Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Techart adapter and Contax G question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Techart adapter and Contax G question

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I thought maybe it would be helpful to list the steps here. Thanks to Chad Wadsworth who set me in the right direction when I got mine.
    (.....)
    Press UPDATE on the App. You will wait till the device is found. Once you see that the device is found, don't touch anything until the message is given that the update was successful. (The update took a while, so be patient.)
    Many thanks Cindy for your help. Alas I'm still getting problems, although the situation has improved somewhat.

In fact I don't think that any updates took place. I was able to get the list of updates, to connect the tablet and adapter (once I understood you had to shut the camera down) and the firmware was writen and verified successfully. But I did never get a feedback that the installation had successfully ended. The last time I waited for more than an hour and the confirmation never appeared. (The picture below show the last line of the feedbacks received). I will send it to the address you gave above in this thread.

Things however have improved a little : for a while I was no more able to connect the 45mm. So I couldn't even set the aperture to F90 because I didn't see any F value. Now I have determined that trying to mount the 90mm throws the adapter out of function. I tried several tricks to get it working again : mounting the lenses on A7r with either adapter (they work), mounting the older TGA1-B on the A7rII and the different lenses; they work if you change the AF system to contrast detect, although slowly, like on the A7r. Since the 45mm is working again, I tried to update the firmware another time, but the process still hooks after the installing begin. I waited a full hour without success. The last line I got isn't the confirmation of a successful installation, or is it ?

Last edited by Annna T; 1st November 2015 at 04:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Try removing the camera battery, wait a few secs, replace battery and try again. I had some problems with my 90 struggling to focus and reverting to contrast detect focus, but resetting with the battery removal fixed it. My 35 and 45 work very well in phase detect mode.
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences and for your suggestions.

I had to remove the battery per force several times : when I wasn't getting any image on the display, shutting down the camera wouldn't work : as soon as I took out the lens, the motor of the adapter begun spinning like mad, even though the body was switched off. The only way to stop it was to remove the battery. I had already tried that trick before, just to see.

I don't know how I managed that (exchanging lenses, bodies and adapters in the hope to reset things), but anyway : the adapter is now working fine with the 45mm. Indeed, it is great. But when I put the 90mm on again, not without fear, while powering the camera, there was a big clack (not sure whether it was from the shutter, the adapter or the lens.. And it was apparent that the 90mm didn't connect with the body. It is weird because I can connect it to the A7r and the A7rII with the TGA-1B adapter (the old one you can't update). When you choose contrast detect it will work on the A7rII too, though slowly.
    Last edited by Annna T; 1st November 2015 at 05:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you sure that your device (phone or pad), isn't going into a sleep/lock mode? Mine was, the first time that I performed the update, and mine never finished. On my iPhone, it was Auto-lock under the General tab in Settings.

I would start over one more time and follow the instructions. If that doesn't work, contact the manufacturer. He emailed a response within 24 hours.

You said "remove the battery per force". I hope that you did not mean that literally. I have several off-market brand batteries. I had one that would not come out of my A7II a week ago. I had a terrible time getting it out. This is the second time this has happened with an off-brand battery. I looked at the battery and it had a crack in the case. I tossed it. I have read that others have had the same problem. When your battery puffs up and doesn't go in easy, toss it!

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences and for your suggestions.

I had to remove the battery per force several times : when I wasn't getting any image on the display, shutting down the camera wouldn't work : as soon as I took out the lens, the motor of the adapter begun spinning like mad, even though the body was switched off. The only way to stop it was to remove the battery. I had already tried that trick before, just to see.

I don't know how I managed that (exchanging lenses, bodies and adapters in the hope to reset things), but anyway : the adapter is now working fine with the 45mm. Indeed, it is great. But when I put the 90mm on again, not without fear, while powering the camera, there was a big clack (not sure whether it was from the shutter, the adapter or the lens.. And it was apparent that the 90mm didn't connect with the body. It is weird because I can connect it to the A7r and the A7rII with the TGA-1B adapter (the old one you can't update). When you choose contrast detect it will work on the A7rII too, though slowly.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Cindy for your help. Alas I'm still getting problems, although the situation has improved somewhat.

In fact I don't think that any updates took place. I was able to get the list of updates, to connect the tablet and adapter (once I understood you had to shut the camera down) and the firmware was writen and verified successfully. But I did never get a feedback that the installation had successfully ended. The last time I waited for more than an hour and the confirmation never appeared. (The picture below show the last line of the feedbacks received). I will send it to the address you gave above in this thread.

Things however have improved a little : for a while I was no more able to connect the 45mm. So I couldn't even set the aperture to F90 because I didn't see any F value. Now I have determined that trying to mount the 90mm throws the adapter out of function. I tried several tricks to get it working again : mounting the lenses on A7r with either adapter (they work), mounting the older TGA1-B on the A7rII and the different lenses; they work if you change the AF system to contrast detect, although slowly, like on the A7r. Since the 45mm is working again, I tried to update the firmware another time, but the process still hooks after the installing begin. I waited a full hour without success. The last line I got isn't the confirmation of a successful installation, or is it ?

That is the correct message that the update was successful. There is no other confirmation. Sounds like your 90 is not mating properly on then adapter. Did you try attaching the adapter to the lens before mounting on the camera?
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Are you sure that your device (phone or pad), isn't going into a sleep/lock mode? Mine was, the first time that I performed the update, and mine never finished. On my iPhone, it was Auto-lock under the General tab in Settings.

I would start over one more time and follow the instructions. If that doesn't work, contact the manufacturer. He emailed a response within 24 hours.

You said "remove the battery per force". I hope that you did not mean that literally. I have several off-market brand batteries. I had one that would not come out of my A7II a week ago. I had a terrible time getting it out. This is the second time this has happened with an off-brand battery. I looked at the battery and it had a crack in the case. I tossed it. I have read that others have had the same problem. When your battery puffs up and doesn't go in easy, toss it!
    Thanks for still trying to help. I have auto lock set to on, but think it is only for the password : if the iPad goes into sleep, you have to feed in your password again (?) I have set the sleeping delay to never. But I may try that again with auto lock deactivated too.

When I wrote "per force" that wasn't physically, but in the sense that I was constrained to take the battery out in order to stop the spinning of the adapter's little motor. That motor started to spin all by himself when I took the lens out of the adapter and this inspite of the camera being powered off before I took the lens out. Weird not ? It is as if something was blocking the focusing motor of the adapter and releasing the lens gave it a starting signal.

The 45mm is working fine by now. But the lens I really want to use is the 90mm. I will contact Techart and see what they have to say about all that.

Sorry to hear about your batteries problem. I have only Sony batteries for now : when the A7r was issued there were no third parties' batteries available here for a long time, si I had to get Sony's ones.

But I know what you mean : I almost got a similar problem with a third party battery on the E-M5. The battery had got hot and expanded and it didn't come out easily. I let things cool down for a while, but even so it was hard to get it out. Like you I put this battery aside and don't use it anymore.
    Last edited by Annna T; 1st November 2015 at 06:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is the correct message that the update was successful. There is no other confirmation. Sounds like your 90 is not mating properly on then adapter. Did you try attaching the adapter to the lens before mounting on the camera?
    Great ! Thank you Carl !

If it was written "firmware installed" or "install successful" it would have been clearer. I was waiting for a last line telling explicitly that the installation was successful. But since the 45mm is now working properly again I assumed it may be the case.

Yes I seem to have problem with both the 28mm and 90mm on the TA-GA3. It is weird because all three lenses work OK with the old adapter on both bodies. Too bad because the 90mm is the one I really wanted to get to work. I'm already covered at the wide and standard end.

The instructions for the Techart stipulates that one should first mount the adapter on the body and then the lens. But yes, I have tried doing it in reverse order. Same results.

Thanks for the help though. I will probably leave things at that for now. I think both the lenses and the adapters have tolerances that may or may not play nicely together.
    Last edited by Annna T; 1st November 2015 at 06:56.

Post Thanks / Like

My old Kipon adapter on my CG90mm is looking better and better ......... Anna I really hope this all works out for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    My old Kipon adapter on my CG90mm is looking better and better ......... Anna I really hope this all works out for you!!!
    The older Techart smart adapter (TGA-1B) works with all three lenses on the A7rII, provided that I set focus mode as contrast detect instead of phase detect. But phase detect would be great to have with the 90mm since it is much faster.

Thank you for the good wishes. The glass as of yet isn't full but not empty either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In case anyone ever needs to adjust one of their lenses to the techart adapter for A7rII, these are the instructions from - breguetcamera:

If the auto focus doesn't accurate, then i will solve how to adjust your camera until accurate focusing.
    1) You need to turn off the AEL settings on your camera.
    2) If you found out that focus point is step forward, please take a photo with each aperture between F21 and F51 by auto focus mode, then the last photo will record the most accurate focusing.
    3) If you found out that focus point is step backward, please take a photo with each aperture between F64 and F90 by auto focus mode, then the last photo will record the most accurate focusing.
    4) Turn off the camera, and then restart the camera.
    would you please test it again and see if it's all right?

-Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just put my 90 on the A7rII and was shooting around my office. It is just amazing. I hope that you can work this out. This might seem like a dumb question, but you are turning the lens on and off by holding the silver ribbed area, aren't you? That screw has to get engaged in the slot. You are feeling that solid click when you mount the lens?

The older Techart smart adapter (TGA-1B) works with all three lenses on the A7rII, provided that I set focus mode as contrast detect instead of phase detect. But phase detect would be great to have with the 90mm since it is much faster.

Thank you for the good wishes. The glass as of yet isn't full but not empty either.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, I am essentially like Anna in that I only want that adapter to function on my CG 90mm even though I do own a 21, 28, 35, 45,and the 90 in that series. I do not like the way the wider 3 work on digitals, I replaced the 45 with the FE55 and am happy with that. If I can get AF on the cg90 then there is no need for the FE90 or Batis 85..... Then I can focus on a longer focal length les like the 70-200 f4 or if a 135 or 200 is released in this forecasted lens announcement.

That said I sure hope the B&H sold golden eagles when they arrive are supplied with their latest firmware to avoid the various issues we are reading about when updating. I am surprised they don't specify to hold your tongue a certain way and do the chicken dance while updating

Anyway it is reassuring to hear when everything goes right the 90 and adapter are smoking good!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi fellow Sony-Contax users,

For those who have both A7r and A7rII, is there any autofocus improvement using the Techart 3 with A7r?

I'm having A7r and a bunch of Contax G lenses, and wondering should I get the latest Techart 3 version or settle or the Techart 2 (which will be about 2/3 of the price). I wont be looking to upgrade to A7rII any time soon.

Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Hi fellow Sony-Contax users,

For those who have both A7r and A7rII, is there any autofocus improvement using the Techart 3 with A7r?

I'm having A7r and a bunch of Contax G lenses, and wondering should I get the latest Techart 3 version or settle or the Techart 2 (which will be about 2/3 of the price). I wont be looking to upgrade to A7rII any time soon.

Many thanks!

I don't think it makes a difference : the A7r unlike the A7r2 doesn't have the phase detect photosites on its sensor. So you can only work with contrast detect, which is what the TA-G1B does already. I have both adapters and both cameras and the newer adapter didn't seem to make a difference when mounted on the A7r. It is only faster with cameras offering hybrid AF, aka phase detect plus contrast detect. So after the announced firmware update of the A7II, it may work faster with that camera too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, thats what I thought as well. So I might just get a Techart 2 for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Thank you, thats what I thought as well. So I might just get a Techart 2 for the time being.
    Yes, the former version will work with your A7r, just read carefully what the different vendors say and compare the different pictures to be sure about what you get. The last version comes with a Bluetooth chip inside of the adapter and its firmware can be updated with a phone if needed (in case you get another FE or E-mount body supporting hybrid AF in the future). The older version has to be sent to the manufacturer to get updated.

Also these Techart adapters can be tricky with some lenses fitting better than others.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a note from me as Cindy sent us admin a email on how GetDPI should be. This is a prime example of a excellent thread with learning and sharing. Thanks Cindy for bringing this up.

Now this is GetDPI at its best. Have fun and Thank You
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly on topic, but wanted to give a big thumbs up to the Contax 45mm with Fotasy manual focus adapter (cost, about $40).

I used it as part of a lightweight hiking kit in Utah last week on the A7RII, and was extremely impressed with the results. Great great lens.

The focus ring on the adapter was somewhat stiff to start out with, and there was a point where it seemed to bind, but after continued use it loosened up significantly and worked perfectly well for me.

It's a pain to mount on the lens, though, so if I pick up a 90mm, I'll probably get another adapter--maybe the techart, since AF would be a nice bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear all, I will be looking to buy a Tech Art 2, so if anyone is thinking of parting with their old one please give me a shout ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Anna, You get your issues resolved yet with the CG90mm and version III new firmware????

I called B&H and talked to them asking if they require their manufacturers to supply their store with products that have the most recent firmware in them. They stated they were not able to do this as firmware changes sometimes rapidly. I agreed it can but at the time of shipment they should assure the latest and greatest versions. I warned them that I have seen user's with some serious firmware uploading issues and they should beware that if they accept products without the current firmware this is most likely going to be a headache for some of their customers and B&H's customer service department. The only way I would buy this adapter is through B&H...... no way with what I have read would I deal with them directly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anna, You get your issues resolved yet with the CG90mm and version III new firmware????

I called B&H and talked to them asking if they require their manufacturers to supply their store with products that have the most recent firmware in them. They stated they were not able to do this as firmware changes sometimes rapidly. I agreed it can but at the time of shipment they should assure the latest and greatest versions. I warned them that I have seen user's with some serious firmware uploading issues and they should beware that if they accept products without the current firmware this is most likely going to be a headache for some of their customers and B&H's customer service department. The only way I would buy this adapter is through B&H...... no way with what I have read would I deal with them directly.
    Well, I left it at that :

The adapter works well with the 45mm F2 now. It should have got the latest firmware installed because PDAF is working and I don't get unstoppable hunting when the subject is too near.

I didn't put the 90mm on it again, because it created havoc with the adapter, preventing it to work with the 45mm.

I didn't contact the manufacturer/seller yet. So I don't have more info for the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

So it has the update but when other lenses are attached it currupts the firmware so it will no longer work properly on any of the lenses.... That is not good at all.

B&H will have fun selling this one ..... 2015 and some Chinese companies still think they can get away with their customer base being their personal beta testers. DJI out of China is IMO exactly the same with their drones... Let's put a product out there that sounds good and let people buy it and help us iron out the R&D we don't want to pay for or the poor quality control we want to turn a blind eye to. The only thing I have ever had to return to B&H was a DJI drone and had to do this 3 times to just get one that worked well enough that I ended up taking a beating on reselling it to someone I knew just to stop the aggravation of ownership. What some of these Asian technology companies get away with in USA markets is a crime. A USA based company trying their business model would be in court and out of business so fast it would make their heads spin. But our courts won't touch a Chinese based company even when they build a exact copy of a USA designed, patented, and produced vehicle none the less a drone that doesn't do what is claimed or a lense adapter that has junk firmware.

Anna I really hope someone can help you with this issue soon but your experience has finalized my decision not to get it and to get the 90 macro OEM lens and be done with it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Talking Re: Techart adapter and Contax G question

took a leap, ordered one from hong kong via amazon last monday. said it would ship 11/27-12/15

today it arrived.

no chance to check it out yet, though it did come with a usb drive.

my intent is to use it with the 90 contax g

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by jlm; 10th November 2015 at 06:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    took a leap, ordered one from hong kong via amazon last monday. said it would ship 11/27-12/15

today it arrived.

- - - Updated - - -

today it arrived.

Good luck !

On the USB drive there is a manual (in Chinese, but lot of drawings). And a program for updating. You should also have got a Bluetooth circuit, more or less the size of the USB key. You don't need it if you make the updates with a phone or a tablet. I think it is for people who need to update from a computer. I didn't use it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

still trying to figure out how to mount the lens to the adapter...grrr!

also:
    the manual focus wheel on the adapter is freewheeling completely; doesn't seem mechanically connected to anything?
    the little drive tab on the adapter is stuck pointing vertically (in rotation); can't see how it would engage the drive fork on the lens, and seems to be preventing the lens from rotating fully into position.

(on my metabones G-Nex manual focus adapter, rotating the focus ring will rotate the little drive tab on the adapter)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

got it to work, sort of .

had to turn the drive fork on the lens to the same rotation position as the adapter (using fingernail) still a bit tweaky, but lens clicked on to the adapter with confidence.

mounted on camera, it will auto focus, but hunts and steps in in small jumps (not satisfactory, but i have not updated firmware yet.)

manual focus wheel on adapter works fine!
    Last edited by jlm; 10th November 2015 at 10:13.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tried this,

mounted lens to adapter to camera, turned on and set aperture to f90. took a shot, turned off camera, removed lens from adapter, leaving adapter on camera and camera off. loaded app on Iphone, bluetooth on, phone sleep turned off, picked TA-GA3 ver 2.1.0, hit update and it is ticking away, writing firmware right now

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

tried this,

mounted lens to adapter to camera, turned on and set aperture to f90. took a shot, turned off camera, removed lens from adapter, leaving adapter on camera and camera off. loaded app on Iphone, bluetooth on, phone sleep turned off, picked TA-GA3 ver 2.1.0, hit update and it is ticking away, writing firmware right now
    When you re-mount the lens set the aperture to maximum on camera (2.8 for the 90mm) and leave it there. Set lens aperture to whatever value you need. You should get fast Phase Detect AF now.
    Carl
    Gallery

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

seems to work, though i think all the shots are done at the f stop set on the lens, so if you need f2.8 for critical focus, you have to set the shooting fstop after focusing.

to check, i set the lens at f2.8, the camera to f11 and peeked in the lens when shooting. ( aperture priority in action)

Post Thanks / Like

Setting the lens to its widest aperture.... Focus.... Then turn to the shooting aperture is how I have used these CG lenses with adapters since the original Nex5

I don't understand your last comment in the previous post... By setting the lens to max aperture and the camera to say f11 does the aperture blades move in the lens when the shot is made or not using A mode?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just tried it again, and it is confusing:

lens set at f2.8, autofocus on and working, camera set at f11. peeked into the lens while taking the shot and the aperture blades DID NOT close down at all.

Post Thanks / Like

K thanks Jim ....

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

to further clairify, since we are so spoiled by auto-everything:

i use A priority and would expect the shutter to be auot set according the the light reaching the sensor...
    so open lens to f2.8 and auto focus with light shutter press (2.8 gives most accurate focus), then manually stop down the lens to the desired aperture, camera sets the shutter speed according to the camera f-stop, so you have to match the lens setting and make the shot.

any f-stop set in the camera is controlling the shutter speed in A, so you have to set both on the lens and in the camera

if i were using the old Metabones manual adapter: in A mode
    set f-stop on lens, camera sets shutter speed according to the camera f-stop so that has to match the lens, manually focus, make the shot.

still getting used to this

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

had a quick moment to take a shot:

in M mode, set s speed at 1/250, camera shows f5.6, but underexposed 2 stops according to vewfinder metering if lens is at 5.6. so left camera at 5.6, but set lens at 2.8: perfect exposure with camera meter and the final shot. exif data show 1/250 and f5.6 (the camera setting)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

had a quick moment to take a shot:

in M mode, set s speed at 1/250, camera shows f5.6, but underexposed 2 stops according to vewfinder metering if lens is at 5.6. so left camera at 5.6, but set lens at 2.8: perfect exposure with camera meter and the final shot. exif data show 1/250 and f5.6 (the camera setting)
    John,

My understanding is that you must set the camera to the widest f value available (f/2.8 for the 90mm) and leave it there. Then you select the aperture you want for your exposure and set that with the lens aperture ring. The camera will always record the max aperture in exif and not the actual exposure aperture set on the lens.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I would think Carl's explanation pretty much is how I would expect it to work. Set camera aperture to widest setting and use the lens to set aperture.

What bothers me is this company sells internationally but fails to supply easily understood instructions in the countries language their customers are located in. Using the adapter or updating firmware should not be a game of Russian Roulette with 3 rounds in the cylinder which gives the customer only a 50-50 chance of success. Just how much would it cost them to have a usable translation of their owners manual. They are not stupid obviously about the technology involved in their product but I see not having English, French, Spanish, German translations in their owners manual is a major issue. One should not have to guess and hope while doing a chicken dance to get a product to work as described. That is business 101

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, I hear you, seven asian languages on the tech sheet, and the english version was gibberish, but the upgrade as i described it was pretty painless and kind of unique with the bluetooth connectivity. and for $300 bucks, it arrived in a week or less from HK and is a nicely made product

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

My understanding is that you must set the camera to the widest f value available (f/2.8 for the 90mm) and leave it there. Then you select the aperture you want for your exposure and set that with the lens aperture ring. The camera will always record the max aperture in exif and not the actual exposure aperture set on the lens.
    Carl, You told me to do it this way and it is working perfectly no matter if I am in M or A mode.

to further clairify, since we are so spoiled by auto-everything:

i use A priority and would expect the shutter to be auot set according the the light reaching the sensor...
    so open lens to f2.8 and auto focus with light shutter press (2.8 gives most accurate focus), then manually stop down the lens to the desired aperture, camera sets the shutter speed according to the camera f-stop, so you have to match the lens setting and make the shot.

any f-stop set in the camera is controlling the shutter speed in A, so you have to set both on the lens and in the camera

if i were using the old Metabones manual adapter: in A mode
    set f-stop on lens, camera sets shutter speed according to the camera f-stop so that has to match the lens, manually focus, make the shot.

still getting used to this
    John, I don't have to "open lens to f2.8 and auto focus with light shutter press (2.8 gives most accurate focus), then manually stop down the lens to the desired aperture". I put my 90mm on the A7rII with the latest Techart updated adapter. I set the camera to aperture f/2.8 and forget about it. From there I set my aperture on the lens to my setting. After that it operates as I would any other lens in M or A and depending on if I have ISO set to AUTO or a setting.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I just read the customer reviews on that Amazon Techart Contax G to Sony E mount adapter........you are far braver than I am. 70% of the ratings are 3 stars and under with 30% of these at a 1 star rating....... That is a really poor rating for any product. In the one star ratings one is pre the new firmware and 2 after the firmware where one adapter completely fell apart and the owner was just glad all parts fell outside instead of inside the camera body. The other did the firmware and the camera can't see the adapter anymore.

B&H is going to have fun with this product if and when they ever get them in..... I am going to pass on this one.... the 90mm OEM Macro will be my next purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

still trying to figure out how to mount the lens to the adapter...grrr!

also:
    the manual focus wheel on the adapter is freewheeling completely; doesn't seem mechanically connected to anything?
    the little drive tab on the adapter is stuck pointing vertically (in rotation); can't see how it would engage the drive fork on the lens, and seems to be preventing the lens from rotating fully into position.

(on my metabones G-Nex manual focus adapter, rotating the focus ring will rotate the little drive tab on the adapter)
    One thing that might solve the mounting issue is that Contax G lenses were never to be removed from the body like normal lenses. Do not hold the black area and twist. You need to have your hand on the ribbed band behind the aperture ring. When you release the lens, it will be locked into position to mount the next time.

I suppose that when you mount the lens on the adapter the first time, that driver could in the wrong position. Then you need to manually line up the "driver/drive tab" on the Techart with the "groove/ drive fork" on the lens. Try turning that ribbed band to the left till it locks, first.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 12th November 2015 at 21:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would think Carl's explanation pretty much is how I would expect it to work. Set camera aperture to widest setting and use the lens to set aperture.

What bothers me is this company sells internationally but fails to supply easily understood instructions in the countries language their customers are located in. Using the adapter or updating firmware should not be a game of Russian Roulette with 3 rounds in the cylinder which gives the customer only a 50-50 chance of success. Just how much would it cost them to have a usable translation of their owners manual. They are not stupid obviously about the technology involved in their product but I see not having English, French, Spanish, German translations in their owners manual is a major issue. One should not have to guess and hope while doing a chicken dance to get a product to work as described. That is business 101
    It is a terrible manual. I'm hoping that we can post enough info in this thread that we can get everyone here up and running.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy there is a bunch of good information on this thread... What worried me is Anna's situation with the 90mm.... It is the only CG lens I might of kept in digital service if the DeoTech adapter could give good AF performance on that lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy there is a bunch of good information on this thread... What worried me is Anna's situation with the 90mm.... It is the only CG lens I might of kept in digital service if the DeoTech adapter could give good AF performance on that lens.
    Jim, Since you already have the lens, you might want to consider that for only a $300 investment, you could give it a try. You will have our support, and you can always return the adapter to B+H, if it does not work out.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, I truly appreciate the offer of assistance with this product... I truly do! But, we have a regular here right now who is afraid to swap from a 45 to a 90mm lens on her adapter in fear she will once again lose what she finally achieved with the adapter and her 45mm. I don't see others helping resolve this issue for Anna so the product can be used as described.

Cindy, read the reviews on this product on Amazon. Granted bad news travels faster than good but a adapter falling apart while in use???? And the only positive was no parts fell inside the camera? Really? In 2015 a manufacturer dealing in a monopoly on a world market can get away with some transgressions just not as many or to the degree we see on this thread or the Amazon reviews and expect a flock of new informed customers. This thread and the Amazon reviews showed me it is much wiser to spend $1000 on a great OEM 90mm lens than $300 on a POS adapter from a company who isn't even willing to create a usable users manual in the language of the countries they want to sell to. Techart or DeoTech or what ever name they want to call themselves tomorrow can keep their product and I will spend my money on products that review 90%+ at 4 stars or more and offer USA based warranties that one doesn't have to be bilingual to understand how to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy, I truly appreciate the offer of assistance with this product... I truly do! But, we have a regular here right now who is afraid to swap from a 45 to a 90mm lens on her adapter in fear she will once again lose what she finally achieved with the adapter and her 45mm. I don't see others helping resolve this issue for Anna so the product can be used as described.

Cindy, read the reviews on this product on Amazon. Granted bad news travels faster than good but a adapter falling apart while in use???? And the only positive was no parts fell inside the camera? Really? In 2015 a manufacturer dealing in a monopoly on a world market can get away with some transgressions just not as many or to the degree we see on this thread or the Amazon reviews and expect a flock of new informed customers. This thread and the Amazon reviews showed me it is much wiser to spend $1000 on a great OEM 90mm lens than $300 on a POS adapter from a company who isn't even willing to create a usable users manual in the language of the countries they want to sell to. Techart or DeoTech or what ever name they want to call themselves tomorrow can keep their product and I will spend my money on products that review 90%+ at 4 stars or more and offer USA based warranties that one doesn't have to be bilingual to understand how to use.
    Of course, Jim. You need to do what is right for you. I am happy with mine. I want to use this fine lens with AF. Everyone has the right to decide for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are sounding more angry than me ! The problems are probably not only due to the adapter, but to the fact that those lenses can be a little tricky to operate. Everything depends upon that little screw and depending on its state it will work better or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a little Anna I may be parrelleling your and others experiences with this product as I and a horde of other had with another Chinese manufacturers product with a similar mindset DJI. Hey, I'm old we do these things I truly would of liked to of gotten a fully functional golden eagle that arrived with a firmware that works and just be able to attach and enjoy it. I see at their site it was recently a out of stock item so there must not be a backlog of product so there was no reason for Jim to get one last week with old firmware if it came from the manufacturer.

When I did a Amazon search I used Deo Tech initially and got no results then I tried Techart and read the reviews ... This thread and yours and others experiences on this thread appears to be not abnormal. The sad thing with the exception of the one complaint about the product falling apart (which does not give a warm and fuzzy with metal or greased parts falling within the sensor box of a $3200 camera) the rest of the issues circle around the software and the poor instructions to upgrade and use the product. A very low cost simple thing for a concerned manufacturer to resolve. It could be as easy as putting a well written off file on their website in several common worldwide languages. Would take a day or so at most and qualified translators.

I know bad news travels far faster than good and usually people with poor experiences will rate a product more often than those who have good experiences. But take this thread we have 3 who seem to have no issues and two that are. 40% who are not totally satisfied with the product. Not good.

I bought the ContaxG2 when it was introduced as a set with the 28, 45, 90, and the flash. I soon added a 35, and 21mm. Learned very quickly how to mount and unmount these lenses. Once the original Nex5 came out I got one of them and ordered a Kipon adapter to use my CG glass on it. Back then I could use the 28( if stopped down a bit) 35, 45, and 90 with only a bit of smearing and color issues in the two widest. NEX 7 narrowed my field to the 45 and 90. This a7rII and the 55mm f1.8 has narrowed it to just the 90. Would of been nice to add AF for $300 and not have to buy a $1000+ lens in 85 or 90. But I want hasseless usage and I know Murphy's Law and my experiences with Chinese based technology companies, I surely woul be the third poster on this thread to have firmware issues. Don't think I would have lens mounting issues as I have a lot of time behinds CG adapted and unadapted glass but who knows I could if they really have design issues in that area.

I am far more disappointed because of the results you and others achieved than actually angry. I wanted the experience to be without issues and painless for everyone who buys them.. Sadly we witness that is not the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My initial problem (why I started this thread) was that the 45mm that I purchased, would not mount. The fault was with the lens, which had a driver that was almost frozen in place. I sent it back and the replacement worked. In the meantime, the 90mm arrived and mounted. I updated the firmware. I could not manual focus. I contacted the seller. He put me in contact with the manufacturer. Manufacturer answered my email within a few hours and told me to try re-installing the firmware. I realized then that my phone was going to sleep and stopping the download. Once that was sorted out, everything was perfect. Yes, better instructions would have saved some hassle. That is why I wanted the instructions documented in this thread so that the next one to try would have smoother sailing.
    There are 3 screws on each side of the adapter that hold it together. The inside is tight against the flange. The bit with the contacts could possibly come loose and fall in, but it is against the electronics on the flange, so that is not high on my worry list.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, Thanks for the details on the assembly of this product... if you read the one star review the writer near made it sound like it imploded

Hey, a question for you and other owners....... I remember earlier about complaints with manual adapters about oil or grease leaking on the flange, sensor, or lens. My Kipon has not once exhibited any tendency for this though I have seen on very hot days a blue/green grease streak coming from my 28mm focus adjust screwdrive. I just wiped it off and kept a look out for this on very hot days when I used this lens. It was a lens not adaptr issue in my case. Anyone experience or hear of a grease or oil issue with these adapters because I am sure they are exposed to warmer issues than a manual adapter.

Cindy as I said awhile back I for one as a potential buyer of that product do appreciate the time and effort you put into writing the firmware install instructions

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While I was waiting to sort this problem out, I ordered a manual adapter. It came with so much grease on it, that I sent it right back. I've been checking the Techart when I unmount it, and have seen no grease.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

took my A7RII, 90mmG and techart AF adapter out for a spin. AF works great, set lens at 5.6, manual on the mode and shutter. size of this rig is perfect (had the excellent 100macro and sold it, no regrets)

grr...
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post