The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart adapter and Contax G question

jlm

Workshop Member
to further clairify, since we are so spoiled by auto-everything:

i use A priority and would expect the shutter to be auot set according the the light reaching the sensor...
so open lens to f2.8 and auto focus with light shutter press (2.8 gives most accurate focus), then manually stop down the lens to the desired aperture, camera sets the shutter speed according to the camera f-stop, so you have to match the lens setting and make the shot.

any f-stop set in the camera is controlling the shutter speed in A, so you have to set both on the lens and in the camera

if i were using the old Metabones manual adapter: in A mode
set f-stop on lens, camera sets shutter speed according to the camera f-stop so that has to match the lens, manually focus, make the shot.

still getting used to this

jlm

Workshop Member
had a quick moment to take a shot:

in M mode, set s speed at 1/250, camera shows f5.6, but underexposed 2 stops according to vewfinder metering if lens is at 5.6. so left camera at 5.6, but set lens at 2.8: perfect exposure with camera meter and the final shot. exif data show 1/250 and f5.6 (the camera setting)

scho

had a quick moment to take a shot:

in M mode, set s speed at 1/250, camera shows f5.6, but underexposed 2 stops according to vewfinder metering if lens is at 5.6. so left camera at 5.6, but set lens at 2.8: perfect exposure with camera meter and the final shot. exif data show 1/250 and f5.6 (the camera setting)
John,

My understanding is that you must set the camera to the widest f value available (f/2.8 for the 90mm) and leave it there. Then you select the aperture you want for your exposure and set that with the lens aperture ring. The camera will always record the max aperture in exif and not the actual exposure aperture set on the lens.

Jim DE

I would think Carl's explanation pretty much is how I would expect it to work. Set camera aperture to widest setting and use the lens to set aperture.

What bothers me is this company sells internationally but fails to supply easily understood instructions in the countries language their customers are located in. Using the adapter or updating firmware should not be a game of Russian Roulette with 3 rounds in the cylinder which gives the customer only a 50-50 chance of success. Just how much would it cost them to have a usable translation of their owners manual. They are not stupid obviously about the technology involved in their product but I see not having English, French, Spanish, German translations in their owners manual is a major issue. One should not have to guess and hope while doing a chicken dance to get a product to work as described. That is business 101

jlm

Workshop Member
Jim, I hear you, seven asian languages on the tech sheet, and the english version was gibberish, but the upgrade as i described it was pretty painless and kind of unique with the bluetooth connectivity. and for $300 bucks, it arrived in a week or less from HK and is a nicely made product

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
John,

My understanding is that you must set the camera to the widest f value available (f/2.8 for the 90mm) and leave it there. Then you select the aperture you want for your exposure and set that with the lens aperture ring. The camera will always record the max aperture in exif and not the actual exposure aperture set on the lens.
Carl, You told me to do it this way and it is working perfectly no matter if I am in M or A mode.

to further clairify, since we are so spoiled by auto-everything:

i use A priority and would expect the shutter to be auot set according the the light reaching the sensor...
so open lens to f2.8 and auto focus with light shutter press (2.8 gives most accurate focus), then manually stop down the lens to the desired aperture, camera sets the shutter speed according to the camera f-stop, so you have to match the lens setting and make the shot.

any f-stop set in the camera is controlling the shutter speed in A, so you have to set both on the lens and in the camera

if i were using the old Metabones manual adapter: in A mode
set f-stop on lens, camera sets shutter speed according to the camera f-stop so that has to match the lens, manually focus, make the shot.

still getting used to this
John, I don't have to "open lens to f2.8 and auto focus with light shutter press (2.8 gives most accurate focus), then manually stop down the lens to the desired aperture". I put my 90mm on the A7rII with the latest Techart updated adapter. I set the camera to aperture f/2.8 and forget about it. From there I set my aperture on the lens to my setting. After that it operates as I would any other lens in M or A and depending on if I have ISO set to AUTO or a setting.

Jim DE

Jim, I just read the customer reviews on that Amazon Techart Contax G to Sony E mount adapter........you are far braver than I am. 70% of the ratings are 3 stars and under with 30% of these at a 1 star rating....... That is a really poor rating for any product. In the one star ratings one is pre the new firmware and 2 after the firmware where one adapter completely fell apart and the owner was just glad all parts fell outside instead of inside the camera body. The other did the firmware and the camera can't see the adapter anymore.

B&H is going to have fun with this product if and when they ever get them in..... I am going to pass on this one.... the 90mm OEM Macro will be my next purchase.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
still trying to figure out how to mount the lens to the adapter...grrr!

also:
the manual focus wheel on the adapter is freewheeling completely; doesn't seem mechanically connected to anything?
the little drive tab on the adapter is stuck pointing vertically (in rotation); can't see how it would engage the drive fork on the lens, and seems to be preventing the lens from rotating fully into position.

(on my metabones G-Nex manual focus adapter, rotating the focus ring will rotate the little drive tab on the adapter)
One thing that might solve the mounting issue is that Contax G lenses were never to be removed from the body like normal lenses. Do not hold the black area and twist. You need to have your hand on the ribbed band behind the aperture ring. When you release the lens, it will be locked into position to mount the next time.

I suppose that when you mount the lens on the adapter the first time, that driver could in the wrong position. Then you need to manually line up the "driver/drive tab" on the Techart with the "groove/ drive fork" on the lens. Try turning that ribbed band to the left till it locks, first.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I would think Carl's explanation pretty much is how I would expect it to work. Set camera aperture to widest setting and use the lens to set aperture.

What bothers me is this company sells internationally but fails to supply easily understood instructions in the countries language their customers are located in. Using the adapter or updating firmware should not be a game of Russian Roulette with 3 rounds in the cylinder which gives the customer only a 50-50 chance of success. Just how much would it cost them to have a usable translation of their owners manual. They are not stupid obviously about the technology involved in their product but I see not having English, French, Spanish, German translations in their owners manual is a major issue. One should not have to guess and hope while doing a chicken dance to get a product to work as described. That is business 101
It is a terrible manual. I'm hoping that we can post enough info in this thread that we can get everyone here up and running.

Jim DE

Cindy there is a bunch of good information on this thread... What worried me is Anna's situation with the 90mm.... It is the only CG lens I might of kept in digital service if the DeoTech adapter could give good AF performance on that lens.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy there is a bunch of good information on this thread... What worried me is Anna's situation with the 90mm.... It is the only CG lens I might of kept in digital service if the DeoTech adapter could give good AF performance on that lens.
Jim, Since you already have the lens, you might want to consider that for only a $300 investment, you could give it a try. You will have our support, and you can always return the adapter to B+H, if it does not work out.

Jim DE

Cindy, I truly appreciate the offer of assistance with this product... I truly do! But, we have a regular here right now who is afraid to swap from a 45 to a 90mm lens on her adapter in fear she will once again lose what she finally achieved with the adapter and her 45mm. I don't see others helping resolve this issue for Anna so the product can be used as described.

Cindy, read the reviews on this product on Amazon. Granted bad news travels faster than good but a adapter falling apart while in use???? And the only positive was no parts fell inside the camera? Really? In 2015 a manufacturer dealing in a monopoly on a world market can get away with some transgressions just not as many or to the degree we see on this thread or the Amazon reviews and expect a flock of new informed customers. This thread and the Amazon reviews showed me it is much wiser to spend $1000 on a great OEM 90mm lens than $300 on a POS adapter from a company who isn't even willing to create a usable users manual in the language of the countries they want to sell to. Techart or DeoTech or what ever name they want to call themselves tomorrow can keep their product and I will spend my money on products that review 90%+ at 4 stars or more and offer USA based warranties that one doesn't have to be bilingual to understand how to use.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, I truly appreciate the offer of assistance with this product... I truly do! But, we have a regular here right now who is afraid to swap from a 45 to a 90mm lens on her adapter in fear she will once again lose what she finally achieved with the adapter and her 45mm. I don't see others helping resolve this issue for Anna so the product can be used as described.

Cindy, read the reviews on this product on Amazon. Granted bad news travels faster than good but a adapter falling apart while in use???? And the only positive was no parts fell inside the camera? Really? In 2015 a manufacturer dealing in a monopoly on a world market can get away with some transgressions just not as many or to the degree we see on this thread or the Amazon reviews and expect a flock of new informed customers. This thread and the Amazon reviews showed me it is much wiser to spend $1000 on a great OEM 90mm lens than $300 on a POS adapter from a company who isn't even willing to create a usable users manual in the language of the countries they want to sell to. Techart or DeoTech or what ever name they want to call themselves tomorrow can keep their product and I will spend my money on products that review 90%+ at 4 stars or more and offer USA based warranties that one doesn't have to be bilingual to understand how to use.
Of course, Jim. You need to do what is right for you. I am happy with mine. I want to use this fine lens with AF. Everyone has the right to decide for themselves.

Annna T

You are sounding more angry than me ! The problems are probably not only due to the adapter, but to the fact that those lenses can be a little tricky to operate. Everything depends upon that little screw and depending on its state it will work better or not.

Jim DE

Maybe a little Anna ;) I may be parrelleling your and others experiences with this product as I and a horde of other had with another Chinese manufacturers product with a similar mindset DJI. Hey, I'm old we do these things ;) I truly would of liked to of gotten a fully functional golden eagle that arrived with a firmware that works and just be able to attach and enjoy it. I see at their site it was recently a out of stock item so there must not be a backlog of product so there was no reason for Jim to get one last week with old firmware if it came from the manufacturer.

When I did a Amazon search I used Deo Tech initially and got no results then I tried Techart and read the reviews ... This thread and yours and others experiences on this thread appears to be not abnormal. The sad thing with the exception of the one complaint about the product falling apart (which does not give a warm and fuzzy with metal or greased parts falling within the sensor box of a $3200 camera) the rest of the issues circle around the software and the poor instructions to upgrade and use the product. A very low cost simple thing for a concerned manufacturer to resolve. It could be as easy as putting a well written off file on their website in several common worldwide languages. Would take a day or so at most and qualified translators.

I know bad news travels far faster than good and usually people with poor experiences will rate a product more often than those who have good experiences. But take this thread we have 3 who seem to have no issues and two that are. 40% who are not totally satisfied with the product. Not good.

I bought the ContaxG2 when it was introduced as a set with the 28, 45, 90, and the flash. I soon added a 35, and 21mm. Learned very quickly how to mount and unmount these lenses. Once the original Nex5 came out I got one of them and ordered a Kipon adapter to use my CG glass on it. Back then I could use the 28( if stopped down a bit) 35, 45, and 90 with only a bit of smearing and color issues in the two widest. NEX 7 narrowed my field to the 45 and 90. This a7rII and the 55mm f1.8 has narrowed it to just the 90. Would of been nice to add AF for $300 and not have to buy a $1000+ lens in 85 or 90. But I want hasseless usage and I know Murphy's Law and my experiences with Chinese based technology companies, I surely woul be the third poster on this thread to have firmware issues. Don't think I would have lens mounting issues as I have a lot of time behinds CG adapted and unadapted glass but who knows I could if they really have design issues in that area.

I am far more disappointed because of the results you and others achieved than actually angry. I wanted the experience to be without issues and painless for everyone who buys them.. Sadly we witness that is not the case.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My initial problem (why I started this thread) was that the 45mm that I purchased, would not mount. The fault was with the lens, which had a driver that was almost frozen in place. I sent it back and the replacement worked. In the meantime, the 90mm arrived and mounted. I updated the firmware. I could not manual focus. I contacted the seller. He put me in contact with the manufacturer. Manufacturer answered my email within a few hours and told me to try re-installing the firmware. I realized then that my phone was going to sleep and stopping the download. Once that was sorted out, everything was perfect. Yes, better instructions would have saved some hassle. That is why I wanted the instructions documented in this thread so that the next one to try would have smoother sailing.
There are 3 screws on each side of the adapter that hold it together. The inside is tight against the flange. The bit with the contacts could possibly come loose and fall in, but it is against the electronics on the flange, so that is not high on my worry list.

Jim DE

Cindy, Thanks for the details on the assembly of this product... if you read the one star review the writer near made it sound like it imploded ;)

Hey, a question for you and other owners....... I remember earlier about complaints with manual adapters about oil or grease leaking on the flange, sensor, or lens. My Kipon has not once exhibited any tendency for this though I have seen on very hot days a blue/green grease streak coming from my 28mm focus adjust screwdrive. I just wiped it off and kept a look out for this on very hot days when I used this lens. It was a lens not adaptr issue in my case. Anyone experience or hear of a grease or oil issue with these adapters because I am sure they are exposed to warmer issues than a manual adapter.

Cindy as I said awhile back I for one as a potential buyer of that product do appreciate the time and effort you put into writing the firmware install instructions:thumbup::thumbup:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
While I was waiting to sort this problem out, I ordered a manual adapter. It came with so much grease on it, that I sent it right back. I've been checking the Techart when I unmount it, and have seen no grease.

jlm

Workshop Member
took my A7RII, 90mmG and techart AF adapter out for a spin. AF works great, set lens at 5.6, manual on the mode and shutter. size of this rig is perfect (had the excellent 100macro and sold it, no regrets)

grr...