Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Techart adapter and Contax G question

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Techart adapter and Contax G question

G90

I did this test twice. First time i got to f/11 and noticed the white blemish. So i went and cleaned the lens and came back but it still was in the images. I don't usually use the techart adapter with this lens as it has problems but i believe what i'm seeing is a reflection issue from the adapter. This lens is great though.

f/2.8

f/4

f/8

f/11
    Craig Slingsby
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    G90

I did this test twice. First time i got to f/11 and noticed the white blemish. So i went and cleaned the lens and came back but it still was in the images. I don't usually use the techart adapter with this lens as it has problems but i believe what i'm seeing is a reflection issue from the adapter. This lens is great though.
    Thank you for your tests !

I wonder whether it is really a reflection problem because the blemish visibility is increasing as the lens is stopped down. I think it should be the reverse : the wider the aperture get the stronger and more visible the blemishes becomes ? Could it be a light leak instead ? Or I'm mistaken ?

HOw does the lens fit to the adapter ? Or the adapter to the body ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do a lot of infrared photography, and hot spots look very similar. They get more prominent as you stop down. They are caused by internal reflections.
    I'm thinking Anna might be right about light leak from a poor fit of the adapter. You could rule light leak out by putting some gaffers tape around the mount and repeating the test.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the G35-70 was affected in the 70mm test as well but not as bad as the G90. I took out the G90 today to replicate the issue and then covered the adapter, then the mount as well, and finally tried with a screw on hood. They all didn't help but i could get rid of it by using my hand to block above and about a hands length out in front of the hood.

With the adapter covered.

my hand blocking the light
    Last edited by Slingers; 29th November 2015 at 02:35.
    Craig Slingsby
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Metabones came out with a versionIV canon/E adapter specifically to better moderate internal flare compared to version III, and I agree that wider lenses with larger image circles could use the help
    I use the huge ic lenses the canon the 17 and 24 and put my ver IV on the 17

Post Thanks / Like

I see B&H went from ship date 11/30 to unknown.... That isn't good for those who may of ordered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I do a lot of infrared photography, and hot spots look very similar. They get more prominent as you stop down. They are caused by internal reflections.
    I'm thinking Anna might be right about light leak from a poor fit of the adapter. You could rule light leak out by putting some gaffers tape around the mount and repeating the test.
    I use quite a number of adapters. I also use the 45G and 90G often but with Fotodiox and Metabones manual focus adapters. I have had flair problems like this with every adapter except the two Novoflex adapters I have. Even the Mirex Hassi to Nikon TS adapter is prone to flair. So I have taken to lining the insides of all of my adapters (except the Novoflex's) with black self-adhesive flocking. This is sold for people who build their own telescopes, and it is very reasonably priced when you consider how little it takes to do an adapter. They sell the stuff by the square foot. You might also find it in a craft supply store.

If anyone wants my source let me know and I will see if I can locate it. It has been a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issues with washed out/white ghosty patches with my Contax G 90mm and a cheap fotodiox adapter. It got somewhat worse the further I was stopped down, as well.

Gaffer's tape over the reflective parts of the adapter mostly solved it, but not completely. The flocking paper as someone above suggested might work better.

Or, build a baffle, to approximate what you see on the back of the Sony FE lenses, like this guy did, using a yogurt lid, hehe:

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

Got my Techart at last. Is it possible to have Focus Assist/Magnifier when fine tuning focus manually with the wheel?

MF Focus Assist On doesnt give me anything, when Focus Magnifier custom setting "not available in Single Shot AF (only focus mode allowed)"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Hi everyone,

Got my Techart at last. Is it possible to have Focus Assist/Magnifier when fine tuning focus manually with the wheel?

MF Focus Assist On doesnt give me anything, when Focus Magnifier custom setting "not available in Single Shot AF (only focus mode allowed)"
    This is how mine works: I use AFS and have focus on the back button AF/MF and focus magnify on C1 (focus is disabled on shutter). If i AF and then press the magnify, I get the "not available" message. If I AF and then move the MF wheel, then I can press C1 and get the magnify. I can press the shutter and continue to magnify for the next shot, as long as I don't press AF. If I use AF to get close, then I need to touch that MF wheel before magnifying.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    This is how mine works: I use AFS and have focus on the back button AF/MF and focus magnify on C1 (focus is disabled on shutter). If i AF and then press the magnify, I get the "not available" message. If I AF and then move the MF wheel, then I can press C1 and get the magnify. I can press the shutter and continue to magnify for the next shot, as long as I don't press AF. If I use AF to get close, then I need to touch that MF wheel before magnifying.

Yes thanks Cindy, I just figured that out too. I need to touch the wheel a little bit then I can magnify it. Quite a strange implementation but it works.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that strange I think, considering in DMF/MF mode magnification is automatic for native AF lenses once you turn the focus ring.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Not that strange I think, considering in DMF/MF mode magnification is automatic for native AF lenses once you turn the focus ring.

The behaviour is quite different:

In DMF mode for native AF lenses, you half press the shutter for AF, and you need to keep this half press in order to fine tune using MF. And when fine tuning using MF, you can only have MF assist, not focus magnifier.

In AF-S mode for Contax lenses, you half press the shutter for AF, and you have to remove your finger from the shutter release to fine tune using MF wheel. When fine tuning using MF, you can have focus magnifier, not MF assist. And even focus magnifier you can only have when you have move the wheel a little bit, so effectively moving away from the AF point you have achieve.

So all in all, the difference is a little confusing (better word than "strange" I guess)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just got around to trying my new A6300 with the TechArt (DEO Tech) MK III adapter firmware 2.2. Works just fine with no problems using several Contax G lenses. PD AF is great and really nails focus in my tests so far. Three shots below using the Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar. Now using 3 adapted lens solutions on the A6300 with PD AF capability: TechArt III Contax G to E, LAE3 with Tamron 150-600, and Fringer III with Contax N 70-200 and 45-85 lenses. Soon will add TechArt Pro Leica M to E for a 4th solution. Nice having these AF options to use high quality old lenses on digital cameras.

f/2

f/5.6 (closer)

Indoor plant, f/5.6

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is kind of an old thread, I see that. Is anyone using the CG35 on an A7r2? How is it? I have been using the CG90 and CG45 for years, so references to either of these will be meaningful. Is the coverage (color shading in particular) good? Imaging style?

On another note, I have Kipon manual adapters for these lenses after trying the Metabones and Fotodiox manual adapters, and I am very happy with them. They damp the focus really well. Focus throw is a bit short, but this is about as close to a good helicoid lens as I can imagine getting with a screw drive.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muse View Post
    This is kind of an old thread, I see that. Is anyone using the CG35 on an A7r2? How is it? I have been using the CG90 and CG45 for years, so references to either of these will be meaningful. Is the coverage (color shading in particular) good? Imaging style?

On another note, I have Kipon manual adapters for these lenses after trying the Metabones and Fotodiox manual adapters, and I am very happy with them. They damp the focus really well. Focus throw is a bit short, but this is about as close to a good helicoid lens as I can imagine getting with a screw drive.
    I used the CG35 on the A7RII with the TA adapter. Worked fine and one of my favorite lenses. Few samples below from 3 yrs ago

Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post