The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart adapter and Contax G question

Jim DE

Cindy, I am essentially like Anna in that I only want that adapter to function on my CG 90mm even though I do own a 21, 28, 35, 45,and the 90 in that series. I do not like the way the wider 3 work on digitals, I replaced the 45 with the FE55 and am happy with that. If I can get AF on the cg90 then there is no need for the FE90 or Batis 85..... Then I can focus on a longer focal length les like the 70-200 f4 or if a 135 or 200 is released in this forecasted lens announcement.

That said I sure hope the B&H sold golden eagles when they arrive are supplied with their latest firmware to avoid the various issues we are reading about when updating. I am surprised they don't specify to hold your tongue a certain way and do the chicken dance while updating ;)

Anyway it is reassuring to hear when everything goes right the 90 and adapter are smoking good!

yashima

Hi fellow Sony-Contax users,

For those who have both A7r and A7rII, is there any autofocus improvement using the Techart 3 with A7r?

I'm having A7r and a bunch of Contax G lenses, and wondering should I get the latest Techart 3 version or settle or the Techart 2 (which will be about 2/3 of the price). I wont be looking to upgrade to A7rII any time soon.

Many thanks!

Annna T

Hi fellow Sony-Contax users,

For those who have both A7r and A7rII, is there any autofocus improvement using the Techart 3 with A7r?

I'm having A7r and a bunch of Contax G lenses, and wondering should I get the latest Techart 3 version or settle or the Techart 2 (which will be about 2/3 of the price). I wont be looking to upgrade to A7rII any time soon.

Many thanks!

I don't think it makes a difference : the A7r unlike the A7r2 doesn't have the phase detect photosites on its sensor. So you can only work with contrast detect, which is what the TA-G1B does already. I have both adapters and both cameras and the newer adapter didn't seem to make a difference when mounted on the A7r. It is only faster with cameras offering hybrid AF, aka phase detect plus contrast detect. So after the announced firmware update of the A7II, it may work faster with that camera too.

Annna T

Thank you, thats what I thought as well. So I might just get a Techart 2 for the time being.
Yes, the former version will work with your A7r, just read carefully what the different vendors say and compare the different pictures to be sure about what you get. The last version comes with a Bluetooth chip inside of the adapter and its firmware can be updated with a phone if needed (in case you get another FE or E-mount body supporting hybrid AF in the future). The older version has to be sent to the manufacturer to get updated.

Also these Techart adapters can be tricky with some lenses fitting better than others.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just a note from me as Cindy sent us admin a email on how GetDPI should be. This is a prime example of a excellent thread with learning and sharing. Thanks Cindy for bringing this up.

Now this is GetDPI at its best. Have fun and Thank You

spence

Not exactly on topic, but wanted to give a big thumbs up to the Contax 45mm with Fotasy manual focus adapter (cost, about $40).

I used it as part of a lightweight hiking kit in Utah last week on the A7RII, and was extremely impressed with the results. Great great lens.

The focus ring on the adapter was somewhat stiff to start out with, and there was a point where it seemed to bind, but after continued use it loosened up significantly and worked perfectly well for me.

It's a pain to mount on the lens, though, so if I pick up a 90mm, I'll probably get another adapter--maybe the techart, since AF would be a nice bonus.

yashima

Dear all, I will be looking to buy a Tech Art 2, so if anyone is thinking of parting with their old one please give me a shout ;-)

Jim DE

Anna, You get your issues resolved yet with the CG90mm and version III new firmware????

I called B&H and talked to them asking if they require their manufacturers to supply their store with products that have the most recent firmware in them. They stated they were not able to do this as firmware changes sometimes rapidly. I agreed it can but at the time of shipment they should assure the latest and greatest versions. I warned them that I have seen user's with some serious firmware uploading issues and they should beware that if they accept products without the current firmware this is most likely going to be a headache for some of their customers and B&H's customer service department. The only way I would buy this adapter is through B&H...... no way with what I have read would I deal with them directly.

Annna T

Anna, You get your issues resolved yet with the CG90mm and version III new firmware????

I called B&H and talked to them asking if they require their manufacturers to supply their store with products that have the most recent firmware in them. They stated they were not able to do this as firmware changes sometimes rapidly. I agreed it can but at the time of shipment they should assure the latest and greatest versions. I warned them that I have seen user's with some serious firmware uploading issues and they should beware that if they accept products without the current firmware this is most likely going to be a headache for some of their customers and B&H's customer service department. The only way I would buy this adapter is through B&H...... no way with what I have read would I deal with them directly.
Well, I left it at that :

The adapter works well with the 45mm F2 now. It should have got the latest firmware installed because PDAF is working and I don't get unstoppable hunting when the subject is too near.

I didn't put the 90mm on it again, because it created havoc with the adapter, preventing it to work with the 45mm.

I didn't contact the manufacturer/seller yet. So I don't have more info for the moment.

Jim DE

So it has the update but when other lenses are attached it currupts the firmware so it will no longer work properly on any of the lenses.... That is not good at all.

B&H will have fun selling this one ..... 2015 and some Chinese companies still think they can get away with their customer base being their personal beta testers. DJI out of China is IMO exactly the same with their drones... Let's put a product out there that sounds good and let people buy it and help us iron out the R&D we don't want to pay for or the poor quality control we want to turn a blind eye to. The only thing I have ever had to return to B&H was a DJI drone and had to do this 3 times to just get one that worked well enough that I ended up taking a beating on reselling it to someone I knew just to stop the aggravation of ownership. What some of these Asian technology companies get away with in USA markets is a crime. A USA based company trying their business model would be in court and out of business so fast it would make their heads spin. But our courts won't touch a Chinese based company even when they build a exact copy of a USA designed, patented, and produced vehicle none the less a drone that doesn't do what is claimed or a lense adapter that has junk firmware.

Anna I really hope someone can help you with this issue soon but your experience has finalized my decision not to get it and to get the 90 macro OEM lens and be done with it.

jlm

Workshop Member
took a leap, ordered one from hong kong via amazon last monday. said it would ship 11/27-12/15

today it arrived.

no chance to check it out yet, though it did come with a usb drive.

my intent is to use it with the 90 contax g

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Annna T

took a leap, ordered one from hong kong via amazon last monday. said it would ship 11/27-12/15

today it arrived.

- - - Updated - - -

today it arrived. :):grin:

Good luck !

On the USB drive there is a manual (in Chinese, but lot of drawings). And a program for updating. You should also have got a Bluetooth circuit, more or less the size of the USB key. You don't need it if you make the updates with a phone or a tablet. I think it is for people who need to update from a computer. I didn't use it.

jlm

Workshop Member
still trying to figure out how to mount the lens to the adapter...grrr!

also:
the manual focus wheel on the adapter is freewheeling completely; doesn't seem mechanically connected to anything?
the little drive tab on the adapter is stuck pointing vertically (in rotation); can't see how it would engage the drive fork on the lens, and seems to be preventing the lens from rotating fully into position.

(on my metabones G-Nex manual focus adapter, rotating the focus ring will rotate the little drive tab on the adapter)

jlm

Workshop Member
got it to work, sort of .

had to turn the drive fork on the lens to the same rotation position as the adapter (using fingernail) still a bit tweaky, but lens clicked on to the adapter with confidence.

mounted on camera, it will auto focus, but hunts and steps in in small jumps (not satisfactory, but i have not updated firmware yet.)

manual focus wheel on adapter works fine!

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
tried this,

mounted lens to adapter to camera, turned on and set aperture to f90. took a shot, turned off camera, removed lens from adapter, leaving adapter on camera and camera off. loaded app on Iphone, bluetooth on, phone sleep turned off, picked TA-GA3 ver 2.1.0, hit update and it is ticking away, writing firmware right now

scho

tried this,

mounted lens to adapter to camera, turned on and set aperture to f90. took a shot, turned off camera, removed lens from adapter, leaving adapter on camera and camera off. loaded app on Iphone, bluetooth on, phone sleep turned off, picked TA-GA3 ver 2.1.0, hit update and it is ticking away, writing firmware right now
When you re-mount the lens set the aperture to maximum on camera (2.8 for the 90mm) and leave it there. Set lens aperture to whatever value you need. You should get fast Phase Detect AF now.

jlm

Workshop Member
seems to work, though i think all the shots are done at the f stop set on the lens, so if you need f2.8 for critical focus, you have to set the shooting fstop after focusing.

to check, i set the lens at f2.8, the camera to f11 and peeked in the lens when shooting. ( aperture priority in action)

Jim DE

Setting the lens to its widest aperture.... Focus.... Then turn to the shooting aperture is how I have used these CG lenses with adapters since the original Nex5

I don't understand your last comment in the previous post... By setting the lens to max aperture and the camera to say f11 does the aperture blades move in the lens when the shot is made or not using A mode?

jlm

Workshop Member
just tried it again, and it is confusing:

lens set at f2.8, autofocus on and working, camera set at f11. peeked into the lens while taking the shot and the aperture blades DID NOT close down at all.