because the AF goofed, but because the A7r AF become slow when the light diminish and those kids are constantly in motion) :

Émilie showing an early interest in photo books and photos reviews