The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII Setting Question - HELP

JMaher

Is there any way to turn off turning off Focus Area in the Control Wheel? I love this camera but I am continuously frustrated with this. I have the down button set as Focus Setting so that a single press will allow you to move the focus box around the screen but if my finger slips a little and turns the wheel I am out of this function (moving the focus square and now into Focus Area and setting the size/shape of the focus area. With all the customization there must be a way to turn off the wheel. I have it set it in the Custom Key Settings as "not set" and it doesn't do anything unless I am moving the focus box around then it turns itself on as Focus Area.

Hopefully I have made this clear (but afraid that I have not) but I need help :)

Jim

JMaher

Jim can you just set the dial to not set. That way it does nothing.
If that were only so. If your accidentally turn the wheel when focusing it activates Focus Area controls (if you use the down button to turn on focus setting)

I did find it is much less of a problem when you set the center button to standard than if you are moving focus points (and accidentally turn the wheel) it only makes the focus point larger or smaller which is much better but it doesn't seem to turn off completely. Maybe I have something else set incorrectly?

I do have the wheel set to "not set"

Jim

Last edited:

rhern213

I have the wheel, center button, and down button all turned off. And my focus settings on C2.

Maybe you can try this and see if it does the trick. Sorry I don't have an AF lens with me now to test it.

If that were only so. If your accidentally turn the wheel when focusing it activates Focus Area controls (if you use the down button to turn on focus setting)

I did find it is much less of a problem when you set the center button to standard than if you are moving focus points (and accidentally turn the wheel) it only makes the focus point larger or smaller which is much better but it doesn't seem to turn off completely. Maybe I have something else set incorrectly?

I do have the wheel set to "not set"

Jim