The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart adapter and Contax G question

Slingers

Thank you for the images. Do you have images from G45 at similar settings (ISO, f stop) with the A7s that we can fairly compare?
My G45 has a stiff focus and i can focus it with a kipon adapter and on a contax camera but not with the techart/deo tech. Just like said above i need to pull it apart for some maintenance. I tried a while ago but the screws were on tight so i gave up. I took it out tonight on a tripod and took these images. They are SOOC jpegs and focused in the center. Wide open shows corner issues but almost gone by f/4 and perfect at f/8.

f/2

f/4

f/8

f/11

lamlux

Well, I finally found the courage to put the 16mm on the TechArt adapter v. 2 (TGA-1B) Next step : getting a dumb adapter.

Concerning the new firmware available : 2.2, I made the update yesterday, but still no luck with the 90mm. The adapter is however working fine with the 45mm.
I actually saw someone who had mounted the Hologon on an A7S but if course there were only two sample photos and they themselves couldn't get to infinity because of a flawed adapter (adapter itself was too thick). If u could get a dumb adapter and prove the Hologon can work with silent shutter mode that definitely clears up some myths! I had the opportunity to use this Lens converted and on an M9 and no doubt the sharpness is there corner to corner.. I recently used one on my G1 too. If only..

About the 90mm, I should be getting mine Monday and will report back.

I keep looking at the 35/2 and 28/2.8 and think I just should get them..

Jim DE

Pretty much what I saw with my cg45 on the a7rII. It was the first digital camera body that showed anything but IMO stellar performance across its range from until then my favorite lens. There was the corner issue open and a color cast to very slight magenta. Disappointing and forced me to look to replace in in that kit. I truly like the Sony 55mm f1.8 better on the a7rII than the cg45.

I am hoping the 90 macro will also surpass the cg90 which I also see not performing on the a7rII as well as it did on either the nex5 or 7.

Annna T

I actually saw someone who had mounted the Hologon on an A7S but if course there were only two sample photos and they themselves couldn't get to infinity because of a flawed adapter (adapter itself was too thick). If u could get a dumb adapter and prove the Hologon can work with silent shutter mode that definitely clears up some myths! I had the opportunity to use this Lens converted and on an M9 and no doubt the sharpness is there corner to corner.. I recently used one on my G1 too. If only..

About the 90mm, I should be getting mine Monday and will report back.

I keep looking at the 35/2 and 28/2.8 and think I just should get them..
It was a very fast test. Since half the picture was in focus and the rest atrocious, I looked at the adapter and saw that it was mounted nearer on one side than on the other, aka wasn't fitting perfectly, not resting flat on the adapter. I assumed that the problem could rest with the screw activating the focus system on the other lenses, because the 16mm doesn't have a hole for it, so the adapter isn't aligned correctly on the lens mount. A cheap adapter could be modified to take the screw out and then may be (may be) the lens would fit correctly on the mount. From what I've read : the shorter the lens, the more important the mounting precision is.

Concerning the 28mm, may be the A7s would forgiven more than the higher resolution body. But I won't pay much to get it new. The 28mm FE is quite cheap small and one stop faster. It is also very sharp, but exhibit quite a lot of distorsion. Now of course, if you still have a Contax G film body and shoot film too, then the question is different. But the 28mm isn't as good as the 45mm.

Slingers

Not sure if anyone is interested but i took comparable shots to the G45 shots above today with the other contax G lenses i have on the v2 techart/deo tech adapter. I only have an A7S so they may not be of interest to everyone.

Slingers

G28

Not perfect. When edge to edge sharpness needed stopping down is the only option.

f/2.8

f/4

f/8

f/11

Slingers

G90

I did this test twice. First time i got to f/11 and noticed the white blemish. So i went and cleaned the lens and came back but it still was in the images. I don't usually use the techart adapter with this lens as it has problems but i believe what i'm seeing is a reflection issue from the adapter. This lens is great though.

f/2.8

f/4

f/8

f/11

Annna T

G90

I did this test twice. First time i got to f/11 and noticed the white blemish. So i went and cleaned the lens and came back but it still was in the images. I don't usually use the techart adapter with this lens as it has problems but i believe what i'm seeing is a reflection issue from the adapter. This lens is great though.
Thank you for your tests !

I wonder whether it is really a reflection problem because the blemish visibility is increasing as the lens is stopped down. I think it should be the reverse : the wider the aperture get the stronger and more visible the blemishes becomes ? Could it be a light leak instead ? Or I'm mistaken ?

HOw does the lens fit to the adapter ? Or the adapter to the body ?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I do a lot of infrared photography, and hot spots look very similar. They get more prominent as you stop down. They are caused by internal reflections.
I'm thinking Anna might be right about light leak from a poor fit of the adapter. You could rule light leak out by putting some gaffers tape around the mount and repeating the test.

Slingers

I saw the G35-70 was affected in the 70mm test as well but not as bad as the G90. I took out the G90 today to replicate the issue and then covered the adapter, then the mount as well, and finally tried with a screw on hood. They all didn't help but i could get rid of it by using my hand to block above and about a hands length out in front of the hood.

With the adapter covered.

my hand blocking the light

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
Metabones came out with a versionIV canon/E adapter specifically to better moderate internal flare compared to version III, and I agree that wider lenses with larger image circles could use the help
I use the huge ic lenses the canon the 17 and 24 and put my ver IV on the 17

Mark Muse

I do a lot of infrared photography, and hot spots look very similar. They get more prominent as you stop down. They are caused by internal reflections.
I'm thinking Anna might be right about light leak from a poor fit of the adapter. You could rule light leak out by putting some gaffers tape around the mount and repeating the test.
I use quite a number of adapters. I also use the 45G and 90G often but with Fotodiox and Metabones manual focus adapters. I have had flair problems like this with every adapter except the two Novoflex adapters I have. Even the Mirex Hassi to Nikon TS adapter is prone to flair. So I have taken to lining the insides of all of my adapters (except the Novoflex's) with black self-adhesive flocking. This is sold for people who build their own telescopes, and it is very reasonably priced when you consider how little it takes to do an adapter. They sell the stuff by the square foot. You might also find it in a craft supply store.

If anyone wants my source let me know and I will see if I can locate it. It has been a few years.

spence

I had the same issues with washed out/white ghosty patches with my Contax G 90mm and a cheap fotodiox adapter. It got somewhat worse the further I was stopped down, as well.

Gaffer's tape over the reflective parts of the adapter mostly solved it, but not completely. The flocking paper as someone above suggested might work better.

Or, build a baffle, to approximate what you see on the back of the Sony FE lenses, like this guy did, using a yogurt lid, hehe:

yashima

Hi everyone,

Got my Techart at last. Is it possible to have Focus Assist/Magnifier when fine tuning focus manually with the wheel?

MF Focus Assist On doesnt give me anything, when Focus Magnifier custom setting "not available in Single Shot AF (only focus mode allowed)"

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi everyone,

Got my Techart at last. Is it possible to have Focus Assist/Magnifier when fine tuning focus manually with the wheel?

MF Focus Assist On doesnt give me anything, when Focus Magnifier custom setting "not available in Single Shot AF (only focus mode allowed)"
This is how mine works: I use AFS and have focus on the back button AF/MF and focus magnify on C1 (focus is disabled on shutter). If i AF and then press the magnify, I get the "not available" message. If I AF and then move the MF wheel, then I can press C1 and get the magnify. I can press the shutter and continue to magnify for the next shot, as long as I don't press AF. If I use AF to get close, then I need to touch that MF wheel before magnifying.