Thread: Techart adapter and Contax G question

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Techart adapter and Contax G question

re: grease: i have the metabones manual G-E adapter, no problems

Post Thanks / Like

The focus on those images look very good Jim......

I just got a LA-EA1 sony A to E adapter and with a 70-400G1, Tammy 150-600, and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 I find focus doable but nowhere near the speed and accuracy I get on the SLT's with these lenses. This is especially true when the subjects are close to the minimum focus distances or very close. When the subject is out further the AF is faster and more accurate but still nowhere near the SLT speed and accuracy. If I need reach on stationary or slow moving targets they will work fine..... a wood duck taking flight is may be iffy. Never bought the a7rII for action shooting anyway
    Last edited by Jim DE; 14th November 2015 at 10:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pictures are worth more than a thousand words!!! Lovely

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    took my A7RII, 90mmG and techart AF adapter out for a spin. AF works great, set lens at 5.6, manual on the mode and shutter. size of this rig is perfect (had the excellent 100macro and sold it, no regrets)

grr...

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jim did find Albert Einstein though
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed today that there is now a firmware 2.2 update available. I installed it on the adapter but haven't noticed anything different yet.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just committed and got a TA-GA3 adapter, for my A7RII.
    You might of seen my video of the first effort;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BuQgLda360

BUT after watching Chad's video and hearing about the latest update I had to try another time

Post Thanks / Like

Hi fellow Contax users,

Has any one tried the G 35-70/3.5-5.6 on Sony a7x? In the film days, it was never popular because it's quite slow. However with high ISO ability of Sony sensors, it could be very useful again. Its MTF chart is nothing short of spectacular. However I wonder if it suffers similar problems to the Biogons.

I would really love to hear some feedback about this lens. Its sharp, compact and of really useful focal length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Hi fellow Contax users,

Has any one tried the G 35-70/3.5-5.6 on Sony a7x? In the film days, it was never popular because it's quite slow. However with high ISO ability of Sony sensors, it could be very useful again. Its MTF chart is nothing short of spectacular. However I wonder if it suffers similar problems to the Biogons.

I would really love to hear some feedback about this lens. Its sharp, compact and of really useful focal length.
    From what I have read, the zoom can't be mounted on the E-mount. It isn't a smart adapter question, but a general, physical one, if I remember correctly.
    I wouldn't buy one of these lenses without being able to see whether it can be mounted on your adapter. My recollection is that the 90mm, 45mm, 35mm and 28mm can be mounted. In order to mount the 21mm you need to cut the plastic wings in the rear, while neither the 16mm nor the 35-70mm can be used. The 16mm can be mounted, but interferes with the shutter. One can mount it and use it on bodies having a silent shutter. I didn't dear to try : I fear that I may forget to set the camera in silent mode and break the shutter. Neither the 21mm nor the 28mm produce good results in the corners, so that isn't a great incentive to try.

To sum up : I don't have the 35-70 mm, so can't report first hand about it, but from what I have read, you can't mount it on a E or FE Sony mount.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read, it seems like there's a particular version that works with the zoom lens, the TA-GE1B. I'm not sure if thats right but there's an Ebay listing for it, and the owner said he has used it successfully with the zoom lens.

I'm really intrigued by this zoom lens, however seeing the rear element protrudes quite far into the camera body, I'm fearful it has the same corner problem as the Biogons.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From what I've read, it seems like there's a particular version that works with the zoom lens, the TA-GE1B. I'm not sure if thats right but there's an Ebay listing for it, and the owner said he has used it successfully with the zoom lens.

I'm really intrigued by this zoom lens, however seeing the rear element protrudes quite far into the camera body, I'm fearful it has the same corner problem as the Biogons.
    Slingers has shown pics shot with that zoom on an A7s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Slingers has shown pics shot with that zoom on an A7s.
    The A7s has a silent mode too ? Or not ? With a silent mode it may work like the 16mm F8.

OT : Mmm.. I have to try that 16mm, at least once, now that I have an A7r2 with silent mode.

Post Thanks / Like

How does the techart do with flare cause by adapter reflections with the 90mm?

Took delivery of a 90mm last week, and the flare is extremely bad with my cheapo MF fotodiox adapters on my A7R2. There doesn't even need to be a lightsource anywhere near the frame for it to happen.

Example:

Post Thanks / Like

Spence did your 90mm come with it's metal lens hood and slip on metal cap??? I shoot mine on a Kipon since the original NEX 5 and before that on my Contax G2 and never saw that sort of flare with my lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post

Took delivery of a 90mm last week, and the flare is extremely bad with my cheapo MF fotodiox adapters on my A7R2. There doesn't even need to be a lightsource anywhere near the frame for it to happen.

Example:
    Seems that your adapter has got a problem. I never had such huge flare with my 90mm.

Post Thanks / Like

It came with the original screw on hood, about an inch and a half long, and that shot was taken with it on.

Doesn't seem to matter at all though. It's definitely not typical flare--sun doesn't need to be anywhere near the frame for it to happen, and can in fact be completely out of sight. Pretty wild.

Post Thanks / Like

Spence I agree with Annna... it has to be your adapter then unless you have a very poor protective filter on it which I seriously doubt.

I have lots of time with a Kipon and CG glass on digital and film camera's and your shot is a first time I have ever seen this with a CG lens. I have seen smearing and color shifts but never that sort of flare

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post

Example:

I just took mine out in the bright sun and took several shots (with the sun in different positions). I did not have any flare.
    I have A7r2, 90mm f/2.8 with OEM hood, teacart adapter. I agree that you might have a bad adapter.
    I also used a different 90mm with manual adapter in the past on Nex5 and Nex7, as well as Contax film camera, and never saw this.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cindy, How's that adapter work in low light on the CG 90mm? Is the AF still fast?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, Mine will hunt in super-low light (f/2.8, 1/8, iso 1600-4000) with less contrasty subjects. In good light, it just grabs onto focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Hey Cindy, How's that adapter work in low light on the CG 90mm? Is the AF still fast?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cindy

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just trying my CG 35 planar mounted on the A7r-FS in B&W mode with no filter in low light. AF was a struggle in dim pharmacy lighting, but MF with magnification worked very well. Shot at f/2.8 with focus on eyes of the model in the poster.

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have G 35 (m- mount), 45 and 90 and Carl is correct. They are so easy to manual focus. I love the manual focus on the Techart, it really is smooth.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I have never had a issue manual focusing these lenses with my Kipon.... I had a stroke awhile back and have limited usage of my left hand and think the finger wheel could be a issue for me to manual focus compared to a full ring focus on the Kipon. My hand is odd in what it can and can't do. Like I can turn a door knobbin one direction but not the other or I can't unlock a key lock but can lock it with the key .... On the Kipon I have my hand in one position to turn the focus clockwise and reverse it to go counter clockwise... I have to do the same when zooming lenses as well.
    Last edited by Jim DE; 23rd November 2015 at 18:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to report i've received an "used" TA-GA3 from eBay and successfully updated the firmware to the latest 2.2.0 (I noticed 2.1.0 crashed the app, must've deleted it from their server)

With my G 45/2 it works wonderfully, I actually took this lens apart to clean it and overhaul it, learned a thing or two through trial and error.. tested it with a mint 9mil. serial 45/2 and it worked beautifully. I have got my G 45/2 to work the same way now and it is FANTASTIC. It is what I wanted in V1 of the adapter a year ago. Albeit aided with phase detection its rapid in good light, and ok in low-light though that can use improvement.

I'm now looking for examples of the 21 and 28 Biogon photos from the A7RII if anyone has any, strongly considering picking one up just because of the value there.. and i'm using a G1/G2 film setup too. Also ordered a G 90/2.8 for $150 yesterday i'm pretty ecstatic at the usability here.

Given some time i'll be writing up a summary of important things I think newcomers will find useful; i.e. firmware upgrade procedure, focus tuning, and other tidbits I found out the hard way..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lamlux View Post
    Happy to report i've received an "used" TA-GA3 from eBay and successfully updated the firmware to the latest 2.2.0 (I noticed 2.1.0 crashed the app, must've deleted it from their server)

With my G 45/2 it works wonderfully, I actually took this lens apart to clean it and overhaul it, learned a thing or two through trial and error.. tested it with a mint 9mil. serial 45/2 and it worked beautifully. I have got my G 45/2 to work the same way now and it is FANTASTIC. It is what I wanted in V1 of the adapter a year ago. Albeit aided with phase detection its rapid in good light, and ok in low-light though that can use improvement.

I'm now looking for examples of the 21 and 28 Biogon photos from the A7RII if anyone has any, strongly considering picking one up just because of the value there.. and i'm using a G1/G2 film setup too. Also ordered a G 90/2.8 for $150 yesterday i'm pretty ecstatic at the usability here.

Given some time i'll be writing up a summary of important things I think newcomers will find useful; i.e. firmware upgrade procedure, focus tuning, and other tidbits I found out the hard way..
    Concerning the lenses : they were designed for film as you know and the wide angle design (Biogon) doesn't cope well with the short flange distance of the E mount, nor with the high resolution of the sensors : the problems come from the angle of light striking the sensor too steeply. This results in smeared corners and depending on the model, magenta cast. On the A7r the 28mm was a very bad performer. I didn't even test with the A7r2. In order to mount the 21mm you need to cut the black plastic wings protecting the rear elements. The lens is fabulous with film, but produces smeared corners on digital bodies from what I have seen, so I didn't even care to cut those rear wings.

Leica M wide angles get the same kind of problems. Some send their sensors to Kolari in rider to have it modified. Some lenses then produce better results, but it isn't perfect. I think that modification isn't very efficient for Contax G lenses, but I don't remember where I read that.

The two best performers are the 45mm and 90mm. With the 35mm coming third.

Thanks for your report on the new firmware BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I understand that the corners are to be blurred with use of 21 or 28.. then I see images like this with an A7RII:

Biogon 21:
    dsc00193-A7rII-G21 Raw by Jas Man, on Flickr

Biogon 28:
    Atria with Contax G28 by Jas Man, on Flickr

Which prompted my inquiry to see if anyone has tried it with A7RII and what apertures?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 21mm but refuse to cut it to fit inside a E mount without hitting the sensor. Mainly because I have never seen what I would call a good image with a 2 CG on a digital and it is a stellar piece of glass on the Contax g2 with color positive film.

I started to try and mount the 28 on my a7r2 but with ibis moving the sensor I really eliminated that idea to due to just how deep the 28mm fits inside the sensor box. Just too close for this old guy to feel comfortable especially when others say they have smearing and color shift as it has had open on every E mount since the original Nex5.

I also don't like the look of the 35 and replaced the 45 with the Sony 55 mm which IMO is stellar. The only lens I still have in my kit and will probably be the next replaced is the cg90mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lamlux,

You might be my saviour! Recently I just discovered my 45/2 developed some fungus inside the front element. However I'm completely perplexed to how to take this lens apart. I have taken many lenses apart before (and destroyed a few in the mean time), however I just dont know where to start with this one.

Do you mind giving me some pointers? Or if possible, some guidance photo. I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here. I just would like to know how slow/fast/accurate is autofocus with the Techart Contax G adapter/A7S combination. The Contax G lens I'm mainly interested in is the 90/2.8.

I have an Oly 100/2.0 already, but it would be nice to have an autofocus tele lens also. Of course there are native options available: Sony 90/2.8 macro (wich is stellar but quite bulky) and Zeiss 85/1.8 (smaller but more expensive and hard to find). Contax G 90/2.8 is compact and would be much cheaper even with the adapter.

So, if anyone has experience of the combination mentioned above, could you please share your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Jyrki

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lamlux,

You might be my saviour! Recently I just discovered my 45/2 developed some fungus inside the front element. However I'm completely perplexed to how to take this lens apart. I have taken many lenses apart before (and destroyed a few in the mean time), however I just dont know where to start with this one.

Do you mind giving me some pointers? Or if possible, some guidance photo. I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
    Not sure how off-topic I can pull this here but i'll mention it for sake of the future searches..
    Front name ring is easily unscrewed by using cork stop or similar (sink stop I use!), unscrew 4 screws securing aperture ring assembly and carefully remove the aperture indicator ring, and the aperture ring itself. Then you can remove the 4 screws that hold the element group (and aperture), basically the ENTIRE lens aside from the helicoil/mount.

From there you can figure out what to do Unscrew the rear element to clean that, or if you're handy, you can get into the fronts.

About 90/2.8 on the adapter, i'll be sure to chime in once my 90/2.8 arrives, though many here already use it and will probably chime in before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jhe1971 View Post
    Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here. I just would like to know how slow/fast/accurate is autofocus with the Techart Contax G adapter/A7S combination. The Contax G lens I'm mainly interested in is the 90/2.8.

I have an Oly 100/2.0 already, but it would be nice to have an autofocus tele lens also. Of course there are native options available: Sony 90/2.8 macro (wich is stellar but quite bulky) and Zeiss 85/1.8 (smaller but more expensive and hard to find). Contax G 90/2.8 is compact and would be much cheaper even with the adapter.

So, if anyone has experience of the combination mentioned above, could you please share your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Jyrki
    The A7s and A7sII have the same AF as the A7r : they use only contrast detect (unlike the A7II and A7rII which are hybrid and use both contrast detect and on sensor phase detect). This means that the A7s and A7r can focus with the Techart adapters, but they are slow. That is OK for landscapes and immobile subjects, but not for moving subject unless you can prefocus. At least that is my experience with the A7r. I don't have an A7s, but I don't think it will be better in normal daylight, given that they share the same AF system. With the A7s you may have some advantage in low light maybe.

The A7rII is much faster to focus, but not as fast as a Canon lens with the Metabones adapter, which in turn is slightly slower than native lenses.
    Last edited by Annna T; 25th November 2015 at 17:17.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the version II of this adapter, the 90mm lens, and an A7S. As Anna says the adapter is slow and it does work. Image wise there are no problems but the adapter can have issues as seen in this thread. I have seen reports though, I think it was from a user here, that the firmware before the PDAF updates had improved all the problems on the CDAF cameras but I haven't tried to contact the manufacturer to see if I can get my older adapter updated.

Quote Originally Posted by jhe1971 View Post

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Jyrki
    Craig Slingsby

Post Thanks / Like

@Lamlux: Thank you, I will give it another try today and if there's any problem I will PM to keep the thread clean.

@Slingers: Hi, a forum member said you successfully use a G35-70 with Techart AF adapter. Could I pls ask which version of the adapter it is? And how do you feel about its performance?

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the zoom with both the version I and II of this adapter as the first version adapter I had so many problems with it I had to send it back. The zoom worked great for me on both adapters but in the exif it reports its the G21. Actually the G21 and G35-70 never have had any problems for me with the adapters only the G45, G90, and occasional problems when using the G28. I see though a lot of reports of the zoom not working so maybe I am lucky with mine but it is a black coloured version and maybe it's different. I find the zoom lacks a little contrast but is nice small package with decent sharpness for these cameras.

@Lamlux: Thank you, I will give it another try today and if there's any problem I will PM to keep the thread clean.

@Slingers: Hi, a forum member said you successfully use a G35-70 with Techart AF adapter. Could I pls ask which version of the adapter it is? And how do you feel about its performance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    I have used the zoom with both the version I and II of this adapter as the first version adapter I had so many problems with it I had to send it back. The zoom worked great for me on both adapters but in the exif it reports its the G21. Actually the G21 and G35-70 never have had any problems for me with the adapters only the G45, G90, and occasional problems when using the G28. I see though a lot of reports of the zoom not working so maybe I am lucky with mine but it is a black coloured version and maybe it's different. I find the zoom lacks a little contrast but is nice small package with decent sharpness for these cameras.
    Thank you. By working, do you mean autofocus works well also? Is there any magenta cast in the corner at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes autofocus works. On the NEX-7 there is magenta corners but on the A7S they are gone.

Thank you. By working, do you mean autofocus works well also? Is there any magenta cast in the corner at all?

Post Thanks / Like

These are with another adapter but an example on the A7S. They are not the best images but give an idea of the performance.

I believe 35mm f/3.5 not 100%

70mm f/8

50mm f/8

35mm f/8
    Craig Slingsby

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the images. Do you have images from G45 at similar settings (ISO, f stop) with the A7s that we can fairly compare?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I read on a Techart ad that the 3 works on everything but the zoom.

The zoom and 16 are the only two CG lenses I don't have in that series. Personally on digital for my tastes the 45 and 90 were the only two I used the others stay with the ContaxG2 which I still occasionally use when bored with digital.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I finally found the courage to put the 16mm on the TechArt adapter v. 2 (TGA-1B). I put the body into silent mode and took a few shots. But I have to get a new fully manual adapter for it. I wasn't able to get the magnifier and focusing was very difficult. I used zone focusing, but the bottom of the picture was sharp even in the corners, to my big surprise. However about half height, things turned very bad. I wasn't able to focus to infinity. I think that the problem is due to the screw on the adapter, which can't enter in the usual place (the 16mm is only manual and has a focusing ring). May be that I'll get a dumb adapter and try again to see how the lens will behave.

This is a perilous exercise : after the first tries I deactivated the silent shooting mode, but didn't remember it when I decided to give it another try.. So the shutter went against the rearelement and I got a camera error. Took me a while to realize. But once I replaced the lens with a native one, everything returned to normal. So no harm.. but still this is a perilous exercise and prone to cause damage to the shutter. The results aren't even worth showing. Next step : getting a dumb adapter.

Concerning the new firmware available : 2.2, I made the update yesterday, but still no luck with the 90mm. The adapter is however working fine with the 45mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the images. Do you have images from G45 at similar settings (ISO, f stop) with the A7s that we can fairly compare?
    My G45 has a stiff focus and i can focus it with a kipon adapter and on a contax camera but not with the techart/deo tech. Just like said above i need to pull it apart for some maintenance. I tried a while ago but the screws were on tight so i gave up. I took it out tonight on a tripod and took these images. They are SOOC jpegs and focused in the center. Wide open shows corner issues but almost gone by f/4 and perfect at f/8.

f/2

f/4

f/8

f/11
    Craig Slingsby
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Well, I finally found the courage to put the 16mm on the TechArt adapter v. 2 (TGA-1B) Next step : getting a dumb adapter.

Concerning the new firmware available : 2.2, I made the update yesterday, but still no luck with the 90mm. The adapter is however working fine with the 45mm.
    I actually saw someone who had mounted the Hologon on an A7S but if course there were only two sample photos and they themselves couldn't get to infinity because of a flawed adapter (adapter itself was too thick). If u could get a dumb adapter and prove the Hologon can work with silent shutter mode that definitely clears up some myths! I had the opportunity to use this Lens converted and on an M9 and no doubt the sharpness is there corner to corner.. I recently used one on my G1 too. If only..

About the 90mm, I should be getting mine Monday and will report back.

I keep looking at the 35/2 and 28/2.8 and think I just should get them..

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much what I saw with my cg45 on the a7rII. It was the first digital camera body that showed anything but IMO stellar performance across its range from until then my favorite lens. There was the corner issue open and a color cast to very slight magenta. Disappointing and forced me to look to replace in in that kit. I truly like the Sony 55mm f1.8 better on the a7rII than the cg45.

I am hoping the 90 macro will also surpass the cg90 which I also see not performing on the a7rII as well as it did on either the nex5 or 7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually saw someone who had mounted the Hologon on an A7S but if course there were only two sample photos and they themselves couldn't get to infinity because of a flawed adapter (adapter itself was too thick). If u could get a dumb adapter and prove the Hologon can work with silent shutter mode that definitely clears up some myths! I had the opportunity to use this Lens converted and on an M9 and no doubt the sharpness is there corner to corner.. I recently used one on my G1 too. If only..

About the 90mm, I should be getting mine Monday and will report back.

I keep looking at the 35/2 and 28/2.8 and think I just should get them..
    It was a very fast test. Since half the picture was in focus and the rest atrocious, I looked at the adapter and saw that it was mounted nearer on one side than on the other, aka wasn't fitting perfectly, not resting flat on the adapter. I assumed that the problem could rest with the screw activating the focus system on the other lenses, because the 16mm doesn't have a hole for it, so the adapter isn't aligned correctly on the lens mount. A cheap adapter could be modified to take the screw out and then may be (may be) the lens would fit correctly on the mount. From what I've read : the shorter the lens, the more important the mounting precision is.

Concerning the 28mm, may be the A7s would forgiven more than the higher resolution body. But I won't pay much to get it new. The 28mm FE is quite cheap small and one stop faster. It is also very sharp, but exhibit quite a lot of distorsion. Now of course, if you still have a Contax G film body and shoot film too, then the question is different. But the 28mm isn't as good as the 45mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if anyone is interested but i took comparable shots to the G45 shots above today with the other contax G lenses i have on the v2 techart/deo tech adapter. I only have an A7S so they may not be of interest to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

G21

From awful to bad but fantastic centers

f/2.8

f/4

f/8

f/11
    Craig Slingsby

Post Thanks / Like

G28

Not perfect. When edge to edge sharpness needed stopping down is the only option.

f/2.8

f/4

f/8

f/11
    Craig Slingsby

Post Thanks / Like

G35-70 @ 35mm

f/3.5

f/5.6

f/8